Jimmy Cinnabon

Who is the heel of your team and why?

Penn State - Mark Hall.  He showboats, has won in controversial fashion (beating Zahid by headgear pull penalty point, questionable lack of TD call vs Bo Jordan) and is older than most true juniors.

Some people are also unhappy that he said he wanted to be the face of Minnesota wrestling but then went to Penn State.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

56 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Ohio State - Luke Pletcher.  He wins, but in an incredibly boring fashion.

Yes, he is boring.  But that doesn't necessarily bother me- sometimes a 1-0 match can be very exciting.  Of course not everyone will agree me on this, and people like TR Foley over at InterMat rant and rave constantly about the evils of "boring" matches.  But much like a pitcher's dual in baseball, low scoring matches aren't necessarily bad.  What does bother me about Pletcher is that he doesn't turn it on when his team desperately needs him to.  Two years in a row, in his team's biggest dual against their biggest rival, he wrestled not to lose... when mathematically speaking, he needed to bonus.  That makes him a heel.

And yeah, DeSanto is probably the biggest heel in the sport right now.  Not exactly shocking- his erratic behavior + that kimura bar last year, which put him in the rare category of "wrestlers who have actively tried to injure their opponent". 

In addition to DeSanto, last year I think Adam Coon also qualified as a heel- rather unjustly, IMO.  Allow me to explain.

We fans know that Coon is, for all intents and purposes, a heck of a nice guy who is also very intelligent (think he was in grad school last year, for aeronautical engineering- in other words, he's a rocket scientist).  But that's not how he was portrayed in the press.  Given Snyder's high profile last year, even some non-wrestling publications picked up on his title win and overall season.  And nearly all of them emphasized Coon's size advantage over Synder; I don't think I read a single article which didn't point out the weight difference.  All in all, Snyder vs. Coon was painted as a "David vs. Goliath" scenario, where the plucky Snyder used wit and guile to take down the giant.  I never really saw Coon receive his due praise as a very, very good wrestler whose lifetime body of work was extremely impressive.  Again, not fair at all.  But, at least from the perspective of the sporting press, he did end his career with a bit of a heel reputation. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Peepers said:

Yes, he is boring.  But that doesn't necessarily bother me- sometimes a 1-0 match can be very exciting.  Of course not everyone will agree me on this, and people like TR Foley over at InterMat rant and rave constantly about the evils of "boring" matches.  But much like a pitcher's dual in baseball, low scoring matches aren't necessarily bad.  What does bother me about Pletcher is that he doesn't turn it on when his team desperately needs him to.  Two years in a row, in his team's biggest dual against their biggest rival, he wrestled not to lose... when mathematically speaking, he needed to bonus.  That makes him a heel.

Guys that have a tough time opening up their offense in big matches are heels now?  I think you're misinterpreting what that word means...

4 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Guys that have a tough time opening up their offense in big matches are heels now?  I think you're misinterpreting what that word means...

Fair enough.  Maybe a heel isn't the right description.  But I was responding to the OP's assessment of Pletcher being a heel for his boring style.  I disagreed that a slow, control-based/defensive style automatically makes one a heel, but that Pletcher's habit of getting gun shy on big stages may.  So yeah, he's not a "bad guy" in the WWE sense of the word, and he's certainly not running his mouth on social media and making claims he can't back up. 

From the “my how times have changed” department, Oklahoma State seems to be heel-less! Aside from noted Black Hat Johnny Hendricks, they have had an infamous tradition of lung time outers and dive out of bounders who hang on the edge, but this years squad seems pretty respectable.

JimmyC, why post the question "Who is the heel of your team..." and then start rambling off wrestlers from a number of schools?

The underlying of the post is "your team".

Did you not understand the basis of your own thread?

24 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

JimmyC, why post the question "Who is the heel of your team..." and then start rambling off wrestlers from a number of schools?

The underlying of the post is "your team".

Did you not understand the basis of your own thread?

What do you mean?  Jimmy's a Penn State, Cornell, Iowa, Ohio State, Golden State Warriors, Duke Basketball, UConn Women's Basketball, Alabama/Clemson Football, Real Madrid, Serena Williams, New England Patriots fan.  These are all "his team."