Idaho

Chandler Rogers Odd Man Out....

Did moving Smith, Smith, and Geer up really help them?

Is Rogers, Smith, Smith, and Geer/Weigel better or worse than Smith, Smith, Geer and Weigel?

I guess we will see how the plan works

I can tell you Smith worked pretty hard last April to get Geer-he knew he needed an 84 pounder and he went after him hard!!   Whether his son goes down, Weigel's injury pushes others up a weight, whatever--he knew he had Geer at 84 and was going from there.

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

The moral of the story is only apparent if you actually pay attention.  

If you're an OSU fan like you say, then you know Joe would have been at 165 by the Scuffle but Joe, Jacobe Smith, and Geer all moved/stayed up to help the team after Weigel's injury.  If Weigel doesn't get hurt then Chandler loses his spot 2 months ago.  

Rodgers cannot beat Joe and he cannot beat Jacobe.  That is terrible for him, but I cannot believe how many people think that fair is when the guy who isn't the best gets the spot.  

i have no prob with the wrestle off for 165 but as another poster mentioned which lineup is going to get better results:

smith, rogers, smith, weigel   

OR

smith, smith, geer, weigel

They didn't wrestle up "for the team".  They wrestled up to make room for Jojo. And now Jojo is moving down.  Did he have to make scratch weight?  Is he going to be able to do it for 3 days?  This all feels....bad.  Jojo is better than Chandler, but he also is making this decision at the end of the season for real reasons:  because he can't make 165 all year and he's not a title threat at 174.  It sucks for Chandler.

If Weigel couldn't come back Smith would 100% be up at 174 and not at 165. This is one or those moments where there is a team element despite it being an individual sport. Best lineup is likely what Smith has now, it just stinks it all came out so late, but Weigel just made it back a couple of weeks ago from his injury so there is that

38 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

They didn't wrestle up "for the team".  They wrestled up to make room for Jojo. And now Jojo is moving down.  Did he have to make scratch weight?  Is he going to be able to do it for 3 days?  This all feels....bad.  Jojo is better than Chandler, but he also is making this decision at the end of the season for real reasons:  because he can't make 165 all year and he's not a title threat at 174.  It sucks for Chandler.

Not according to John today. He said they all wrestled up because he thought it was their best dual lineup and he still thinks duals are important. He said all those guys have basically been light for the past month (including Joe). He specifically said Joe could have made 165 a long time ago but he didn't feel it was right for the team and he also didn't think it was fair with Chandler's injury. He said Joe has been weighing in the low 170s, high 160s after practice for a month now. 

43 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

You're making stuff up. 

Nobody ever moved up for Joe.  When Joe was up he sat the bench until he got down to 165, which would have been the scuffle.  Then when Weigel got hurt Joe slid in at 174 and Jacobe and Geer went up.  

44 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The name is Joseph ;-)

7 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

You're insinuating a level of knowledge you obviously don't have. 

Since it is widely known that you know everything, why don't you divulge the knowledge that I don't have that you obviously do? Do tell. 

35 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Since it is widely known that you know everything, why don't you divulge the knowledge that I don't have that you obviously do? Do tell. 

I don't have to prove anything, I'm not engaging in trite and predictable character assassination of a person with a really good reputation. Your claiming knowledge of the inner workings of OSU wrestling, and the inner workings of John Smiths mind, but with no evidence, so you are just talking as if you had it.

9 hours ago, boconnell said:

The moral of the story is only apparent if you actually pay attention.  

If you're an OSU fan like you say, then you know Joe would have been at 165 by the Scuffle but Joe, Jacobe Smith, and Geer all moved/stayed up to help the team after Weigel's injury.  If Weigel doesn't get hurt then Chandler loses his spot 2 months ago.  

Rodgers cannot beat Joe and he cannot beat Jacobe.  That is terrible for him, but I cannot believe how many people think that fair is when the guy who isn't the best gets the spot.  

Everybody understands what OSU is doing here and nobody faults Smith for it.  It makes sense and as a coach he did what he needed to do to get the best possible result in the postseason. But that doesn't mean this isn't also a **** move for him to do to a senior two time AA that had put together an AA caliber season this year.  If he'd planned properly Rogers could have transfered last summer and gotten a chance his last postseason. This isn't a hit on the program or anything. It's just a really bad situation for a college kid that has always done everything he was supposed to.

8 hours ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

Everybody understands what OSU is doing here and nobody faults Smith for it.  It makes sense and as a coach he did what he needed to do to get the best possible result in the postseason. But that doesn't mean this isn't also a **** move for him to do to a senior two time AA that had put together an AA caliber season this year.  If he'd planned properly Rogers could have transfered last summer and gotten a chance his last postseason. This isn't a hit on the program or anything. It's just a really bad situation for a college kid that has always done everything he was supposed to.

Chandler is one of my favorite OSU wrestlers of all time. I'm gutted for him. That being said he hasn't put an AA caliber season together this year. He lost to the only two top 10 guys he faced and didn't get a takedown in either match. He wasn't looking at a good seed come NCAAs. I'm a homer so I think he would have AA'd but he was facing a tough road to get it done. 

9 hours ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

I think this is a pretty good assessment of the situation.

Also...

*whispers* Jacobe was better off at 184, he could theoretically place 2nd there.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I think this is a pretty good assessment of the situation.

Also...

*whispers* Jacobe was better off at 184, he could theoretically place 2nd there.

I think they score less points this way.  I also think Jacobe was just as good and had a higher ceiling at 184.  I have to assume Jacobe feels different.  

Didn't the Cowboys have a similar situation in the 1990's having to sit a returning AA for the NCAA tournament due to a logjam?

When you go to a Top 10 school,. one should assume they are trying to replace you every moment you are there. No one is guaranteed anything. It may be harsh, but that has to be the mentality.

1 hour ago, Greatdane67 said:

Didn't the Cowboys have a similar situation in the 1990's having to sit a returning AA for the NCAA tournament due to a logjam?

When you go to a Top 10 school,. one should assume they are trying to replace you every moment you are there. No one is guaranteed anything. It may be harsh, but that has to be the mentality.

https://newsok.com/article/2883237/osus-frishkorn-deals-with-weighty-issues

7 hours ago, boconnell said:

I think they score less points this way.  I also think Jacobe was just as good and had a higher ceiling at 184.  I have to assume Jacobe feels different.  

JoJo has chance to win at 165 though.

Not saying he will but has a chance.

It's not out of the question.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:06 PM, cjc007 said:

It's too bad he can't wrestle unattached at 165. He's obviously one of the top 33 at that weight class.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's a shame.  Chandler is easily one of the top 10 guys at 165.

If Weigel couldn't come back Smith would 100% be up at 174 and not at 165. This is one or those moments where there is a team element despite it being an individual sport. Best lineup is likely what Smith has now, it just stinks it all came out so late, but Weigel just made it back a couple of weeks ago from his injury so there is that to consider. I think Rogers knew this was coming, seemed like he wanted to go out with that big celebration at the Iowa dual. While it is sad to see a senior lose out on a starting spot Chandler isn't the lone 2x aa as others mentioned. Was Carl a jerk for putting cassar in? Was he doing a disservice to his athletes?