Would it be wise for him to just stay at 79kh for non-Olympic weight worlds? Let Dake go down and battle it out with Burroughs... stay up and have an easier path to a world title and the $50k living the dream paycheck, and the possible future earnings bump of having ‘world champion’ on resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ringer at 74kg may be a "tough cut", especially if the likelihood is that he would need to maintain his mass to be at 79kg.  10lbs is 10lbs (-ish).  

Everyone is saying "Dake to 74kg", and I think it's much more plausible, since it doesn't seem or appear like Dake is a "big" 79kg guy... instead, he plays "Wheel of Weight Classes", and just somehow manages to show up and participate (well, I might add) at whichever weight class he wants.

Back to Ringer... 86kg will be too big for him also, plus, you've got Taylor (and Cox, potentially) to duke it out at 86kg.  

So... moral of the story... either way he chooses, he has two... yes TWO World Champions at both weight classes that he would have to get through, JUST to make our team.  WOW.

To answer your question... If I were Ringer, I'd drop down to 74kg to get the experience and to at least "try".  But... I would also feel great and confident about heading back to 79kg, looking to lock up a more "natural" weight class.  Kind of like Green in 2016... gave it his best at 65kg, but... moved up and locked up 70kg, which was more natural for him. 

The descent (cut) take a toll on your body and stamina, however.  Green didn't look good at 65KG, for example.  Ringer still needs to get by other guys at 79KG: Valencia and Hall, in particular.  

I think 74 kg for Ringer is a very tough cut with the new weigh-in rules. He has a significant strength and size advantage over just about anyone he wrestles when he isn't sucked out, and if Dake/JB/whoever else move up to to 79 kg from 74 kg, staying heavy the whole time would be a big advantage for him. I would stay put at 79 kg, especially with Zahid, who obliterated him, to deal with at 79 kg.

To answer your question... If I were Ringer, I'd drop down to 74kg to get the experience and to at least "try".  But... I would also feel great and confident about heading back to 79kg, looking to lock up a more "natural" weight class.  Kind of like Green in 2016... gave it his best at 65kg, but... moved up and locked up 70kg, which was more natural for him. 

Yeah but then you would be shrinking your body down a few months before the trials. If Dake were to drop, lose to Burroughs, and come back up... Ringer would have a much better chance of beating him if he didn’t cut down at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would he be better off skipping Olympic trials and just going 79? Probably. Will he do that? No way. Even if it’s a small chance, he won’t just give up on his Olympic dreams. I don’t think he is big enough to beat Taylor and Cox if he goes up. I don’t think he is too far behind JB and Dake right now, but if he makes the cut I don’t see him wrestling as well as he is now. He would certainly lose muscle mass and then have a lesser chance of winning 79. So no real good options. My guess is he makes the cut. How much time is between OTT and WTT? Maybe it will be enough to recover from the cut

Well, I know that Ringer looked very good at the Dan Kolov, and he has done well at other international events as well. But Ringer is in a tough spot kind of like being between a rock and a hard place. If he goes down he has JB, if he stays at 79, he has Dake, Zahid, and probably Mark Hall. Now maybe he hopes that Kid Dynamite goes74, and then all he would have to worry about is Mark Hall and Zahid, and whoever else shows up. But as we all saw last year, we saw Zahid take it to him, so even if Dake goes down to 74, Alex will still have a very tough road to his first Senior World Team. 

It's gonna be tough but Deringer is doing all the right things, seeing lots of world competition and getting better every day.  Lots of cases where guys who aren't at the top of the ladder for a few years, guys who haven't hit the top domestically, keep putting it all together and break through.   Slay, Jamil Kelly, Molinaro, Adam Wheeler, etc.  I think he's taking the right approach and the results will come if he keeps improving.

Edited by Gantry

Got to think he goes 163. You never know how things will play out with Hall and Dake when they make the cut. We could have in 2020:

Imar   2 titles..???

Nolf   3 titles..???

Ringer 3 titles

Hall  3 titles...???

JB   2 titles

Cenzo 4 titles...???

Dake 4 titles

Got to be a record number of NCAA titles in one event/weight class there!!!

2 hours ago, PRyan2012 said:

Got to think he goes 163. You never know how things will play out with Hall and Dake when they make the cut. We could have in 2020:

Imar   2 titles..???

Nolf   3 titles..???

Ringer 3 titles

Hall  3 titles...???

JB   2 titles

Cenzo 4 titles...???

Dake 4 titles

That Quarterfinal Round would be absolutely EPIC...

17 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I think he will go 86 kg for Olympic trials and be at 79 this year. 

He is enormous. I doubt he could even make 74kg, let alone make it twice in a row and still have any strength or stamina left. 

So.. let's go this direction.   Ringer goes 86kg.  His competition is:

* David Taylor

* Pat Downey

* MyMar

* Cox? (for OTT only?)

* Nickal? (for OTT only?)

and that's just the five fastest I could think of.  Two World Champions... The real universe's answer to Marvel's Ghost (MyMar)... the potential 2nd coming (Nickal), and a guy who thinks he's the 2nd Coming (Downey).  

He would be "undersized", coming up to meet these guys, and has consistently lost to Dake, the "other dude" who went up, and got stuffed by Cox (just one of the 5 listed).  

So... going 86kg is going to be a tall order, even for someone of Ringer's ability and capability, as his opponent set is pretty stout.

