Sign in to follow this  
ConnorsDad

EWL No longer - All 7 teams to the MAC

21 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Conference dual schedule will be in divisions with 2 crossover duals. So it won't be like the EIWA. 

Is it going to be like the D1 football conferences, where teams have crossovers during the season, then a championship game, that is occasionally a rematch? Or is it going to be like an 8 team double pool HS tourney,  where they determine 1-4 in each pool, then match 1-2's and 3-4's in a crossover, then 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4?  So Mac Would want a 16th team

10 hours ago, PSUMike said:

Realistically, I think this just means fewer allotments spread out over more teams now when it comes to the NCAAs. I don't think this is a good thing for them collectively. 

so you understand how allocations work? you are the one. 

10 minutes ago, RichB said:

Is it going to be like the D1 football conferences, where teams have crossovers during the season, then a championship game, that is occasionally a rematch? Or is it going to be like an 8 team double pool HS tourney,  where they determine 1-4 in each pool, then match 1-2's and 3-4's in a crossover, then 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4?  So Mac Would want a 16th team

Scheduling by division. 2 crossover duals. Didn't say anything about a conference championship or pool matchups or anything of the sort. Crossover duals means wrestling two conference duals against teams in the other division as part of your conference dual schedule. Sorry if my post alluded to something that wasn't intended. 

35 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

No waiting period for LIU, since they are already an existing Division I institution under the Brooklyn campus, so it's not like LIU Post is moving up, rather, they're combining athletics resources under a single Division I entity. No wait. 

Cool, thanks

18 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Question now is can an All Star team selection from this new Full MAC beat Penn State in a Dual meet?

Probably not as Penn State would not ever schedule a difficult out of conference dual! Thus the demise of the National Duals a potential boon to college wrestling.

46 minutes ago, mlbruem said:

Probably not as Penn State would not ever schedule a difficult out of conference dual! Thus the demise of the National Duals a potential boon to college wrestling.

TBar in 3,2,1...

Strange to call it the MAC when the majority of teams are not traditional MAC teams at this point.  Either way glad to see the depth of competition improve.    They aren’t at the Big10 level but at least as a while the conference is getting a little closer to the Big12 in possible NCAA allocations.

Edited by MadMardigain

13 hours ago, LHU125 said:

Compared to the 14 spots they gave the EWL this year? The size and strength of the EWL (especially with the collapse of Edinboro) is a shell of its former self. Additionally, good luck getting a wildcard in the EWL if it comes down to that. As a Lock Haven alum I think the move is a good thing. 

I get that but look at it this way. The conference champ is guaranteed a spot. Aside from that, if you don't match the criteria, you have to pull a wild card. Now, you are merging 2 conferences so you have half as many champs between them. How many conference champs among the 2 current conferences would not meet the criteria to get a guaranteed spot? Without digging too deep, I'd venture to say quite a few when its all said and done after the tourney. So that leaves the rest fighting over wild cards. Just my guess but I think you'll have the spots consolidated and overall, lose a few spots in the merge unless there is a power surge from an unlikley source. Just my guess. 

7 hours ago, mlbruem said:

Because AZ State is such a joke....

19 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Question now is can an All Star team selection from this new Full MAC beat Penn State in a Dual meet?

Right now that would would simply be a dual between PSU and Mizzou, basically.  So the answer would be no.  

I do get why you would ask though.  It would be criminal for there to be a topic that PSU was left out of.   

On 3/6/2019 at 7:50 AM, Zebra said:

Next year's conferences

ACC-6

B12-12

B10-14

EIWA-16

MAC-15

P12-5

SoCon-7

There has to be an easy way to combine the smaller conferences or have some teams absorbed into bigger ones to make a regional qualifying system with no dynamic allocation and wildcards. We seem to be naturally headed that way so why not just do it already. 

They're trying to reduce the number of qualifiers but I don't see them going away from dynamic allocations. The current process isn't perfect and they probably could tweak it a bit here and there but I can't see them ever going back to a system that didn't recognize current season results. 

The new allocation system incentivizes consolidation which I think is a shame and is not good for wrestling.

I haven't liked the new allocation system.  But it is much better than the old system.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:50 AM, Zebra said:

Next year's conferences

ACC-6

B12-12

B10-14

EIWA-16

MAC-15

P12-5

SoCon-8 (add Presbyterian into this - SHP Edit)

There has to be an easy way to combine the smaller conferences or have some teams absorbed into bigger ones to make a regional qualifying system with no dynamic allocation and wildcards. We seem to be naturally headed that way so why not just do it already. 

We also don't know where Little Rock or LIU will end up, both will be eligible next year. (We don't know where Cal Baptist will end up either, or whether they'll wrestle a full conference dual schedule, but they aren't conference championships-eligible until 2023)

13 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

The new allocation system incentivizes consolidation which I think is a shame and is not good for wrestling.

I haven't liked the new allocation system.  But it is much better than the old system.

You think? I'd disagree...If anything, it incentivizes smaller-sized conferences amongst the lower-budget schools, due to their receiving an automatic bid if there isn't anybody good enough otherwise. The EWL alone will lose three bids that it had this year due to it merging into the MAC.

There are benefits in other places (for example, administrative costs), but the allocation system presumably wasn't among them.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

2 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

We also don't know where Little Rock or LIU will end up, both will be eligible next year. (We don't know where Cal Baptist will end up either, or whether they'll wrestle a full conference dual schedule, but they aren't conference championships-eligible until 2023)

Ultimately there are approximately 80 teams so 4 conferences of 20 teams will lead to 32 qualifiers, 10 different than we have now. Teams have been moving conferences in all sports since the beginning of the NCAA and will continue to do so until the end of time. Or at least the end of the NCAA. 

Has a 9th place qualifier or at large bid ever placed in the NCAA tournament? I cannot remember any and if not the whole this conference is tougher argument really is a non-sequitur.  

Just now, Zebra said:

Ultimately there are approximately 80 teams so 4 conferences of 20 teams will lead to 32 qualifiers, 10 different than we have now. Teams have been moving conferences in all sports since the beginning of the NCAA and will continue to do so until the end of time. Or at least the end of the NCAA. 

Has a 9th place qualifier or at large bid ever placed in the NCAA tournament? I cannot remember any and if not the whole this conference is tougher argument really is a non-sequitur.  

Pretty sure Alex Dieringer won a national title as an at-large qualifier that one year...

40 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

You think? I'd disagree...If anything, it incentivizes smaller-sized conferences amongst the lower-budget schools, due to their receiving an automatic bid if there isn't anybody good enough otherwise. The EWL alone will lose three bids that it had this year due to it merging into the MAC.

There are benefits in other places (for example, administrative costs), but the allocation system presumably wasn't among them.

Bid stealing is a huge incentive. 

There is a arbitrary line drawn in how to allocate bids to athletes.  This is why some weights have fewer pre-allocations than other weights. 

You can then steal bids from deserving athletes and those athletes will still get in.  Large conferences can steal more than one bid at a weight. This allows for more additional bids than the one auto-bid which is available to smaller conferences.