Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

First Huge Upset at NCAA Tournament

Not an upset... It made sense. Hamlin's only (real) losses were to #1 Ruth and #2 Bennett. He beat #4 Bosak and #5 Steinhaus (all star).

So by your logic, Bosak wins EIWA's and was unable to avenge his regular season loss because Hamlin lost badly, injury or NOT, prior to the finals and should be penalized while Hamlin should get a free pass? This happened 2 other times with Von Ohlen and Fleming. YOU ABSOLUTELY should be penalized for not winning your conference qualifiers when the guy who wins it was ranked so close to you. It is a qualifier for a reason. You wrestle until you make the AQ you get enough of a prize for qualifying. You DON'T deserved to be seeded like the loss/forfeit didn't happen!!

By the same logic, Bosak was still sick recovering from Staph when he lost to Hamlin earlier in the year.

I'm not even going to point out the guy is the returning national champion.

But thats not the same logic, Bosak competed in the match, sick or recovering, while the other never materialized. regardless, i can't agree with bosak getting the lower seed. previous ncaa champ, eiwa champ,...what else do they need

He's the underdog and Welch has improved (Winston hasnt). But he still has a shot and I'd rather face Welch than Green or St John.

Welch can also be kind of wild and sloppy, like his first match against Green where he fell in a huge hole

Welch has at least 2 obvious advantages over Winston that are decisive in my view: he can go hard for a full 7 minutes + OT; and he can ride.

Winston, over the course of his career, has faded badly in the third period, and even worse, as a fifth year senior, still can't get out on bottom.

People are seriously struggling with the concept of UPSET.

No surprise it's the PSU fans.

The concept is fine with me. I just get a chuckle watching Iowa fans predict Penn State losses while also predicting things like Burak beating Kilgore. You, me and everyone else knows that isn't going to happen.

I get a chuckle when people like you aren't smart enough to realize that the only person to mention Burak over Kilgore is one of the biggest PSU fans on this board. Nice try though.

If that was posted by a Penn State fan then I stand corrected. That prediction seems pretty off the wall, though, considering Kilgore finished 3rd at Olympic tryouts, he's a past champion here, and he is undefeated and an absolute hammer this year.

I'm a Penn State fan and I don't even have Wright beating Kilgore, and Wright is 10x more accomplished than Burak.

My pick is tOSU's Paddock over #3 Vinson, Binghamton. Fourth match of the tournament.

Paddock will be thinking, this kid didn't even win NY states in HS, which I won four times, I got 'im. And he will.

How has the four NYS titles panned out for Ian? I think the no timer had the better college career.

My pick is tOSU's Paddock over #3 Vinson, Binghamton. Fourth match of the tournament.

Paddock will be thinking, this kid didn't even win NY states in HS, which I won four times, I got 'im. And he will.

How has the four NYS titles panned out for Ian? I think the no timer had the better college career.

When Vinson was a junior, like Paddock is, he had the same resume: 2x NCAA qualifier.

I'm a Penn State fan and I don't even have Wright beating Kilgore, and Wright is 10x more accomplished than Burak.

..why not?

I love Wright, so don't get me wrong. It is just that Kilgore is so strong it is hard to get anything going against him. If anyone in the field can do it, it would be Wright. Kilgore did pretty well at Olympic Trials (freestyle) and he is unbeaten this year as well. My heart wants Wright, but my head says Kilgore. Hope to be wrong.

Jade Rauser over Jesse Delgado. Not saying it will happen but it's one I'll be keeping my eye on because I think Rauser is a terrible draw for a two seed in the opening round.

I was thinking that too, but you had the guts to say it.

I have seen Rauser wrestle a couple of times and he is very, very high motor. Should be an all out brawl with Delgado.

Since Vinson and Paddock are friends I really doubt he's thinking that. They are both probably thinking it sucks to have a first round match be a friend, but they will both go and wrestle hard.

If Wright can stick the boots in EARLY and tire Kilgore out...he'll have a great shot.

Is Kilgore the son of Rod Kilgore- the old Sooner 2 timer, by any chance?

..why not?

I love Wright, so don't get me wrong. It is just that Kilgore is so strong it is hard to get anything going against him. If anyone in the field can do it, it would be Wright. Kilgore did pretty well at Olympic Trials (freestyle) and he is unbeaten this year as well. My heart wants Wright, but my head says Kilgore. Hope to be wrong.

When Vinson was a junior, like Paddock is, he had the same resume: 2x NCAA qualifier.

Brianj...

Paddock isn't done yet.

But that wasn't my point.

My point was that when you wrestle someone who is familiar and you have a history of having done substantially better, it helps with confidence. This happens even at the most elite levels. Where's Lewboo with his "strongest kid from his block" story when you need him?

Clearly, Paddock is the underdog and Vinson is the substantial favorite based on accomplishments. That's why this thread is named first HUGE UPSET at NCAA tournament.

I like my pick as the most likely first huge upset.

After the second round, Penn State will have their 133,141,149,157, and HWT, in consolation round. 8-)

I don't think there 157 will be, but those other guys probably will. I actually think Dylan is in a great position to make the Finals. He's had a lot of success against Welch, so that's a good quarter for him to be in, and then Green is the 4 seed on that bracket, and I think Dylan is undefeated against him.

That said, those other guys dropping is possibly a blessing for Penn State, since they'll be able to rack up bonus points against the weaker opposition that loses in the early rounds. Pearsall and Alton are pinners.

Why was Tessari pulled from the Big Tens? I'm sure I missed this somewhere...

I don't think the exact reason was made public. Violation of team rules or something like that. OSU fans might have more information by now.

TBar1977 wrote:

..why not?

Because Shiller is going to beat Wright beforehand.

I also like the Dong prediction over DSJ.