Well, it might be that Ringer won't make a team until after 2020. I say that because I kind of expect JB to hang it up after the 2020 Olympics. JB is 30 now and after the Olympics he would be 32 possibly? Dake and Taylor are both 28 now and would be 30? at the 2020 Olympics. So it's possible that those two may go as well. Then you have J'den who is younger, but it wasn't that long ago when people were speculating that he may stop wrestling to pursue other things like football. He's already a World Champion, and I think the only thing left for him in his mind, is an Olympic Gold. So if that happens in 2020, I'm not sure what he will decide to do. 

Now even if JB and others ride off into the sunset, that doesn't mean that Ringer will have an easy road to making the team. As the other posters have pointed out, there is a ton of talent out there waiting for their shot at Olympic and World glory. 

1 hour ago, de4856 said:

Well, it might be that Ringer won't make a team until after 2020. I say that because I kind of expect JB to hang it up after the 2020 Olympics. JB is 30 now and after the Olympics he would be 32 possibly? Dake and Taylor are both 28 now and would be 30? at the 2020 Olympics. So it's possible that those two may go as well. Then you have J'den who is younger, but it wasn't that long ago when people were speculating that he may stop wrestling to pursue other things like football. He's already a World Champion, and I think the only thing left for him in his mind, is an Olympic Gold. So if that happens in 2020, I'm not sure what he will decide to do. 

Now even if JB and others ride off into the sunset, that doesn't mean that Ringer will have an easy road to making the team. As the other posters have pointed out, there is a ton of talent out there waiting for their shot at Olympic and World glory. 

I could see Dake and Taylor hanging on for another cycle since they just finally broke through this year. 

16 hours ago, treep2000 said:

* David Taylor

* Pat Downey

* MyMar

* Cox? (for OTT only?)

and that's just the five fastest I could think of.  Two World Champions... The real universe's answer to Marvel's Ghost (MyMar)... the potential 2nd coming (Nickal), and a guy who thinks he's the 2nd Coming (Downey).  

He would be "undersized", coming up to meet these guys, and has consistently lost to Dake, the "other dude" who went up, and got stuffed by Cox (just one of the 5 listed).  

So... going 86kg is going to be a tall order, even for someone of Ringer's ability and capability, as his opponent set is pretty stout.

Yeah he is probably 3rd-5th at 86 domestically

at 74, he would definitely be behind JB and Dake. If zahid drops, him too. Hall could drop, Nolf, Cenzo, etc. 74 is stacked too, plus if he cuts to 74 he probably won’t be effective on 2 day scratch, it would take him months to get back to 79 with his power back and he loses his biggest advantage over all of these guys if he drops and goes back up (power). 

If he was a clear #2 at 74, I’d say he should go for it. He is at best #3 at 74, and that assumes the cut goes well. Best guess is he would place around the same at 74 as 86. He is a tweener and it highlights the issue with only having 6 Olympic weights. 

I think he goes 86, loses, goes 79 for non Olympic weight worlds and possibly takes the spot, although he will likely have Dake, Hall and Zahid to contend with (assuming none make the Olympic team)

USA is deep right now around those weights. Ringer could win a world medal right now, but we are going to have a world champ sitting out the Olympics too so he won’t even be the beat guy not to make the team. Pretty crazy. 

In fact, we will have 2 golds on the bench. I expect it to be

74 - Dake or Burroughs wins

86 - Taylor

97 - Snyder or Cox

its not even like one guy should just bulk up or drop a weight to help the team. If they go up, they have a 2 time world bronze or a 3 time age level world champ who will have another 2 years of development on him. Maybe Snyder could take the spot at hvwt but I don’t think will be able to by then. Gwiz and Gable will be too good. 

65 is too big of a drop for the 74s, plus we have medal contending guys there anyways. Zain, JO, Molinaro and maybe even Yianni have a shot at medaling. Random guys always emerge here every Olympic trials too. 

16 hours ago, treep2000 said:

* David Taylor

* Pat Downey

* MyMar

* Cox? (for OTT only?)

One more thing - fairly confident Jden is going up for OTT. He had a lot of trouble with the cut prior to 2 day scratch. His performance suffered for it even with he old rules. He has a better chance vs Snyder than being sucked out vs the gauntlet at 86. 

Not going to be a popular opinion, but I see Dake moving up to 86 for OTT. He knows how to beat Taylor, and he would have the luxury to add a 2-4 pounds without the worry of cutting to make weight two days in a row

48 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Not going to be a popular opinion, but I see Dake moving up to 86 for OTT. He knows how to beat Taylor, and he would have the luxury to add a 2-4 pounds without the worry of cutting to make weight two days in a row

This thought has crossed my mind.  I wouldn't be completely surprised to see this though I'm not sure if his friendship with Taylor now weighs more on his mind than before.

51 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I don't think that is going to happen - Dake was not cutting that much to make 79 kg.  He would be very small at 86 kg.  Also Dake was always very good at cutting weight and maintaining his effectiveness.   He won't have any problem making 74 kg.  Taking out JB will be hard but it is definitely his best path to Olympic Gold.  The big question is will he make the drop this year or wait until 2020.  We will see.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:55 AM, PRyan2012 said:

Imar   2 titles..???

Nolf   3 titles..???

Ringer 3 titles

Hall  3 titles...???

JB   2 titles

Cenzo 4 titles...???

Dake 4 titles

Add 2x world medalist James Green...