MSU158

Askren fight don’t open if you don’t want results

Crazy that he made it past that opening barrage that Lawler threw at him. Even though the stoppage MAY have been wrong, could he last the whole round in that?  Askren earned that win, but DOES have a big weakness against very strong hard strikers!

I think with how that arm dropped you cant really blame the ref. It looked like he went out for a sec, and if he wasnt, with that reaction, I think he was going to sleep inevitably. If he was out and they allowed it to continue then it ends up bad for the ufc. Him recooping like that was nuts though.

Edited by Molsen

13 minutes ago, Molsen said:

I think with how that arm dropped you cant really blame the ref. It looked like he went out for a sec, and if he wasnt, with that reaction, I think he was going to sleep inevitably. If he was out and they allowed it to continue then it ends up bad for the ufc. Him recooping like that was nuts though.

Agreed, even if he wasn’t out at that point, he wasn’t showing ANY effort to get out and would have had to last another minute plus with Askren squeezing the hell out of his head/neck!

8 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Agreed, even if he wasn’t out at that point, he wasn’t showing ANY effort to get out and would have had to last another minute plus with Askren squeezing the hell out of his head/neck!

Exactly, and with Lawlers hand dropping off Askrens neck, he appeared out. He didnt go to attack the hands or break the submission.  Either way that was an exciting quick fight. I feel Lawler would have argued a lot more if he didnt understand the call.

Edited by Molsen

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

What horrible call? He was choking Lawler out.

^  This.  How long does he have to be out?  His arm dropped and he wasn't responding to Herb.     it's over johnny...

One of two things happened with that stoppage..

A) Lawler was out for a moment, arm goes limp, and then slowly recovers and is conscious again by the time ref actually calls it.

B) Lawler is the dumbest MMA fighter in history, and thinks it is a good look to let his defense side arm go completely limp while getting choked out.

I'd put all my money on scenario A. Not the best optics, but no way Lawler wasn't out for at least a second there. Massive props to Ben for eating all those shots after getting slammed on his head, keeping his composure and finishing the fight.

1 hour ago, Molsen said:

You cant drop your arm limp and not expect it to get stopped

1 hour ago, whyme25 said:

Funky got his DONKEY kicked and benefited from a horrible call.

I  have been watching this guy get questioned  and second guessed  since  he was wresting in college. I guess Gavin was not pinned   lol  I have not posted  since that match. Like a old Gable Iowa Hawkeye Slogan on a poster I saw years  ago. "everything this guy gets...HE gets the hard way"

OLD Pictures 152.jpg

Askren walked through everyone he faced.  sometimes I felt embarrassed for his opponent.  It had to be demoralizing to try to figure out how not to get pinned, or tech'd by him.  Now after having to wait, and go through his prime, he gets on the main stage and can still take out a guy by submission at a high level.  It you don't want to get submiited ...Don't let Ben get your back and start to choke you out.  All you have to do it out position him on the ground.  GOOD LUCK 

17 minutes ago, BIGRHINO1 said:

Askren has more natural skills, instinct, and intelligence than 99% of all  opponents he will ever face. It;s a shame he had to wait until he is 34 years old to prove it to a mass audience . 

Intelligence? I just saw his face practically get punched in.  Not exactly a brilliant move on his part.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

5 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Intelligence? I just saw his faced practically get punched in.  Not exactly a brilliant move on his part.  

LOL......I have to agree on that point. Smart guys don't get their faces pounded for a living. But Askren is one seriously tough dude, great chin, talent.

When facing a worthy opponent...There is always a degree of damage expected to win the war.. Ben is always a move or two ahead of his opponents in his strategy for superior position and he is in another world once he has you on the ground. It's a bad place to end up.