Sign in to follow this  
ConnorsDad

EWL No longer - All 7 teams to the MAC

5 hours ago, PSUMike said:

Realistically, I think this just means fewer allotments spread out over more teams now when it comes to the NCAAs. I don't think this is a good thing for them collectively. 

Compared to the 14 spots they gave the EWL this year? The size and strength of the EWL (especially with the collapse of Edinboro) is a shell of its former self. Additionally, good luck getting a wildcard in the EWL if it comes down to that. As a Lock Haven alum I think the move is a good thing. 

Next year's conferences

ACC-6

B12-12

B10-14

EIWA-16

MAC-15

P12-5

SoCon-7

There has to be an easy way to combine the smaller conferences or have some teams absorbed into bigger ones to make a regional qualifying system with no dynamic allocation and wildcards. We seem to be naturally headed that way so why not just do it already. 

11 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Next year's conferences

ACC-6

B12-12

B10-14

EIWA-16

MAC-15

P12-5

SoCon-7

There has to be an easy way to combine the smaller conferences or have some teams absorbed into bigger ones to make a regional qualifying system with no dynamic allocation and wildcards. We seem to be naturally headed that way so why not just do it already. 

Because you are the only one who thinks this is a good idea.

Is this an actual conference or is it merely a regional qualifier?

Will there be a dual schedule put together by the conference and a dual champion crowned?

Or will all the teams just come together for a tournament to qualify for the NCAA tournament?  The article makes it sound like it is merely a qualifier.

18 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

Is this an actual conference or is it merely a regional qualifier?

Will there be a dual schedule put together by the conference and a dual champion crowned?

Or will all the teams just come together for a tournament to qualify for the NCAA tournament?  The article makes it sound like it is merely a qualifier.

The MAC announcement refers to the EWL teams as "affiliate members".

Same as Missouri.Old Dominion and SIU Edwardsville.

So I would expect all the teams to participate as conference members.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that the dual aspect will be separate similar to how it was. However the "conference tournament" will merge them.  In reality Mizzou is in the SEC, but compete in the MAC wrestling wise.  Which isn't news I know. 

45 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Because you are the only one who thinks this is a good idea.

No a lot of people do, just not enough, yet.

Inevitability is a funny thing, not everybody sees it early enough to assist it along to get the best outcome possible. They fight and resist, fearing or hating what is coming their way, until a half-baked system is put in place and the remainder of society begrudgingly and nosily accept reality. History is replete with examples.   

6 minutes ago, Zebra said:

No a lot of people do, just not enough, yet.

Inevitability is a funny thing, not everybody sees it early enough to assist it along to get the best outcome possible. They fight and resist, fearing or hating what is coming their way, until a half-baked system is put in place and the remainder of society begrudgingly and nosily accept reality. History is replete with examples.   

Like New Coke or the Confederate States of America?

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

I like the regional qualifier idea (each region gets 8 or whatever), as it would make guys wrestle for their spots and not be able to do the :01 injury default because they know they have a spot secured. And yes I know you'd still have guys make semis and inj default down to 6th, and some guys would get screwed because they're banged up at qualifier time but might have been healthy by time NCAA rolled around. Nothing is perfect.

I don't like that it would further minimize the regular season. Think we have ducking now?  

17 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Like New Coke or the Confederate States of America?

How about the demise of the US auto industry? Or the bankruptcy and eventual complete closing of Hostess? The transition to online shopping? There are three obvious examples where the eventual outcome and consequences for failure to adapt and respond accordingly had devastating results.   

Edited by Zebra

50 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

The MAC announcement refers to the EWL teams as "affiliate members".

Same as Missouri.Old Dominion and SIU Edwardsville.

So I would expect all the teams to participate as conference members.

Yes, I understand that.  But will it be like the EIWA, which is merely a qualifier, or will it be like the MAC previously where everyone wrestled each other and there was a dual champion decided. 

Half the "conferences" can now have multiple undefeated teams in conference at the end of the regular season.  

23 minutes ago, Zebra said:

How about the demise of the US auto industry? Or the bankruptcy and eventual complete closing of Hostess? The transition to online shopping? There are three obvious examples where the eventual outcome and consequences for failure to adapt and respond accordingly had devastating results.   

Yes, who can forget the failure of Big Hostess?

26 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

Yes, I understand that.  But will it be like the EIWA, which is merely a qualifier, or will it be like the MAC previously where everyone wrestled each other and there was a dual champion decided. 

Half the "conferences" can now have multiple undefeated teams in conference at the end of the regular season.  

Conference dual schedule will be in divisions with 2 crossover duals. So it won't be like the EIWA. 

23 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

Based on past practices,I would think (hope) the MAC would keep things like they are,where everyone wrestles each other.

What I can see is the MAC setting up 2 divisions.

You'd wrestle everyone in that division every year,then rotate opponents from the other division.

As far as LIU.

When it was first announced that they were going have a D1 program the thought around here in N.J was that

they'd either go to the EIWA or more likely the EWL.

With the conference merger the MAC seems like a good option.

When the waiting period is up. They need, what, four years before they can compete in NCAA and qualifier, but if MAC would go to some kind of Dual Meet championship, I would assume they could compete in that.

No waiting period for LIU, since they are already an existing Division I institution under the Brooklyn campus, so it's not like LIU Post is moving up, rather, they're combining athletics resources under a single Division I entity. No wait.