ConnorsDad

Gross transferring & SDSU Issues

My record as a prognosticator is pretty ****ty but I will admit I did see this coming. Bono did a fantastic job with the Bisons but I figured they would struggle a little bit while Hahn got settled in (lost a great coach, not going to sneak up on anyone again, first time as a HC) and then, after he got hurt, I thought it could be a tough, tough year as Gross was more to that team than just it's 133 lber. Man it has been a rough one and Gross now may transfer. They've had some times where they looked okay (dual win @ Oregon St.) but they've also had some times where they looked horrible this year w/ a shut out loss to Pitt, shut out loss to Iowa St. 47-0, Fresno 38-3, etc. Gross would have helped some but he can't wrestle every match. I want Hahn to succeed because from what I hear he's a good guy but this was not a great first year. Anybody agree, disagree, any thoughts?

Wait till Hahn gets his recruits in and going before making any judgement on what the program is today. As for Gross transferring I’d hope there would be some loyalty to SDSU as they stick their necks out to give Seth another shot. But if not good luck to him. I for one am very excited about what Hahn is building and how he’s building it vs the last Coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

This would be his second D1 to D1 transfer, right?

So he will lose a year of eligibility and have to sit. 

He may be graduating from SDSU. If that is the case he would be able to transfer anywhere without restrictions. 

13 minutes ago, Legpass141 said:

He may be graduating from SDSU. If that is the case he would be able to transfer anywhere without restrictions. 

Do you have to enter the transfer portal if your graduating from the school?  If not would entering it just helping him have quicker access to to talk to coaches while still in season?  Just wondering how that works with anyone trying to graduate out. 

1 hour ago, 4awrestler said:

Wait till Hahn gets his recruits in and going before making any judgement on what the program is today. As for Gross transferring I’d hope there would be some loyalty to SDSU as they stick their necks out to give Seth another shot. But if not good luck to him. I for one am very excited about what Hahn is building and how he’s building it vs the last Coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want him to do well like I said. I just thought this first year might be tough and that was before Gross was out.

7 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Do you have to enter the transfer portal if your graduating from the school?  If not would entering it just helping him have quicker access to to talk to coaches while still in season?  Just wondering how that works with anyone trying to graduate out. 

You do not have to use the transfer portal but you can and it helps the student. Coaches know who's interested and gives a way to contact schools.  As a graduate transfer he can go wherever he wants. 

I’m not worried about SDSU. Even if Bono was there, it would be a down year. Their senior class last year was very strong. 

Thry also lost their 125 and their 133 champ. Of course they aren’t good this year. 

They have what looks to be an excellent 197 waiting in the wings, plus a couple solid recruits coming in.

Also, a handful of top recruits decommitted and others who would’ve come also chose to remove SDSU from consideration. We saw the same thing at ISU, and ISU was in better shape than SDSU (when you consider who was going to be left at SDSU whether bono left or not)  ISU was terrible last season and people were hard on the coaching staff, which  was stupid  

Hahn deserves a couple of years to prove himself, just like Dresser at ISU, Gavin at Pitt, Oklahoma, Fresno State, Northern Colorado, etc

11 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

I don't think the permission-to-contact rules are any different for graduating seniors, so it may simply be a way to avoid any issues with improper contact, get an official scholarship offer in place, etc.  

On the other hand, this also gives every other team in the NCAA the ability to try to pitch him on their school...

I wont pretend that I called it or anything, but I've been thinking that this was coming for about a month now. Since his surgery Gross has been pretty silent on social media. Not much interaction with team social media or anything. Idk, something just seemed off. 

I think Hahn will be/do just fine. Give him a few seasons to get his system rolling, and to get his recruits going. Different approach than Bono and that's fine. Just gotta give it some time. 

I believe Seth Gross will need to be awarded a 6th year of eligibility or he cannot compete transfer or no transfer.

If I am not mistaken he has applied for the additional year - I was not aware graduation transfers have to enter the portal. 

2 hours ago, WF89 said:

My money is on Hahn.

Bono has a huge advantage based on geography and being in the Big 10. 

How many D1 wrestlers come out of South Dakota in a given year? 1? 2? 5?

12 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Exactly.  SDSU may be becoming a stepping stone program.

18 hours ago, NJDan said:

They are right on the state line with Minnesota.  Iowa is right there as well.  And the out of state tuition is cheap as hell.  

Big 12 team. No reason they couldn’t be a top 10 or 15 program. 

1 hour ago, LemonPie said:

They are right on the state line with Minnesota.  Iowa is right there as well.  And the out of state tuition is cheap as hell.  

Big 12 team. No reason they couldn’t be a top 10 or 15 program. 

You're not wrong but they also have Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, and Wisconsin all recruiting from that same pool of wrestlers. Plus that's the hotbed for D-III schools and you've got Grandview in the mix as well.  Lots of competition for wrestlers in a part of the country that only has so many people in it. They'll have high years like they did last year but it'd be tough to consistently be a top twenty team when you're naturally going to be behind most of those schools for recruits unless you offer more scholarship money. 

Edited by ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

On 3/5/2019 at 6:49 PM, Legpass141 said:

Seth Gross can grad transfer but won't he need SDSU's support getting a medical waiver? Otherwise I think he's used up his eligibility.

Also: is the transfer portal a new thing? I totally don't remember hearing about it during high profile transfers in prior seasons (like Suriano, Desanto, or JRent) or in other D1 sports until now.