Sublime607

Qualifiers have been released

Big Ten only gets 6 automatic qualifiers at 149 and 5 at 197.  It seems like Malik Amine and Jackson Striggow are going to have to have very good performances at the conference tournament to qualify for the NCAA tourney.

For PSU some danger:

Bravo Young, top 8 qualify.  7 top 20 133 pounders in the B10.  RBY is 6th best, but Thornton, ranked 7, beat him.

Berge/Verk, top 6 qualify.  Berge is 4th best 149 pounder in the B10 by InterMat ranking but has only wrestled about 50% of the matches this season.  Rumors that he has trouble making 149.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

38 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

For PSU some danger:

Bravo Young, top 8 qualify.  7 top 20 133 pounders in the B10.  RBY is 6th best, but Thornton, ranked 7, beat him.

Berge/Verk, top 6 qualify.  Berge is 4th best 149 pounder in the B10 by InterMat ranking but has only wrestled about 50% of the matches this season.  Rumors that he has trouble making 149.

At-large much?

Eagerly anticipating SHP's breakdown as to what name is specifically tied to each of these AQs.  Makes possible the "who needs a Bid" thread during conference tourney weekend.

157 is going to be tough for some guys at Big Tens. The weight is allocated 9, but 12 guys are ranked in the top 20 (FLO rankings):

#1-Jason Nolf (Penn State)

#2-Tyler Berger (Nebraska)

#3-Ryan Deakin (Northwestern)

#5-Alec Pantaleo (Michigan)

#7-Kaleb Young (Iowa)

#8-Ke-Shawn Hayes (Ohio State)

#9-Eric Barone (Illinois)

#10-Steve Bleise (Minnesota)

#16-Griffin Parriott (Purdue)

#17-John Van Brill (Rutgers)

#18-Jake Danishek (Indiana)

#19-Jake Tucker (Michigan State)

47 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

RBY would definitely get an at large if he had a bad tourney.  Berge i don't think so.

Why and what makes you so sure? I'm an RBY fan, but his only top victory was against Plether, a one point match in OT. He's been up to the task against the other competition, but it has been sub par competition at that. At large bids off go to guys who get upset and don't qualify. A large number of upsets could hurt his chances. His best bet is to beat 1 or 2 guys ranked above him and take the politics out of the decision. Even at that , a 6 qualifier out of the conference usually won't yield too many points at NCAAs. Maybe 2-4. It would take a few upsets there before he's really contributing to the team cause.

41 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

After watching Barlow McGhee get an at-large last season, anything is possible.

It totally depends on how many upsets there are at that weight and if there are any extra at larges.  Sometimes guys ranked just outside the top 20 are left in the cold and other times anyone with a pulse gets in.  

6 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

Mizzou with all 10 earned AQ's.  Could they break their record of 7 MAC champs this year?

Possibly, but I wouldn't thump my chest about it.  Besides Mizzou, the MAC is just bad this year, even for the MAC.

27 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Possibly, but I wouldn't thump my chest about it.  Besides Mizzou, the MAC is just bad this year, even for the MAC.

At one point the MAC was starting to rise up in its conference status, and that’s besides just what Mizzu was bringing.  But this year they have clearly taken a step backward.  

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, PUWrestler said:

According to SHP,

184 No auto qualifier for Oklahoma State

174 No auto qualifier for Oklahoma State

165 Chandler Rogers qualifier for Oklahoma State

Interesting!

Neither Jacobe Smith (174) nor Dakota Geer (184) had have enough bouts to earn an RPI, and had not competed at their new weights in the past 30 days to earn a Coaches' Panel ranking.

Edited by lu_alum

I do follow the sport. I'm curious about the other Smith and the situation at 165. 

Here's my question:

1) Does this mean Chandler Rogers is wrestling 165?

2) If the answer is "No," then he should not get the auto qualifier

3) If the answer is "Yes," then does that mean that Smith's son is out?

4) If not, and there is a possibility that he goes back to 174, why not preserve his auto qualifier?

5) And if that bumps Jacobe back up, then why not preserve his auto qualifier?

Edited by PUWrestler
Clarification

1 hour ago, PUWrestler said:

I do follow the sport. I'm curious about the other Smith and the situation at 165. 

Here's my question:

1) Does this mean Chandler Rogers is wrestling 165?

2) If the answer is "No," then he should not get the auto qualifier

3) If the answer is "Yes," then does that mean that Smith's son is out?

4) If not, and there is a possibility that he goes back to 174, why not preserve his auto qualifier?

5) And if that bumps Jacobe back up, then why not preserve his auto qualifier?

Weigel 197lb was injured, Marsden was not good at 97 they bumped 84 to 97 and 74 to 84 and put Joe in at 74.  Weigel back so Geer back to 84 and Jacobe to 74, this has been in play for several weeks getting back down to weight. Joe & Chandler at 65, I have my doubts if Joe makes it.  Be silly to bump guys back up, pretty sure this is the plan & been known every since Weigel came back healthy.  Those who follow the sport have seen what's going on.  AQs don't matter, if they aren't good enough to steal a spot then they aren't good enough to score points at NCAA which is the only thing that matters.