gowrestle

NCAA Made Big Mistake

3 hours ago, JohnG said:

I've only been to Nationals a few times but I didn't think NYC was a great venue for it.  As somebody else mentioned half the fun of Nationals is interacting with other fans, in NYC once you got a block away from the Garden nobody even knew that the tournament was going on.  Last year in Cleveland it seemed like the whole downtown area was taken over by wrestling fans which was awesome.  

It's NYC.  Nobody really cares what else is going on as long as you don't get in their way when they're trying to catch the subway or get off the subway for a stop.

12 hours ago, JohnG said:

I've only been to Nationals a few times but I didn't think NYC was a great venue for it.  As somebody else mentioned half the fun of Nationals is interacting with other fans, in NYC once you got a block away from the Garden nobody even knew that the tournament was going on.  Last year in Cleveland it seemed like the whole downtown area was taken over by wrestling fans which was awesome.  

That is part of what makes it a great venue for the Championship which is also what makes the Championship seem insignificant.

MSG and NYC can easily host it and there is no issues with hotels, places to eat, plenty of wrestling fans who live locally, and the venue is use to handling events on this scale, daily.

But as a result of being so use to handling events like this, there is no hype in the local community.  20k people at MSG?  Yeah, that happens every single day, often more than once a day.  Thousands of people coming to Manhattan?  That happens every day in minutes.

I think NYC is a great site for the event.  But one of many.  I like that the event moves around.  I also like that the event has such high demand in some places that people complain about not being able to get tickets.  That is a good problem to have.

What I would be curious to know is how many people only attend a session or two?  How many people want to see some wrestling but only buy a ticket to a specific session.

Is it better to have one fan attend all six sessions or to have those tickets split up and allow four or five people to get to watch some wrestling and get their first exposure to the championships?