Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

First Huge Upset at NCAA Tournament

OK, more of a homer-wish than a true prediction, but the title says "huge upset":

Unseeded Tasser over #8 Alton. (And yes I know Alton beat him 7-3 in the dual. If Tasser can keep from getting behind early and get to the third period tied or within a point or two I think he could do it.)

This won't be the first upset of the tourney, but I'll pick Monk of NDSU to beat Caldwell and reach the semi finals . :o

when a 5 seed beats a 4 seed in the quarters is it really an "upset"?

I see what you're saying, but everyone expects a Caldwell-Dake semifinal. Would a #3, knocking off a #2 be an upset? (Yates vs Taylor)...Yes.

Not a bad upset pick, Med Man. How was your trip back from AJP Tournament?

Thanks Doc_Hfuhruhurr. As you know, the Abbas Jadidi Photoshop Tourney was held in Possum Grape, Arkansas this year, so the drive back wasn't too bad. My good friend Pat (Smith) drove most of the way...and no, before you ask, there weren't no DUIs or nuthin...Pat is beyond that now.

But back to the topic....our biggest upset in the Jad Tourney was the 14th seed (Jad Hawkeye shown below) making the semis.

hawkeyes.jpg

Winston won't even get past McCulley in the First round. If anything McCulley is the one that has the upset potential against Welch.

Mark Branch is progressively building a competitive program.

I'll add another long shot; Tyler Cox, Wyoming over Jarrod Garnett, Virginia Tech

When will people stop predicting Thorn to do something? The cut hasn't helped him at all

What do you know? He is doing whats best for the team. Shut your mouth.

Being as you're from MinnySoota you may have heard of this phrase "A snowballs chance in he$$" IMO, that's Thorn's chance of beating Waters.

Like someone said earlier, Thorn going 0-2 is more likely than him beating Waters.

DocHfuhruhurr, I picked Yates over Taylor and basically got flogged by PSU/Taylor fans, so apparently a 3 beating a 2 in the semis is a big deal.

You're still not getting it. It is not what you characterized above where "a 3 beating a 2 in the semi's" is a big deal. It is a normal 3 beating this particular 2, that people have trouble envisioning.

I don't know what their deal is. But there are a bunch of dangerous wrestlers on that team. If they could put together a "best case scenario" performance at NCAAs they could easily finish in the top 4 or 5.

Maybe 5th, but which of PSU, Iowa, Oklahoma State and Minnesota do you seem them beating in that best case scenario?

Mizzou, with a best case scenario, could finish above Iowa and Minnesota. I don't think they will finish above both but they could very realistically finish 4th while Iowa and Minni finish 3rd and 5th in no particular order. Mizzou has a very realistic shot at two finalist, and a potential two champs. Dom doesn't get talked about as much as Nelson but he is a serious threat to win the NCAA and I really believe he will. Waters gets pushed back in line behind McD, Mega, and Del, but when you look at commons he has won equally convincing, and beat McD. I think what else gets overlooked is the fact that Sammie Henson is now at Mizzou. That does make a difference. Most people are picking Delgado, but Waters could realistically win it. If you then look at McKormick and Haynes there are two more strong cannidates for AA with McKormick top 4. Throw in Houdashelt, Toal, Bradley, and Porter and you have 4 more possible AA. It is extremely unlikely all will AA, but it will only take one of them to AA for Mizzou to be a potential top 4. So in a best case scenario, and very possible, Mizzou could end up with 2 finalist plus 3 more AA. If Iowa or Minni fail two put two into the finals they could find themselves in 5th. The same could be said for OSU, but they are probably going to string together several All Americans.

Freshman Nahshon Garrett knocks off Matt McDonough in quarter-final.

good pick...especially considering McD will be wrestling 1 hour post weigh-in on Friday morning.

If he gets to finals McDonough probably then becomes the favorite , enough time to get big and strong ,

I think tide turns in his favor. I actually am Penn State fan but think Delagado has been exciting to watch

and have been rooting for him. Just see MdDonough having enough time will be a huge boost!

Freshman Nahshon Garrett knocks off Matt McDonough in quarter-final.

good pick...especially considering McD will be wrestling 1 hour post weigh-in on Friday morning.

If he gets to finals McDonough probably then becomes the favorite , enough time to get big and strong ,

I think tide turns in his favor. I actually am Penn State fan but think Delagado has been exciting to watch

and have been rooting for him. Just see MdDonough having enough time will be a huge boost!

It's not a weight issue, my man...

I'll troll this thread.

1. Vinson isn't going to lose to Paddock. Paddock is a 141'er and Donnie usually struggles when he can't bully tie ups. I don't see Paddock out quicking him so it isn't happening.

Biggest difference for Donnie this year is having Teyon Ware everyday to push him.

2. Winston over Welch. False. Not even worth addressing.

3. Missouri upsets: Inconsistency at Nationals, particularly the lower weights( ie: Waters losing to Z)

Don't think they are going to show that this year. Sammie may be a traveling show but the guy gets a ton out of lighter guys and is arguably the best lightweight coach in the country. You can see the difference in Waters and McCormick this year especially.

4. "Throwing the boots in on Kilgore" Kilgore isn't getting ridden by anyone. Ask Foster or Simaz about trying to stay on top of that guerilla. It cost both of them. Q is going to have to take him down. That is if he can get by Wilps.

Winston won't even get past McCulley in the First round. If anything McCulley is the one that has the upset potential against Welch.

I dont know they guy but hes unseeded with a bunch of losses so I doubt it

Heres another - Durso over steiber. Durso loses in the finals to maple

+1

I also think the Paddock-Vinson match is an interesting first round match. Paddock has the ability to pull the upset. I look at it similarly to Dake vs Vinson last year. On paper, it didn't appear like Vinson had a chance but he was able to do it.

Green vs Alton: I agree that Alton poses problems for Green(as indicated by past results) for the fact that he is one guy that matches Green on his feet. Neither are great on the mat but neutral is about even. That said, I think Hickman beats Alton before that match.

Ness Vs Alton: Just the opposite of above. Alton can win the battle on their feet but wonder if Ness abilities on top will be too much late in the match.

I also think the Paddock-Vinson match is an interesting first round match. Paddock has the ability to pull the upset. I look at it similarly to Dake vs Vinson last year. On paper, it didn't appear like Vinson had a chance but he was able to do it.

Green vs Alton: I agree that Alton poses problems for Green(as indicated by past results) for the fact that he is one guy that matches Green on his feet. Neither are great on the mat but neutral is about even. That said, I think Hickman beats Alton before that match.

Ness Vs Alton: Just the opposite of above. Alton can win the battle on their feet but wonder if Ness abilities on top will be too much late in the match.

Except the Dake-Vinson match was 2 years ago :oops: