Sign in to follow this  
restlefan

All Things Pittsburgh

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, PSUMike said:

Sandwich shop...from where you're staying, there are 2 places that are supposed to be good but I've never been. One is North Shore Deli and the other Allegheny Sandwich Shoppe. 

Sports bar would probably be Fat Heads in the Southside although I'd rather **** a light socket than go to the Southside on a weekend night. Not my kind of scene. 

Steakhouse would be Meat and Potatoes in the Cultural District a.k.a. downtown, center city. They have a tomahawk for 2 that's excellent. I think it's 44oz with 2 sides, compound butter and bone marrow for around $75. I basically never order steak out as I can usually make it better with my sous vide and a cast iron but that's worth it. 

My favorite pizza in the area is Aiello's in Squirrel Hill. Right next door is Mineo's. There is a big rivalry between the 2. Legend has it Mineo brought Aiello over from Italy to help him in his shop and then a few years later, Aiello went out on his own and started his own shop literally next door. Both sell by the slice so you could compare. Both excellent but Aiellos gets the nod from me. 

Inside the arena will be typical arena food. Nothing to write home about. 

The T runs from south of the city to the Northside and back. That's it. It wouldn't be advantageous for you to use it. Walking is probably is a little rough. Uber or your car would be my recommendation. Parking around the city isn't great but it's not awful either. There is on-street parking available in most neighborhoods. 

The Southside can be a little sketchy at times. It's the hangout for all the college kids so it attracts some trash as well for easy pickings. On the main street running though (Carson), you'll be fine but going back into the slopes (where it sounds like you'll be staying) might be a touch risky. It's not something I'd definitively say is a bad idea especially if you'll be with a group. But one guy walking by himself at night in that part of town might attract a little attention. Ubers are plentiful and I seldom wait too long even in my neighborhood 20 minutes north of the city. Most bars will open for brunch around 10-11. Close at 2am by state law. 

Also as a side note, the area immediately surrounding PPG Paints arena is fine but under no circumstances should you venture Northeast of there. The Hill District is an area I don't even like to drive through. Stay south of Fifth Avenue. 

Great advice, Thanks!

I 100% am.  Total cliche.   Steak and a Rye Manhattan to start.  I've contacted M&P and Butcher and the Rye already for reservations.  Many thanks. 
Butcher and the Rye has a hell of a bottle list. You can find multiple Pappy's as well as some high end Japanese Whiskeys like Yamazaki 18. They don't mess around.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, restlefan said:

Anyone local know how bad the protests will be for the police shooting trial that starts 03/19/19? 

That’s interesting.   It hasn’t been great thus far, but have to think the city will clamp down with a major event in town

3 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Does anyone know if they will be serving beer at the arena like they did last year in Cleveland?

Don't know for certain but gotta figure yes....becoming more and more the norm for big NCAA events.  Been to ACCs a couple times for basketball and they always do there.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:11 PM, dpd926 said:

Please post links to the various clubs parties during NCAA Championships in Pittsburgh (I will try to update this post as people post links)

WEDNESDAY, March 20:
The Kickoff Party, hosted by Jordan and Lauren Burroughs: 7:30 PM at Jay Verno Studios, South Side neighborhood of Pittsburgh, http://www.thekickoffparty.com/home
Looks like DT, Snyder, Helen Maroulis will be there and it raises funds for local club(s)

THURSDAY, March 21:
Edinboro: 3-5:30pm, 2nd Floor, Pittsburgh Marriott City Center,
Come meet and mingle with the Edinboro Wrestling Coaches - Matt Hill and Mike DePalma, Director of Athletics - Katherine Robbins, Olympic Gold Medalist – Bruce Baumgartner, former Edinboro wrestlers, friends, families, and supporters!
Heavy hors d'oeuvres will be served. There will also be a cash bar.
Registration Deadline: Sunday, March 17, 2019
https://secure.touchnet.com/C20711_ustores/web/store_cat.jsp?STOREID=26&CATID=59

FRIDAY, March 22:
Lock Haven Alumni Association NCAA Social: 2:00 PM- 6:00 PM Double Tree by Hilton https://allevents.in/pittsburgh/loc...tling-social-at-2019-nationals/20003293395030

Slippery Rock University Alumni NCAA Social: 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM, Marriott City Center in the Three Rivers Room

Clarion Wrestling NCAA Social: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM Café Fifth
https://allevents.in/pittsburgh/clarion-wrestling-social-2019-ncaas/20003456903934

Pittsburgh Wrestling Club NCAA Social: 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM, Penn Society Club (below Ten Penny Restaurant), $35 per person (food and 1 drink ticket included), https://www.pittsburghwrestlingclub.com/2019-pwc-social

WPIAL Wrestling Social: 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM, Red Ring Bar and Grill, 1970s/80s WPIAL wrestlers, family and friends, open bar and complimentary appetizers with a $20 suggested donation (all proceeds to boys and Girls Club of Western PA).

SATURDAY, March 23:
Penn State Alumni Association NCAA Wrestling Championship Mixer: 3-5 p.m., March 23, @Bufords_5thAve, Free for @PennStateAlums members; $10 non-members, Registration required and non-transferrable. Limited space.
Register ➡️ https://t.co/5jJYl5zHQO pic.twitter.com/WB9Z7cX38n

Wrestlers In Business Network NCAA Social: 2:00-5:00 PM Pittsburgh Marriott City Center https://www.wrestlersinbusiness.org/events/wibn-national-social-ncaas

Penn State Wrestling Club: Immediately following Awards ceremony https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/ncaasocial/join.php (SOLD OUT)

Cornell Wrestling NCAA Post-Tournament Reception 2019: 10:00 PM or immediately following Session VI, Buford's Kitchen - 1014 Fifth Avenue, $40 for each adult 21 and over, $20 for 20 and under (cost includes food and beverage in a Cornell party just steps from the Arena) https://alumni.cornell.edu/event/cornell-wrestling-ncaa-post-tournament-reception-2019/

Old Dominion University will hold their Social Wednesday March 20  5:00-8:00pm  Embassy Suites  535 Smithfield St.  $40 at the door   Three Championship T-Shirts   Heavy Hors D'Oeuvres, Beer, Wine and Non-Alcohol drinks

5 hours ago, restlefan said:

Protest Guidelines in the article.    https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/protest-organizers-not-happy-with-city-of-pittsburgh-s-new-policies/799142701

Asking the locals.......Looking at the streets considered "Red Zones",  any recommendations for people traveling from the North side?

I'd take the T to Steel Plaza Station.

3 hours ago, grappler6 said:

Any tips on best way to travel from airport to down by the arena?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if any hotels offer shuttles into the city. If they do, I'd hop onto one of those. If not, I'd use UBER - should be about $30.

Uber into downtown from the airport.  Have the driver stop at Sheetz on Campbell Run Rd.  Grab some food as it's a gas station/convenience store and a PA thing.  Buy something for the driver.   Also grab beer for the hotel as getting beer in PA is different than other states and there's not many places to buy cheaper takeaway beer downtown.

Favorite restaurants are Church Brew Works, a short Uber from downtown.  Get one traditional and one non-traditional pierogi app for the table and sample some of the beers. Lucy's in the strip district is different.  It's not really a restaurant but a tent that sells the most amazing Vietnamese food.  There's also a great Polish place in the strip, S&D Polish Deli.  The haluski and kielbasy are both really good.   Primanti's isn't going to be worth the lines but if you really want to try it, hit the one in Moon Township on your way back to the airport.  It's not as good as the original but I'm not a fan of their sandwiches anyway.

The problem is. where do you guys find time to hit all these places up? Restaurants serve after 10? Free time between session 3-7pm and after 10pm about every day leaves little time to play. 

6 minutes ago, stonerd7 said:

I am struggling to figure out the maps for the light rail.....staying north of town in Cranberry township.  Is there a stop nearby, or am I stuck Ubering?

I live in Cranberry Township. You're ubering. Will be about 25-30 minutes to the arena. 

Thought of one more spot to recommend. In the middle of downtown, there is Sienna Mercato. It's a 3 story restaraunt and each floor has a different menu/theme. The 3rd floor is a rooftop bar which has a nice view and a great selection of beers and cocktails. That's probably my favorite bar in the city. 

2 hours ago, mlbruem said:

Is there any place close (walking distance) to the Drury Plaza Hotel Downtown to by beer

by the case?

Nowhere. Your best bet is to stop and buy it on the way into the city. A lot of Sheetz stores (convenience store/gas station) will sell up to a 12-pack.

If you're flying into PIT make sure you have your phone taking a video when you come through the Fort Pitt Tunnel.   Pittsburgh might have the greatest wow moment entering any city in the world coming from that direction.    

A really underrated place within walking distance to PPG is the Tap Room at the William Penn Hotel.  Pub Fries are solid and they usually have a couple of local breweries on tap.  Would be easy between sessions.

11 hours ago, FAU said:

If you're flying into PIT make sure you have your phone taking a video when you come through the Fort Pitt Tunnel.   Pittsburgh might have the greatest wow moment entering any city in the world coming from that direction.    

A really underrated place within walking distance to PPG is the Tap Room at the William Penn Hotel.  Pub Fries are solid and they usually have a couple of local breweries on tap.  Would be easy between sessions.

Greater than the first-time flying into Vegas?  That is a hard one to beat. 

14 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

Greater than the first-time flying into Vegas?  That is a hard one to beat. 

Wait until you see what I'm talking about.    Just be sure to sit in the front seat if you're traveling with a group.