Lurker

Way too early WTT picks

Imar, Brooks, Gadsen, and Nelson off the top of my head. Big roads ahead? Yes. On the radar? Absolutely.
To be our reps or to make the team by placing 3rd?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Coach_J said:

This is our World Cup team.  Outside of Zain, who on this list is on anyone's radar to even have a chance to make the World team?

57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Zach Sanders, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Zane Richards, Champaign, Ill. (Titan Mercury WC/Illinois RTC)
61 kg/134 lbs. – Nico Megaludis, Pittsburgh, Pa. (Titan Mercury WC/Pittsburgh WC)
65 kg/143 lbs. – Zain Retherford, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
70 kg/154 lbs. – Jason Chamberlain, Fresno, Calif. (Titan Mercury WC/Valley RTC)
74 kg/163 lbs. – Isaiah Martinez, Champaign, Ill. (Titan Mercury WC/Illinois RTC)
79 kg/174 lbs. – Tommy Gantt, Raleigh, N.C. (Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC)
86 kg/189 lbs. – Sammy Brooks, Iowa City, Iowa (New York AC/Hawkeye WC)
92 kg/202 lbs. – Hayden Zillmer, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
97 kg/213 lbs. – Kyven Gadson, Ames, Iowa (Sunkist Kids/Cyclone RTC)
125 kg/275 lbs. – Tony Nelson, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)

If Garrett is not 100% or someone else can knock him off, I think Nico had a chance.  He was right there with Colon (in deep on what would have been the winning shot in the last minute) when they wrestled at the US Open last year.  

32 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

To be our reps or to make the team by placing 3rd?

Imar I can definitely see making a world team at some point sooner than later. His biggest obstacles are two current world champs (Burroughs and Dake). Nelson and Steveson are both close, like I said one injury to Gwiz away. Gadsen big drop off but could make worlds. Don't give those wrestlers a hard time - they have a better chance of medaling right now than anyone at the "meat grinder" 61 and 65. Also, I think Imar would win at least a match or two, if not medal if he can comfortably make 70 but those days are probably far behind him.

3 hours ago, Crash said:

With the Pan Am games 2 weeks before US open, we will be sending skeleton team there too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the guys that are already sitting in Final X? Colon, JB, Dake, DT, Cox, Snyder and Gwiz don't have to wrestle in the US Open. They might want to add World ranking points earned at continentals. 

Edited by 2td3nf

Well I didn't even think about the Pan Am's, so this may be a head scratcher for Team USA, as who they are going to send. But as far as Nico is concerned, I do think he has a pretty decent shot at making the team. Obviously Colon did great last year winning the Bronze, and Garrett who actually won the spot, got injured, are the two front runners, but I don't think that Nico is that far away from those two. Now we have seen Colon out there competing, and I haven't heard much about Garrett so who knows. But Nico has been named to the World Cup squad and he should get four good matches. This should help in his preparation for the US Open, and his effort to make a Senior World team as our number one guy. 

Nico can wrestle with anyone that doesn't have an elite double.  Garrett is an awful matchup for him because he does have that and it completely neutralizes Nico's amazing splits/scrambling.  

I think 61 is where perception and reality are most divergent.  The perception seems to be that Colon and Garrett are in a class by themselves and there is a huge gap to everyone else.  I would say Garrett (if healthy) is clearly the favorite but even after him, there isn't too big of a gap to guys like Colon, Nico (wrestled Colon close and got 3rd last year), Graff (teched Colon in their only FS meeting and lost 5-3 to Garrett), Brewer (teched Colon at 2017 WTT), and (when healthy) Gross (who has wrestled both Colon and Garrett close).

Of course, Colon has a bye to FInal X, but I would make Garrett a big favorite to beat him if he gets there and I would make any of the rest of those guys a toss-up if they get that far.

18 hours ago, de4856 said:

.....But as far as Nico is concerned, I do think he has a pretty decent shot at making the team....

Are they awarding points in FS for splits now?

20 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

What about the guys that are already sitting in Final X? Colon, JB, Dake, DT, Cox, Snyder and Gwiz don't have to wrestle in the US Open. They might want to add World ranking points earned at continentals. 

That is a possibility, yes.  I could see a couple of them going but not too many

On 2/28/2019 at 2:41 PM, treep2000 said:

FS

57 Fix (i suggest he beats out Gilman)

61 Colon.  Note:  I'm also on the Whitford bandwagon.  If he goes 61kg, look out!

65 Retherford over Oliver.  Zain gets his revenge when he needs it the most.

70 Nolf.  Calling it now.

74 Dake over Burroughs (if he goes 74kg)

79 Hall over Ringer.  Hall's freestyle chops are even better than his folkstyle, and we hadn't seem him freestyle it for over a year now. I have this gut feeling that he'll be a MONSTER.

86 Taylor

92 Cox over Nickal.  This match is going to be EPIC.

97 Snyder over doesn't matter.  No one domestically will make it close this year.  

285 Gwiz over Gable.  Gwiz is a horrible style matchup for Gable.  

You could argue a few of those, but my biggest point of contention comes with Hall over Ringer. I don’t think Hall has the size or offense to take out Ringer. On the other hand, someone like Valencia does and has. Also Ringer said he would probably move up to 86 kg in the future.

I'm sorry for asking such a basic question, but I am very new to following int'l wrestling. Reading this thread has made me so excited to see who makes the US World Team. So here is the question: When is the tournament that decides who makes the team this year? Or is it multiple tournaments? Thank you and again sorry for asking a question that is probably really obvious to everyone else.

1 hour ago, RJChicago said:

I'm sorry for asking such a basic question, but I am very new to following int'l wrestling. Reading this thread has made me so excited to see who makes the US World Team. So here is the question: When is the tournament that decides who makes the team this year? Or is it multiple tournaments? Thank you and again sorry for asking a question that is probably really obvious to everyone else.

I could type it out but it's all here:

http://content.themat.com/forms/2019-WTT-MFS.pdf

You win Final X, you are on the team assuming you've been competing clean.

Edited by misterc

On 3/24/2019 at 1:52 PM, Sticks said:

You could argue a few of those, but my biggest point of contention comes with Hall over Ringer. I don’t think Hall has the size or offense to take out Ringer. On the other hand, someone like Valencia does and has. Also Ringer said he would probably move up to 86 kg in the future.

I'll revise my picks if you like?  I think we've all learned a few things the past few months:

57 - NEVER count out Spencer "Freaking" Lee.  I learned my lesson.  I thought he was going to fold.  I was wrong.  Oops.  He will be a factor, if he chooses to be a factor

61 - Moving Fix to 61kg for this year, and potentially for the foreseeable future.  I dunno.  I just think he's a better wrestler and a better version of himself when he a.) allows himself to eat/drink/be merry and b.) opens up.  Freestyle allows his style to blossom, while Folk, not as much (why, I dunno... still scratching my head).  

65 - I may move Oliver back to being over Zain.  Yianni is probably 3rd or 4th still behind these guys.  I wonder which Stieber shows up.  The one that won 4 NCAA titles and a WC or the Vegan one that signed a non-aggression pact with other wrestlers? I dunno... that's a head scratcher too.

70 - I still like Nolf.  Call me crazy... I still do

74 - Regardless what peeps say, I don't believe it's Mekhi's time yet.  It's still JB's World, and Dake if he chooses to drop.

79 - This is Dake's World.  I do see Hall and Ringer as the top two here, and believe Valencia will begin his ascent plan.

86 - DT all the way.  No one domestically can touch him (at least, I don't think).  We'll see how Valencia does.

92 - Mark my words, Bo Nickal is going to make MAJOR noise

97 - Snyder's World.

HWT:  Gwizz and Gable are top two at this weight still.  Will be interesting to see if Cassar wants a shot.  He has the TD skills, but he may overexpose himself (other than taking his clothes off for interviews).  

Well Cassar now own a NCAA title and two wins over the phenom Gable, I think that if he is going to go Freestyle full time, I believe he has to be included in the conversation at 125, however, I don't think he beats Gwizz this year. 

I believe Nickal is great, and if he tries to go 92 this year, I believe that he will do very very well, but in the end I think J'Den retains his spot this year. 

At 65, I have no idea how this will play out, but I would like to see Yianni give it a go. 

61, We have a lot talent in the collegiate level, hopefully we see some of our big stars give it a go as well. 

70, Perhaps Nolf will have the best chance on unseating any of our current World Team members.

