Jimmy Cinnabon

Is Joseph the least respected 2x returning champ?

2x returning champ, undefeated this season (21-0 with 17 wins by bonus)  with a 68-6 career mark.    2 for 2 in NCAA titles where he pinned and decisively beat a stud 2x champ in IMar.

Yet many rate him 2nd or 3rd best in his own conference, and probably 50% or less pick him to 3-peat this year.

Is he the least respected returning 2x champ ever?  If he had faced Wick and beaten him would that have changed things?

9 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Heil

Fair, but Heil was the king of the 1 point win.  Over his 4 years his bonus win percentages: 33%, 27%, 40%, 38% --- Joseph in his 2 years 60% and 81%.  And with his "scrambling" style he always seemed an inch or two away from getting upset.

Joseph has been much more dominant in his wins.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

I've been saying this for a while. In my opinion, he's certainly earned the respect of the wrestling community with his wins over IMAR + dominance. But I definitely agree (for whatever reason) he doesn't get the respect he deserves. I'm an Iowa fan, but because he gets overlooked part of me wants to see Cenzo walk away with 4 NCAA titles. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

2x returning champ, undefeated this season (21-0 with 17 wins by bonus)  with a 68-6 career mark.    2 for 2 in NCAA titles where he pinned and decisively beat a stud 2x champ in IMar.

Yet many rate him 2nd or 3rd best in his own conference, and probably 50% or less pick him to 3-peat this year.

Is he the least respected returning 2x champ ever?  If he had faced Wick and beaten him would that have changed things?

Maybe because this might be the first time he will have a potential undefeated season.  When you have a loss(es) in your record, the luster and intimidation disappear and people will think you are beatable, e.g., Lee.

Edited by jsn112

1.  There's a lot of recency bias going on here.  

2.  He's overshadowed by Nolf and Nickal, and is looked at being on a similar tier as Hall (I guess).  Having those guys on the team aren't doing him, as an individual, any favors.

3.  His weight class is relatively "stacked" in comparison to other weight classes

4.  He keeps it fairly close with Top 5 guys in his stacked weight class.  

5.  We've been treated within MAJOR recent times to:

* 2 4X Champs in Dake and Stieber

* A Multitude of 2x and 3x Champs

* Captain America (winning Worlds twice and the Olympics, all while in college, desensitizes EVERYONE to everyone elses achievements)

So... respect?  It's absolutely "there", but it's relative.

I think it is partly as previously mentioned that he is at PSU where so much attention is on Nolf and Bo.  Kind of like wright with Ruth and Taylor.  

Also for me, it comes down to the odds.  I did think he would win it last year, but looking at the probability of great wrestlers who win 4 it is so rare.  Yet most of them win it their senior year.  I mean you have Pat Smith, Sanderson, Dake, and Logie that were 4 timers.  Yet tons of "their gonna be 4xers" never materialized.  With each title win the next gets more difficult.  Especially with the added pressure.  Just my thoughts on it. 

He's the Working Man's wrestler. He goes on the mat, pushes for the win, goes back off the mat and it is all in a days work.

He's not flamboyant and showy. He gets to work and gets the job done.

Nolf and Bo get the attention and Hall gets what is left because of his 'bad boy' personna.

Joseph just wins. Even when he pins or tech falls opponents it is 'all in a days work', not something crazy like the entertainment kings that surround him.

Hope he wins this year so next year he gets a lot more attention. For a guy working on his third title he is under the radar in many ways.