Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

PSU's flameouts at 125

Recommended Posts

Since Nico PSU 125 pounders have not been having much success...

Suriano, great first season then gets hurt transfers to Rutgers, loses in the finals, bumps up to 133 where he is now fallen to probably the 4th or 5th best at the weight

Teasdale, leaves the program, probably going to Iowa

Teske, mixed success during his red shirt season

Howard, loses in the state finals

Schnupp, scrappy but undersized kid who is really a room guy

 

What is going on?  Even the blue chip 125 pound recruits don't seem to be panning out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Desanto planning on moving up to 141 or is Teasdale? Otherwise I don’t see the point of Teasdale going to Iowa, he’d be better off at MN where he slots in right away at 133.

As for PSU lightweights they are fine, so they have one weak weight out of 10...big deal. To me they are a little more focused on 141 and up with their coaching staff and it shows. I for one would love to see someone give PSU a run for their money but until they start winning the recruiting battle I don’t see that changing. D1 wrestling was much more fun when there was more parity IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, 4awrestler said:

Is Desanto planning on moving up to 141 or is Teasdale? Otherwise I don’t see the point of Teasdale going to Iowa, he’d be better off at MN where he slots in right away at 133.

As for PSU lightweights they are fine, so they have one weak weight out of 10...big deal. To me they are a little more focused on 141 and up with their coaching staff and it shows. I for one would love to see someone give PSU a run for their money but until they start winning the recruiting battle I don’t see that changing. D1 wrestling was much more fun when there was more parity IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed fully on this.  Desanto to 141 may make a ton of sense for the Hawkeyes.  Teasdale at 133 would be his best case scenario then.  

Otherwise, Teasdale to Iowa makes zero sense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want Teasdale, but I'm wondering if Renteria may have decided not to wrestle any longer, and that's why Teasdale is looking towards Iowa.  That would leave some room at the inn for Teasdale, especially if Murin moves up to 149 and/or out of the line up if he doesn't improve.  I just think Teasdale isn't the prospect we all thought he would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, 4awrestler said:

Is Desanto planning on moving up to 141 or is Teasdale? Otherwise I don’t see the point of Teasdale going to Iowa, he’d be better off at MN where he slots in right away at 133.

As for PSU lightweights they are fine, so they have one weak weight out of 10...big deal. To me they are a little more focused on 141 and up with their coaching staff and it shows. I for one would love to see someone give PSU a run for their money but until they start winning the recruiting battle I don’t see that changing. D1 wrestling was much more fun when there was more parity IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, they are still huge favorites to win the team title.  But it is odd for so many primo blue chippers at 125 to flame out before really taking the college stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

heck Nico aside, Penn St ain't been no good at the lowest weight since they had Jimmy Martin, Kenny Chertow, and Matty from Catty in the same room.  

Jeremy Hunter, Jeff Prescott, Sanshiro Abe.... 3 more I can think of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Jeremy Hunter, Jeff Prescott, Sanshiro Abe.... 3 more I can think of.

fadz, it was a joke and gave me a reason to type Matty from Catty. Obviously PSU has had some seriously good wrestlers in the lightest classes over the years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PSU upper weights keep getting thrown onto 125 pounders These crushing and grinding actions endanger little people, making the feel insecure and homesick, keep them from having fun, and results in transfers and dropouts. This problem will largely clear up when Bo graduates and if they successfully raise funds to install a cage to contain offending backtrips and blast doubles.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

heck Nico aside, Penn St ain't been no good at the lowest weight since they had Jimmy Martin, Kenny Chertow, and Matty from Catty in the same room.  

Martin and Chertow forced Matty from Catty into a transfer to Pitt.

Edited by lu_alum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I don't want Teasdale, but I'm wondering if Renteria may have decided not to wrestle any longer, and that's why Teasdale is looking towards Iowa.  That would leave some room at the inn for Teasdale, especially if Murin moves up to 149 and/or out of the line up if he doesn't improve.  I just think Teasdale isn't the prospect we all thought he would be.

What if Teasdale gets a couple of tats and jumps on the antics bandwagon, would you change your tune?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

heck Nico aside, Penn St ain't been no good at the lowest weight since they had Jimmy Martin, Kenny Chertow, and Matty from Catty in the same room.  

**** We will never know how good Matt The Cat could have been.  Too many injuries.  He was great, with a multitude of great moves.  I knew him after college when he was working in Wellness.  Great Guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have there actually been any rumblings of Teasdale to Iowa? Or was that prospect just thrown out there to liven up this thread?

If he even ends up wrestling in college, I see a very Jimmy Cinnabon type of career out of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I don't want Teasdale, but I'm wondering if Renteria may have decided not to wrestle any longer, and that's why Teasdale is looking towards Iowa.  That would leave some room at the inn for Teasdale, especially if Murin moves up to 149 and/or out of the line up if he doesn't improve.  I just think Teasdale isn't the prospect we all thought he would be.

Do you have a source on this other than him not competing? That would be a huge bummer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Do you have a source on this other than him not competing? That would be a huge bummer. 

No source, just me thinking it's extremely odd for him not to wrestle a single match in his RS year, and I also haven't seen reports that he's even in the room, although I may be wrong on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a huge bummer indeed if your speculation ends up being true. I was a big fan when he was in HS and thought very highly of his D1 potential. I think he is a very good fit for Terry Brands.

As for Teasdale, I have no clue what extracurriculars are weighing him down, but even from a pure wrestling perspective, I thought he as overrated as a D1 recruit. When there was a rumor RBY might head to Iowa after the Teasdale flim-flam, I mentioned Iowa would be getting the superior prospect of that panned our. I’m always wary of prospects who are old for their grade and also cut a lot of weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

No source, just me thinking it's extremely odd for him not to wrestle a single match in his RS year, and I also haven't seen reports that he's even in the room, although I may be wrong on that.

HR posters have described him looking really good in practice at least a few times this season. I think the speculation is that he's focusing on getting his academics in order. Obviously, that's not an ideal question mark to have about a good recruit, but they do have Murin (and even Turk) next year if Renteria doesn't pan out. Murin had a really bad month, but he's actually been pretty solid this year for a freshman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading the academics comment too, but it still seems really strange that he wouldn't hit up some random tourney with the other redshirts at least once.  That's a pretty rare thing to happen for someone who is 100% healthy and redshirting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

HR posters have described him looking really good in practice at least a few times this season. I think the speculation is that he's focusing on getting his academics in order. Obviously, that's not an ideal question mark to have about a good recruit, but they do have Murin (and even Turk) next year if Renteria doesn't pan out. Murin had a really bad month, but he's actually been pretty solid this year for a freshman.

I must have missed them talking about him in practice.  If so, I apologize for being misleading.  Either way, I do think it's odd that he hasn't competed at all, and that's what is throwing up red flags for me, but if he is practicing, that would alleviate my concerns somewhat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Right, they are still huge favorites to win the team title.  But it is odd for so many primo blue chippers at 125 to flame out before really taking the college stage.

 

Teasdale is really the only one to “flame out” at PSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...