Crash

US Open 65KG Seeding

After this weekend, I see it as 

1. JO

2. Stieber

3. Zain

But I also expect some of these guys to compete in the World Cup and/or Pan Am games.  So it could change.

What are the criteria for seeding the US Open?

Steiber has made multiple world teams and Zain has made one.

Oliver has wins over Zain, but how are they weighted, if at all?  Do they have to be recent wins? 

Or in official tournaments, etc?

I'm genuinely curious how Yianni stacks up against JO.  They are training partners right?  

Also... you cannot count out McKenna anymore.  Runner-up to Logie, beating all other dudes.  Granted, Zain, Yianni and JO didn't participate, but... he's got his own set of creds.  

It's very interesting that we have yet to see that "guy" that's pulled away from the rest of the pack/world at the lighter weights. 74kg-97kg, we have that, and Gwiz is no slouch.  Sure... Gilman medaled, and Logie won at 61kg, but to many other poster's points, it was at a depleted weight class.  

65kg, domestically, feels super "deep", as there is a lot of parity.  However, on a world stage, I'm just not sure that we have that guy that will separate himself.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

I'm genuinely curious how Yianni stacks up against JO.  They are training partners right?  

Also... you cannot count out McKenna anymore.  Runner-up to Logie, beating all other dudes.  Granted, Zain, Yianni and JO didn't participate, but... he's got his own set of creds.  

It's very interesting that we have yet to see that "guy" that's pulled away from the rest of the pack/world at the lighter weights. 74kg-97kg, we have that, and Gwiz is no slouch.  Sure... Gilman medaled, and Logie won at 61kg, but to many other poster's points, it was at a depleted weight class.  

65kg, domestically, feels super "deep", as there is a lot of parity.  However, on a world stage, I'm just not sure that we have that guy that will separate himself.

Yianni isn't that close yet. https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6344931-yianni-training-with-jordan-oliver

JO understandably gets a bad rap because he has had moments in his freestyle career when you have to question how seriously he takes the sport and of course, there's the one-year ban for what I felt was really an unfortunate violation that I felt was genuinely an oversight and really didn't have an effect on his performance anyway. But I continue to believe he has the best shot at a medal for us when he is on, and I think he is taking his training and preparation more seriously now that he realizes he doesn't have much time left.

That interview with Yianni shows how good JO is (and how humble and down to earth Yianni is). He has the most variety in his wrestling of any American at the weight, can scramble with anyone, and is extremely athletic. He has suspect cardio on occasion. I hope the new environment at the NYRTC bring out the best in him this summer and he is my pick to represent us this year. I think Yianni catches up to him soon though, and the fact that JO will go out of his way to help Yianni shows what kind of person he is. He was like that with Aaron Pico too. I remember watching JO teaching PIco how to finish his shots better about a year and a half before Pico beat him at the Oympic trials. I've never seen JO hold anything back when helping anyone, including his own competitors. That Dude JO is a good dude indeed.

Nerd, I agree with some

of what you said but I still don't think he will ever medal. I certainly could be wrong but in his first match in this tournament against some Argentinian he looked terrible. Maybe because it was the first match after weigh-ins and maybe he's going to get better at it but if past history is any indication, his weight cutting is not going to get much better. He was able to get by a less than the elite wrestler but if he had drawn somebody decent in the first match this weekend, he may have never won a match.

23 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Nerd, I agree with some

of what you said but I still don't think he will ever medal. I certainly could be wrong but in his first match in this tournament against some Argentinian he looked terrible. Maybe because it was the first match after weigh-ins and maybe he's going to get better at it but if past history is any indication, his weight cutting is not going to get much better. He was able to get by a less than the elite wrestler but if he had drawn somebody decent in the first match this weekend, he may have never won a match.

He said it was rust, he was tense and he had to remind himself to trust in his training. JO teched Futrell who beat the same guy 8-0 in repechage. 

Edited by Relentless125
Added Video

JO has weighed around 180 off-season, although that was a few years ago. The cut with the new weigh-in rules is rough. I get that he can have off matches and even days. But at his peak, I think he is our best guy. Whether he can sustain that peak or consistently perform at that level is a very fair question. But I believe at his peak, he can be a world champion.

Well I have to say that JO looked very good this past weekend. And perhaps this is him on his way to his first Senior Team. Even though some will say that JO should be the top seed, do you really seed him over our Senior team member? Idk, perhaps. I for one am looking forward to the US Open, it should be very interesting to see how this unfolds. 

I think JO's performance at this tournament is being a bit overstated here.  It was not a good half of the bracket, at all.  Needed criteria to beat Argentina of all places, both non-US guys he beat Futrell beat by larger margins.  And he was almost teched in the finals. 

I certainly don't think it was a bad performance and making 65 two days in a row was critical.  Seeing the pace and technique a guy like Barajang brings was something he needed.  So in that regard for JO this is just the doctor ordered, he'll grow from this.  But I don't think this was a break out performance or anything, to me the JO we've seen before.  Flashes of greatness, can definitely be our rep, needs to wrestle consistently throughout a tournament to make that next step.   Hope he does though, because he can make some noise on the International level with some tweaking.

Edited by Gantry

This was JOs first experience making scratch 65 2 days in a row. I’m sure it wasn’t easy for him (and others), but I would expect his body to get more comfortable with that each time he does it.

I would expect him to look better in upcoming events.

I see him as the clear favorite to make the team barring an injury.

As for winning a medal at what might be the deepest international weight, let’s see him make the team and compete in another couple of events before making that prediction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliver won't be seeded ahead of Stieber unless/until he beats or outplaces him in a 2019 tournament.  I think it will be 1. Stieber 2. Oliver 3. ZR 4. Frank (assuming he drops to 65).  You could make an argument that Frank could be higher.

I’ve never seen someone dominate JO like Bajrang did. JO was just totally out of energy and was competing against an aggressive, technical, confident top 3 guy. I hope he learned from it and it doesn’t mess with him. 

I want JO to have a really tough draw at the WTT. Because his weight is his biggest issue, if he wants to medal he needs to figure it out. If he makes the team and only has 1 tough match, it really doesn’t tell us much. 

We already know he can beat Zain, Yianni, Steiber etc when he is at 100%, but that doesn’t matter if he can’t string elite wins together. I’d rather have Zain in there. We know Zain can handle the weight cut and never has cardio issues. Zain might also be better than JO, but that’s not the point I’m making. Even if JO is the best guy 1 v 1, that won’t be enough to medal necessarily. 

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Don't think he's quite ready yet.  We haven't had a guy at the lighter weights break through at this age since Cejudo... Yianni is special though.  

I think we see Fix and Yianni breakthrough in 2020 :)