gowrestle

NCAA Made Big Mistake

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

When it does head back periodically to the midwest, switch from StL to the Paris of the Plains, Sprint Center in Kansas City.  Surrounded by the Power and Light district with 45 different bars and restaurants, plenty of hotel space, and 3 large venues within a 10 min. walk which would all be perfect for the NCAA Experience.  Have been great hosts of the Big 12 wrestling and basketball tournaments and multiple March Madness events.  KC hosted in 2003 at the historic craphole Kemper Arena.  Sprint Center is a beautiful new(ish) facility right off the interstate and 15 min. from the airport (and you don't have to look over your shoulder every 20 sec. to make sure you don't get mugged).

Related image

Was there for Big 12's a few years ago. To me, the issue there would be floor space. There isn't a whole lot of space to put down the mats and have scorer's tables and all the extra stuff that is necessary with the venues. 

20 hours ago, Gantry said:

But the Penguins HAVE to play in Pittsburgh, NCAA Wrestling can go anywhere in the country that bids.  That's a huge difference, wrestling can go to bigger venues.   PPG Paints has what, 1500-2000 less seats than Cleveland did last year?  That's a problem for an event that sells out every year...

Penguins ownership/management like the high demand for tickets because it leads to higher ticket prices, which leads to more profit. Same thing with the NCAA. The NCAA absolutely did not make a mistake by holding it in the area with the highest demand. Just because some fans can't get tickets to a high-demand event, it doesnt mean that the NCAA made a mistake by increasing demand.

Edited by dpd926

Here is what the NCAA should do. Each year they should rent movie theaters around the country and show the entire tournament on the big screen. Sure, you can watch it at home, but a big reason fans attend the tournament is to interact with other fans. Take the it onto the virtual road.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:41 AM, fadzaev2 said:

41 NCAA's for me.....NYC was not even close to my favorite...just sayin'.  And I know some will disagree...that's OK.  The Venue is great, there were some great attractions, but my accomodations, ubering, places we ate....not the greatest....maybe our fault????  Personally, I do like St. Louis, and I've been there as a coach, done media, and as a spectator, so I've been on the floor, as well as in the seats.  For me, Albany was my least favorite.....no floor space, hospitality rooms not very good.

Better hotels and restaurants in St. Louis than in New York City?   Now there's something you don't hear every day.   Perhaps check with a local when possible.   Hopefully you'll have a better time on your next visit. 

6 hours ago, dpd926 said:

Penguins ownership/management like the high demand for tickets because it leads to higher ticket prices, which leads to more profit. Same thing with the NCAA. The NCAA absolutely did not make a mistake by holding it in the area with the highest demand. Just because some fans can't get tickets to a high-demand event, it doesnt mean that the NCAA made a mistake by increasing demand. 

We're clearly arguing about two different things, so I'm going to agree to disagree here and leave it at that. 

According to Wiki PPG is 537 Hockey seats smaller than Quicken in Cleveland, But 3000 more than Des Moines.

I thought about the possibility of hosting at one of the other 4 NYC area NHL arenas but Newark, Brooklyn and Hartford (now AHL) are 16,500 to 15,500. And Hempstead, the forrmer and now occasional Islanders home is only like 13,500 (about like Albany).

So In Eastern Time Zone, North of the Carolinas you have possible sites: Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, Pitt,  Phila, NYC, Buffalo,  Boston, D.C. and possibly Syracuse University Carrier Dome???  (Columbus and Boston seem unlikely) I have never really been in Buffalo. But DC could be much like NYC, Especially when DC metro (commuter rail) reaches Dulles Airport. 

Buffalo probably wouldn’t work. As far as I know, there’s only one hotel within walking distance of the Key Bank Center. 

But, hey.. I live in WNY, a mere 3.5 hour drive from Cleveland or Pittsburgh, so I vote to alternate NCAAs between these 2 fine cities every other year !

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, KCMO2 said:

You might end up sitting with another team's fans, but great seats are always available. 

About 7-8 years ago, my dad and I drove up without tickets to Philadelphia on something of a whim, and we purchased Friday and Saturday tickets from people out front for something very close to face value.  On Friday, we ended up sitting smack in the middle of Central Michigan's section.  That team was solid- Trice, Bennett, and Sentes all AA'd that year.  Now we're not associated with Central Michigan in any way, but we had a blast- we met some nice people, and ended up cheering for them all day.  It was a bit unsettling to watch Sentes make out with his pregnant girlfriend half the afternoon in the seats right in front of us, but it was still an experience. 

1. ST Louis: My favorite because it is big, affordable, all hotels are within walking distance, and there are decent and affordable restaurants

2. NYC: Way cheaper than expected, found reasonable food options, hotel was a little pricey but 3 blocks from MSG.  MSG is king period.

3. Cleveland: Liked Cleveland a lot.  Was much better than anticipated.

Philly: other than the parking, Philly sucked.  Drive, Drive, Drive and restaurants were average

OKC: Same as Philly, maybe worse.  The weather made it more tolerable.

Omaha: God no, never again.  Des Moines: Same

Looking forward to Pittsburgh.  I don't think you'll see a lot of tix for sale on Friday/Saturday Night but should be good for all other sessions.  Don't remember seeing a scalper Friday at MSG, the only time they weren't all over the place.  

