Sign in to follow this  
schom074

Guys who have bumped up for a dual in recent years

I have only recently started watching/following college wrestling more closely and I am generally impressed when a #1 guy decides to bump up a weight class to challenge another #1 guy.  I am curious, aside from Gross and Rivera who did this, who else in recent times (we'll say post 2000) have done this? I think I recall hearing Ben Askren bumping up a weight but I do not recall the ranking details.  

If another topic on this was already once created, feel free to link it below.

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Dake bumped up against Lehigh once. I believe it was to make Cornell’s lineup more competitive against a tough Lehigh squad during his senior year. 

Howe bumped up several times to 184 for duals during his senior year at Oklahoma. 

Possibly also so he could say he did 5 weights. He bumped up to get Nathaniel Brown.

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

If you’re counting All-Star exhibitions, in somewhat recent years:

Logan Stieber bumped up to beat Kendrick Maple

Cody Brewer bumped up and lost to Dean Heil

Tony Ramos bumped up and beat Devin Carter 

Yes, "All-Star" exhibits are what I would be referring to.  Not missed weight, and not necessarily 2 #1's but 2 tough guys just going at it who normally would not due to weight class.  

17 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Dake bumped up against Lehigh once. I believe it was to make Cornell’s lineup more competitive against a tough Lehigh squad during his senior year. 

Howe bumped up several times to 184 for duals during his senior year at Oklahoma. 

It was at Lehigh and against Nate Brown. Dake either teched him or won by major.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Definitely wasn’t a tech. Might have been a major but I thought it was a solid decision where the outcome was never in doubt other than for a brief moment when Brown was setting up a throw and Dake limp-bodied out) if that’s even a term) and got the TD himself. 

Yea I was at that dual.. Dake had his way with Brown and was able to repeatedly take him down relatively easily.

Zahid V. has been bumped to 184 a few times.  

Matt Brown of PSU used to bump up to higher weights.  Even went to 197 from 174 (where he wrestled all year) for two duals and won both:

2012 2/3/2012 197 James Nakashima (Nebraska) W 2-1 21-2
2012 2/5/2012 197 #15 Max Huntley (Michigan) W 3-1 22-2

Edited by dmm53

4 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Definitely wasn’t a tech. Might have been a major but I thought it was a solid decision where the outcome was never in doubt other than for a brief moment when Brown was setting up a throw and Dake limp-bodied out) if that’s even a term) and got the TD himself. 

9-3. I think Dake may have set Nate up for that. I was doing the color and Steve Lomangino naturally got excited when Nate did his little high dive to get the bear hug and then picked Dake up to bring him down. I looked down (they were right in front of the scorers table immediately below where we broadcast at Grace) and saw Dake's feet flat on the mat and parallel, he had overhooks to Nate's bear hug and was arching his head back. I quick called out that Dake was going to win the position knowing his Greco background.

41 minutes ago, schom074 said:

I have only recently started watching/following college wrestling more closely and I am generally impressed when a #1 guy decides to bump up a weight class to challenge another #1 guy.  I am curious, aside from Gross and Rivera who did this, who else in recent times (we'll say post 2000) have done this? I think I recall hearing Ben Askren bumping up a weight but I do not recall the ranking details.  

If another topic on this was already once created, feel free to link it below.

I think Askren was #1 and bumped up to face Roger Kish #2 at 184 at the National Duals, back when the Duals was a big deal.

Older than OP 2000 time frame but a few that come to mind:

99? Eventual 125 champ Abas  bumped and lost to eventual 133 champ Guerrero

96? Eventual 118 AA Mena bumped and lost to eventual champ Abe 

mid 80s defending and that years champ as well at 150 Nate Carr bumped and got beat up by eventual 158 champ Zalesky

If we’re going that far back, there are lots of examples. One that sticks out in my mind was PSU 2x champ (1x chamo at the time) Jeff Prescott bumping up to face Terry Brands. It was a very one-sided affair in favor of Terry but it was nevertheless highly entertaining, and I gave Precott a ton of credit for doing that. 

9 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

If we’re going that far back, there are lots of examples. One that sticks out in my mind was PSU 2x champ (1x chamo at the time) Jeff Prescott bumping up to face Terry Brands. It was a very one-sided affair in favor of Terry but it was nevertheless highly entertaining, and I gave Precott a ton of credit for doing that. 

Looking at wrestling stats, Prescott was at 126 for a bunch of matches before and after that beat down by Brands. Dropped to 118 towards end of season. 

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/pennstate/view_wrestler_bouts.php?start=0&wrestler=44&season=1992

Edited by KTG119

1 hour ago, RichB said:

Bobby Weaver bumped up about 80 times to wrestle 118  :-)

I remember when he went to Navy one year. We had the 2.5 hour weighin time frame then IIRC. He jumped on the scale. He was over maybe .25-.5. He ran to Coach Leeman with a big smile and said "Coach! I've got to cut weight!"

13 hours ago, Griff the BullRam said:

J'Den Cox (and a few other Mizzou wrestlers) bumped up against Cornell to beat them in a dual during the 15-16 season.

J'Den, also bumped up to 285 vs tOSU in their dual at the beginning of the 2014/15 season, winning the dual for Mizzou on criteria, but  robbing the fans of the highly anticipated match-up against Kyle Snyder at 197.

Ohio State Wrestling
No. 5 Missouri 20, No. 7 Ohio State 19
December 14, 2014 | St. John Arena; Columbus, Ohio
Attendance: 2,666

125: Alan Waters (Missouri) decision over Nathan Tomasello (OSU) 11-8; Missouri 3, OSU 0
133: Johnni DiJulius decision over Matt Manley (Missouri) 5-2; Missouri 3, OSU 3
141: Logan Stieber won by forfeit; OSU 9, Missouri 3
149: Drake Houdashelt (Missouri) fall over Hunter Stieber (OSU) 2:49; OSU 9, Missouri 9
157: Josh Demas (OSU) decision over Joseph LaVallee (Missouri) 3-2; OSU 12, Missouri 9
165: Cody Johnson (Missouri) decision over Justin Kresevic (OSU) 9-7 (OT);  OSU 12, Missouri 12
174: Mark Martin (OSU) decision over Mike England (Missouri) 5-2; OSU 15, Missouri 12
184: Willie Miklus (Missouri) major decision over Josh Fox (OSU) 12-2; Missouri 16, OSU 15
197: Kyle Snyder (OSU) major decision over John Eblen (Missouri) 15-5; OSU 19, Missouri 16
285: J’den Cox (Missouri) decision over Nick Tavanello (OSU) 4-2; Missouri 20, OSU 19*
*Missouri awarded point based on fourth tiebreaker criteria (first takedown of first match)

Edited by gromit