Marcus Cisero

Just Watched FLO’s Ben Askren – The Funk

First thing that came to mind when it ended. “Great job FLO.” I’ve watched most of their wrestler documentaries over the years and they are all well done. This one featuring Ben Askren was excellent.

Second thing that came to mind “This IS how we grow the sport.” FLO has the passion over ALL other media so hopefully others get behind and promote our great wrestlers and great sport. Who knows, with this kind of promoting, maybe Hollywood someday produces another Vision Quest with the impact wrestling has had on MMA.

Third, I see well-scripted documentaries by FLO similar to this one and IMAR coming down the pike for superstars Jason Nolf (reminds me of Askren) and Bo Nickel.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

After watching this, I'm more convinced than ever that people who say you can use Pendleton as a template to beat Askren don't understand why he lost those matches.  Plain and simple, Ben was still a baby at what he was developing, and Pendleton was the only D1 wrestler good enough to beat baby Ben.  By his junior year, Ben's techniques and body had matured to the point where he was completely in a league of his own.  I think Herbert would have destroyed Pendleton, but Ben literally rocked his world.

Purdue’s Ryan Lange beat Askren his freshman year, but odd losses to the Wisconsin guy in the regular season put Lange as the four seed and on Pendleton’s side while Askeen was the two. 

This video is very good and I enjoyed it. 

The old footage of Askren doing the “funk” reminded me of just how much he disrupted the wrestling world with it. At first, many thought he was just using “garbage moves” but he kept winning and people were compelled to try to adapt to it. 

The extent of how much his techniques have been adopted and further developed by others is a great testament to Askren’s creativity and dominant performance during his NCAA career.