Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Edinboro

Occurred to me tonight that I haven't heard one word about Edinboro this year. Did Tim Flynn's departure gut the program? I've always thought of them as a team that "punches above their weight" - any dark horses from there to keep an eye on at NCAAs?

There was a mass exodus following his departure - all four of their returning NCAA qualifiers transferred.  Sean Russell transferred to Minnesota, Andrew Shomers to Oklahoma State, Korbin Myers and Billy Miller both to Virginia Tech.  

5 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

There was a mass exodus following his departure - all four of their returning NCAA qualifiers transferred.  Sean Russell transferred to Minnesota, Andrew Shomers to Oklahoma State, Korbin Myers and Billy Miller both to Virginia Tech.  

Yup & a damn shame.  Need programs outside the Big 10 & Okie State to remain relevant.  Still waiting for Lehigh to get back into the top 5 nationally.  

13 hours ago, ThorsteinV said:

Dakota Greer too right? 

1 hour ago, Sublime607 said:

With Bruce Baumgartner running the show I’m sure wrestling will be a priority and they will rebound.

He is not doing that anymore.  The university moved him up to some newly created position within the school administration and there is a new AD running the show.  The PSAC schools have been looked at closely regarding financials over the past couple of years and I know EUP isn't doing that well even after dumping a ton of money into facilities across the campus.  Matt Hill has been doing the right things in terms of fundraising, communicating with alumni, but the departure of the wrestlers listed above all at once would devastate most programs.

2 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Sure puts the lie to the NCAA letter of intent saying they sign to the school, not the coach or program.

If they signed to the school, would top wrestlers go to Iowa?  Football players to Alabama?  Doubtful.  UVA, Stanford, Harvard, and Princeton would be crushing it though.    It would be nice to see student-athletes factoring their education / future vocations as a higher priority. 

A barely seen or working head VB coach (that had been given too much leeway for too long) filed a Title IX grievance against Bruce.  That got the whole ball rolling the wrong way in addition to the financial challenges at the University.  Flynn flew the coop looking for more $ and greener pastures.  Then the athletes scattered out of fear.  A position was created in development to keep Bruce till retirement.   New AD working hard with lots to overcome but likes wrestling.  Hill & DePalma swimming in the right direction and working hard.  Just lots to rebuild after the exodus-imagine this years lineup--

Sean Russell-Minnesota

Korbin Meyers-VA Tech

Patricio Lugo-iowa

Andrew Shomers-Ok State

Jacob Oliver -Remained at Edinboro

Dakota Geer-OK State

Billy Miller-VA Tech

Could have been another killer year!!  Alumni need to keep stepping up-