Though, I am hearing the same as everyone else in that they are ridiculously difficult to get, even through colleges and hook ups.  I know a lot of people never buy tix and just show up and get in so maybe this year will be no different. 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:35 PM, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

While I think that there is a legitimate ticket problem because of the smaller arena, I think a lot of the "issue" is that people have learned that they can request tickets from a bunch of different schools. I bet 2nd hand ticket prices crash the week of the tournament. 

I agree we need to see larger capacity arenas going forward, (so long as the city of choice has hotel accommodations to back it up), but I think you may be surprised regarding 2nd hand and late sale tickets because of the location. The hotspot of American wrestling is the Eastern Ohio/Western PA Ohio Valley region #OVAC #Cuyahoga. I grew up there and know first hand how big and enthusiastic the wrestling community is throughout their states. I'm not sure what the numbers were in Cleveland, but I imagine the turnout was strong. I wish they built a bigger boat, but for those in attendance, they will have a whale of a time of their lives. #enjoytheshow

Edited by skikayaker

On 3/1/2019 at 8:29 PM, tommytechnique said:

How much were tickets at face value? 

$235 for uppers from Ticketmaster when they went on sale March of last year. 

On 3/2/2019 at 9:22 AM, TFBJR said:

Madison Square Garden every year.  Best venue, best city, best bars, best food.  Best city for promotional value and trying to grow the sport.   Hotel prices don't get jacked up because it isn't even a blip on the radar in NYC.  50% of Finalists and AAs are from nearby states that you can drive in and save on airfare.  Better weather than the midwest / great plains states .   

I've only been to Nationals a few times but I didn't think NYC was a great venue for it.  As somebody else mentioned half the fun of Nationals is interacting with other fans, in NYC once you got a block away from the Garden nobody even knew that the tournament was going on.  Last year in Cleveland it seemed like the whole downtown area was taken over by wrestling fans which was awesome.  

Obviously the NCAAs should always be in NYC and I have no particular reason for saying this. Now if you'll excuse me I have a subway to catch.

(I can't imagine a venue with better arena-adjacent food than MSG, which is literally across the street from Koreatown. We go there every year Thanksgiving weekend before the Cornell hockey game.)

2 hours ago, insidecradle said:

Buffalo probably wouldn’t work. As far as I know, there’s only one hotel within walking distance of the Key Bank Center. 

But, hey.. I live in WNY, a mere 3.5 hour drive from Cleveland or Pittsburgh, so I vote to alternate NCAAs between these 2 fine cities every other year !

There is more than one hotel in Walking Distance.  The New Canalside and HarborCenter hotels are right there. 

There is also a lot of hotels like five to seven blocks away. 

Of course, there would still probably be people complaining about not having hotels close to the venue.  And the host hotel would probably be something like the Adams Mark which would be a ways away...

I really think the only reason there is so much complaining about tickets is because demand is so high.  I don't think it actually has to do with being a small venue.

I believe there are many people in Ohio and Pennsylvania that are going for the first time.  I have heard of a lot of teams having a drastic increase in their number of ticket requests because of the location.

People forget that there are more D1 programs in PA than anywhere else and there use to be even more...  I remember in Philly it was a lot of first timers in attendance.  I don't believe it is the same people every year.  Maybe 5-10k people are the same, but the fringe is what changes the demand.

2 hours ago, Mr. Peepers said:

About 7-8 years ago, my dad and I drove up without tickets to Philadelphia on something of a whim, and we purchased Friday and Saturday tickets from people out front for something very close to face value.  On Friday, we ended up sitting smack in the middle of Central Michigan's section.  That team was solid- Trice, Bennett, and Sentes all AA'd that year.  Now we're not associated with Central Michigan in any way, but we had a blast- we met some nice people, and ended up cheering for them all day.  It was a bit unsettling to watch Sentes make out with his pregnant girlfriend half the afternoon in the seats right in front of us, but it was still an experience. 

Yep, I have no problem sitting with other teams fans either.  One year in St. Louis I ended up in the Minnesota section with my Mizzou gear on, and they were all very nice.

St Louis has a retired NFL stadium. It seems rather unlikely they could lure another NFL team without a brand new stadium. I see there is plan for an XFL team there, but with the other new league, it may not even happen. 

My thought is, I wonder if they could convert into a giant arena better suited for indoor sports. Of course the many named arena where wrestling has been held may not have ever actually sold out. The largest indoor arena (as opposed to stadium which means it is big enough for soccer, track, football etc) in the world is in the Philippines, 55,000, looks like mostly for religous meetings, but has held b-ball, boxing, concerts. Biggest NHL arena is Chicago  , seems a logical spot because of transportation ease. I guess it could have a problem and benefit similar to NYC.

One thing to the guys who say NYC forever. I will bet an awful lot of demand for Madison Sq Garden, see the oscar nominated short documentary "A night at the Garden" 

You know when they ask at the finals how many people have been here 10-20-30 tournaments.

I would like to see a question asked " stand up if this is your first NCAA Tournament.

18 minutes ago, RichB said:

You know when they ask at the finals how many people have been here 10-20-30 tournaments.

I would like to see a question asked " stand up if this is your first NCAA Tournament.

I get tired of standing!- But I thought they (Jason?) did sometimes.