The remaining spots will stay put. 

Edited by de4856
Additional information

On 3/8/2019 at 3:49 PM, rpm002 said:

If Garrett is not 100% or someone else can knock him off, I think Nico had a chance.  He was right there with Colon (in deep on what would have been the winning shot in the last minute) when they wrestled at the US Open last year.  

Nico can't win fantasy matches. It's against the rules.

it's real hard for me to take Nolf without really seeing him wrestle any top level int'l competition on top of seeing him almost lose (close call on the TD in NCAA's) to Hidlay. Is Hidlay a better FS wrestler than Nolf?

and i'm also not completely sold on JO, he has never reached his post college potential and not sure he ever will. Didn't he just get tech'd in his last tournament final?

my  $.02.

1 hour ago, DuckFor2 said:

it's real hard for me to take Nolf without really seeing him wrestle any top level int'l competition on top of seeing him almost lose (close call on the TD in NCAA's) to Hidlay. Is Hidlay a better FS wrestler than Nolf?

and i'm also not completely sold on JO, he has never reached his post college potential and not sure he ever will. Didn't he just get tech'd in his last tournament final?

my  $.02.

The guy that beat Oliver just took 2nd at 2018 worlds and is a hammer. JO is at least on par domestically, but 65kg as a whole has not seen the podium much so expectations shuold be held accordingly until proven otherwise. I *think* the last person around 65/66 to medal was Franklin Gomez who took silver for Puerto Rico in 2011.

1 hour ago, DuckFor2 said:

my  $.02.

He had a very close freestyle match vs Green when he was in the midst of winning world medals. Nolf was also way younger and wasn't do all that much freestyle training. 

On 3/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, Housebuye said:

He had a very close freestyle match vs Green when he was in the midst of winning world medals. Nolf was also way younger and wasn't do all that much freestyle training. 

Here's the match. I disagree that this match shows Nolf is going to be a world team member this year. Green was up big on points and shut it down at the end. He was more so avoiding a big move and giving up smaller points. We'll see for sure soon either way.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:52 PM, Sticks said:

Too much credit given to Snyder. He is off, results internationally have been trending down and if you talk to people around his training, the gap domestically is not wide.  I could see him and cox needing 3 matches to determine the team!  I hope Snyder is just adjusting to carrying the torch for USA and will get the ship righted in time. 

Even though Cox has accepted the bye to Final X I hope he goes to the Open and/or the Trials.

Even though medalists get the bye I would still prefer they were required to wrestle the WTT still. Regardless of place, I believe they then earn the right to defend their spot in a Best of 3 at Final X against the highest placer. If the returning medalist wins the challenge tourney then have the 2nd and 3rd do a best of 3 for the right to challenge at Final X.

It would give our #1s more matches domestically.

Too much credit given to Snyder. He is off, results internationally have been trending down and if you talk to people around his training, the gap domestically is not wide.  I could see him and cox needing 3 matches to determine the team!  I hope Snyder is just adjusting to carrying the torch for USA and will get the ship righted in time. 
Maybe not enough credit is given to Snyder. Four senior level medals, 3 gold and one silver is mind boggling at his age. Especially for an American.

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Even though Cox has accepted the bye to Final X I hope he goes to the Open and/or the Trials.

Even though medalists get the bye I would still prefer they were required to wrestle the WTT still. Regardless of place, I believe they then earn the right to defend their spot in a Best of 3 at Final X against the highest placer. If the returning medalist wins the challenge tourney then have the 2nd and 3rd do a best of 3 for the right to challenge at Final X.

It would give our #1s more matches domestically.

I don't think our guys need more matches domestically.  They need them internationally.  Our overall weaknesses as a country is adjusting to the strategies, overcome the extremely subjective international officiating, and most of all improving par terre. Once our guys make the team I don't think domestic competition helps that much.  I also think when our guys are traveling overseas it greatly increases their placing at the world's and Olympics.  If we were Russia it would be different.  They have potential medalists a few deep in almost every weight.  Other than Varner and Snyder,  and the JD, DT, JB era we aren't 2 or 3 deep threats for any medal let alone gold in any weight. Not seriousy highly likely threats anyway. 

Is this even allowed?  I would assume that it is not, but maybe I'm missing something.