Jump to content
WillieBoy

Why not a Tournament of Champions?

Recommended Posts

A week or two after the Division 1 NCAA tournament why not a Tournament of Champions?

Each weight with the winner of their respective Division.

A final test to see who comes out on top. Don't think it will all be Division 1 guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s really no reason the NWCA couldn’t put this on much like the All-Star dual. However a number of the D-1 guys will have training schedules focused on US open and national team implications. Throws a little bit of a wrench in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a cool idea, but there is no reason for D1 guys to participate (though some undoubtedly would). You gain nothing from beating up on lower division guys, and it would look bad if you lost. And if they aren't already training for freestyle/greco, they are likely looking forward to a break and not making weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

A week or two after the Division 1 NCAA tournament why not a Tournament of Champions?

Each weight with the winner of their respective Division.

A final test to see who comes out on top. Don't think it will all be Division 1 guys.

I think more realistically, if there's really a guy in D2 or D3 that's good enough to knock off a D1 champ, let's try to get him matched up with the top D1 guys somewhere. But most of these matches would be a waste of everyone's time.  

The top ranked guys in the lower divisions at the moment wouldn't stand a chance, but every once in awhile they might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concept:  Love it.

Execution:  Unless there is reason/purpose, I'm not sure I understand the WIIFM answer to that question?

I like the notion of an "All-Division" Folkstyle Tourney.  Maybe to "spruce it up" a bit more, maybe... and bear with me... it's more like Midlands (invitational), whereby:

* All Division Champs from that year are invited

* All Division Champs from previous years, regardless of age, are invited

* Multiple Time AA's from All Divisions, both current year and previous years, are invited (to round out the field)

* Select invitations are sent to those who have had previous National/World level credentials (i.e. Pico)

In this instance, Taylor, Dake, Burroughs, and anyone active on the Senior circuit could get their folkstyle back "on", and then some of those guys that aren't freestyling or going Greco that are still coaching (i.e. Schopp, Jordan(s)) could choose to participate.  Imagine if Cormier came back to give it a go vs. Cox? :-)

It's almost like Kumite from Bloodsport!  

Maybe... those that have graduated can reap some financial incentive, and those that have yet to graduate, the winnings would be placed in a trust for post-graduation access?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

Guy comes up with a great idea and every post is about why it wouldn't work.   

I questioned it, but I built on the idea to flesh it out further, so not every post was why it wouldn't work... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lurker said:

There’s really no reason the NWCA couldn’t put this on much like the All-Star dual. However a number of the D-1 guys will have training schedules focused on US open and national team implications. Throws a little bit of a wrench in. 

The NWCA is intimated by Sanderson & Brands which I understand why. Unfortunately it will never happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Concept:  Love it.

Execution:  Unless there is reason/purpose, I'm not sure I understand the WIIFM answer to that question?

I like the notion of an "All-Division" Folkstyle Tourney.  Maybe to "spruce it up" a bit more, maybe... and bear with me... it's more like Midlands (invitational), whereby:

* All Division Champs from that year are invited

* All Division Champs from previous years, regardless of age, are invited

* Multiple Time AA's from All Divisions, both current year and previous years, are invited (to round out the field)

* Select invitations are sent to those who have had previous National/World level credentials (i.e. Pico)

In this instance, Taylor, Dake, Burroughs, and anyone active on the Senior circuit could get their folkstyle back "on", and then some of those guys that aren't freestyling or going Greco that are still coaching (i.e. Schopp, Jordan(s)) could choose to participate.  Imagine if Cormier came back to give it a go vs. Cox? :-)

It's almost like Kumite from Bloodsport!  

Maybe... those that have graduated can reap some financial incentive, and those that have yet to graduate, the winnings would be placed in a trust for post-graduation access?

This is already being done. It’s called the Midlands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gowrestle said:

The NWCA is intimated by Sanderson & Brands which I understand why. Unfortunately it will never happen. 

It may never happen but I don’t really think that will be any part of the reason why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This happened for two wrestlers just a few years ago. Joey Davis was a 4 timer at Notre Dame College and might have even been unbeaten. He wrestled Alex Deiringer at Beat the Streets and I guess that was freestyle but Ringer beat him easily, 9-0. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

This happened for two wrestlers just a few years ago. Joey Davis was a 4 timer at Notre Dame College and might have even been unbeaten. He wrestled Alex Deiringer at Beat the Streets and Ringer beat him 9-0. 

Dieringer is also up there with the all-time greats in DI, so that match is not exactly a great reference comparison. There are some DI champs that Davis could have held his own against. Then again, Davis wasn't your average DII champ. Most of which would probably get hammered. So maybe it is reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Which non-D1 heavyweight do you think has the best chance?

Probably Chris Eddins @ 149.  National champ last year with a few losses--he's undefeated this year and crushing everyone. 

Also, if you're ranking champs, whoever wins 149 is going to be pretty low on your list of best p4p.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Probably Chris Eddins @ 149.  National champ last year with a few losses--he's undefeated this year and crushing everyone. 

Also, if you're ranking champs, whoever wins 149 is going to be pretty low on your list of best p4p.  

Thanks.  But I was replying to Cinnabon's opinion that heavyweight had the best chance of an upset.  I was wondering which non-D1 heavyweight he thought had the best chance.  I agree with you that 149 might have the "weakest" D1 champ this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should just go back to giving a spot at the D1 tournament to D2 champs. (I'm not sure if D3 champs also got to participate.) I'm sure D2 champs are better than at least some NCAA qualifiers.

Haselrig famously won three D1 tournaments as a D2 wrestler.

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

In past years, Tervel Dlagnev

I thought we were talking about this year.  I agree that Dlagnev was probably the best bet to pull off a win win against Fox in 08, but I like King Cole in 07.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Thanks.  But I was replying to Cinnabon's opinion that heavyweight had the best chance of an upset.  I was wondering which non-D1 heavyweight he thought had the best chance.  I agree with you that 149 might have the "weakest" D1 champ this year.

Ah, right.  A stupid idea, but not surprising given the source.  Gable beats Fanning and Teacher with ease, although both guys would be solid qualifiers at the D1 level I think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×