Sublime607

Qualifiers have been released

27 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

Just from a quick look as a Cornell fan our weak weights match up really well with the automatics.

If they wrestle to form, at least seven will go to NCAAs, and two more have a good shot (at those weak weights).  165 is a longshot.  Amazingly, Army got as many AQs (eight) as did Cornell, and one more than Lehigh.

If they wrestle to form, at least seven will go to NCAAs, and two more have a good shot (at those weak weights).  165 is a longshot.  Amazingly, Army got as many AQs (eight) as did Cornell, and one more than Lehigh.

Army’s EIWA dual schedule was comprised of the lower level conference teams, which would help to build Win Pct and RPI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just wrote a preview for BIG XII and I was rather confused on what Oklahoma State would do in regards to their weight classes. 

I guess the way I see is that they'll put Chandler at 165, Joe at 174 and Jacobe at 184.   With Preston at 197 and Dakota sitting this year's out.  

That's what I see happening, but I could be wrong. (And I'm sure long before the tournament I'll be told I'm wrong at least once.) 

12 hours ago, klehner said:

165 is the class that we most likely miss out on. But on a side note Dean and Deprez should get a 2 and 3 seed looking forward to watching that matchup.

Johnny Thompson  -  (Not saying you are wrong, just a different opinion!!!)

My opinion is if they entered Joe Smith at 174 and Jacobe Smith at 184, both would have earned allocation because both have wrestled those weights in the last 30 days.

I think they entered Jacobe Smith at 174 and Dakota Geer at 184.  Neither was eligible for an allocation, because they haven't wrestled those weights in the last 30 days.

As far as 165, if Chandler ends up with the spot, the conference keeps the spot, but if Joe wrestles, the spot goes back to at large pool.

Edited by buf87

2 hours ago, JohnnyThompsonnum1 said:

I just wrote a preview for BIG XII and I was rather confused on what Oklahoma State would do in regards to their weight classes. 

I guess the way I see is that they'll put Chandler at 165, Joe at 174 and Jacobe at 184.   With Preston at 197 and Dakota sitting this year's out.  

That's what I see happening, but I could be wrong. (And I'm sure long before the tournament I'll be told I'm wrong at least once.) 

Joe Smith and Jacobe Smith have both been cutting down consistently and weighing in well under 174 and 184, plus John Smith said that Jacobe will be their 174.  So at this point it's pretty set in stone for Jacobe at 174 and Greer at 184.  The big question is Joe vs Chandler at 165. 

Edited by Gantry

14 hours ago, klehner said:

Wisconsin only earned six qualifiers.  I wonder how many Army would have earned if they wrestled UW’s schedule?

On 3/2/2019 at 10:29 AM, jchapman said:

Wisconsin only earned six qualifiers.  I wonder how many Army would have earned if they wrestled UW’s schedule?

Of course it would be less. But, if Army could get in everybody Wisconsin does, have as long to practice, not as many outside "distractions ", not have a five-year commitment, and so on and so on it would probably be a little closer. It's almost impossible to compare two schools at all much less 2 from different wrestling conferences with completely different goals for lack of a better word. I get what you're saying though.

4 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Of course it would be less. But, if Army could get in everybody Wisconsin does, have as long to practice, not as many outside "distractions ", not have a five-year commitment, and so on and so on it would probably be a little closer. It's almost impossible to compare two schools at all much less 2 from different wrestling conferences with completely different goals for lack of a better word. I get what you're saying though.

I guess it gets down to what the allocations system is trying to accomplish.   Is it trying to get the best wrestlers to the National Tournament, or is it trying to spread the wealth around and get wrestlers from many conferences and programs to represent? 

26 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I guess it gets down to what the allocations system is trying to accomplish.   Is it trying to get the best wrestlers to the National Tournament, or is it trying to spread the wealth around and get wrestlers from many conferences and programs to represent? 

I think it is a blend of those two.  They want the best wrestlers, but they also want to maintain/increase regional appeal.  Plus, every qualifying tournament champ qualifies, which obviously gives the weaker conferences more proportional value since the Socon champ would quite possibly not even place 10th in the B1G.