Jimmy Cinnabon

Is Shakur Rasheed overrated at #2?

#2 ranked in Intermat, 17-0 record but has not faced any top 10 competition.  The only win over a top 20 guy is #19 Jelani Embree who he beat unimpressively (only 5-3).  Should he be ranked much lower?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

#2 ranked in Intermat, 17-0 record but has not faced any top 10 competition.  The only win over a top 20 guy is #19 Jelani Embree who he beat unimpressively (only 5-3).  Should he be ranked much lower?

Get back to me in a little over 2 weeks, I'll have a better answer then.  ;)

40 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

He is probably a little high based on the fact he hasn't wrestled anyone. He is getting a PSU bump. I think Flo has it about right. Having said that, I would be surprised by nothing from the guys ranked 2-15 at 84 at NCAAs. After Martin it is a tossup.

He AA’d at a higher weight last year and hasn’t lost this year, I don’t see a problem with the ranking but I am surprised he got the 2 seed at B10’s due to the time he missed.

So I've been thinking this for awhile now. Why is he ranked so high, he has beat no one? Honestly having him at a 2 for  BIGs would be an a crime. He will be, most likely but i feel he should be a 3 if not a 4. Hurt or no you should have to have a resume to go along with your high seed. But what do I know?

So I've been thinking this for awhile now. Why is he ranked so high, he has beat no one? Honestly having him at a 2 for  BIGs would be an a crime. He will be, most likely but i feel he should be a 3 if not a 4. Hurt or no you should have to have a resume to go along with your high seed. But what do I know?

He started out preseason at 5 and every guy ahead of him took multiple losses except for MyMar. He did wrestle 17 matches and is undefeated..

I can’t wait for this weekend. Once Shak beats Embree, dominates Venz and gives MyMar a tough match maybe it will shut people up..probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer is MAYBE a little bit based on his limited resume this season.  However, that changes to ABSOLUTELY if he isn’t truly recovered from injury.   Manning and Heffernan should be extremely vocal about this in the coaches meeting.  Not that Sanderson would divulge anything, but it may at least change the minds of other coaches. 

There is also the caveat that Manning would rather have Rasheed at the 2 seed with an injury as that would give Venz an “easier” semis if seeds hold. 

The answer is MAYBE a little bit based on his limited resume this season.  However, that changes to ABSOLUTELY if he isn’t truly recovered from injury.   Manning and Heffernan should be extremely vocal about this in the coaches meeting.  Not that Sanderson would divulge anything, but it may at least change the minds of other coaches.  There is also the caveat that Manning would rather have Rasheed at the 2 seed with an injury as that would give Venz an “easier” semis if seeds hold. 

He’s definetly not 100% but who is this time of year? now is not the time for excuses. That includes Spencer, Carr, Parker, Stoll, Hermida, RBY, Berge, etc and anyone else who has missed some time or has looked “off.”

No more excuses..may the best man win

My opinion..if you’re not ready to wrestle, take injury default/med fr and take your chances at NCAAs. But if guys are wrestling, enough with the excuse making

8 minutes ago, pish6969 said:

He’s definetly not 100% but who is this time of year..now is not the time for excuses. That includes Spencer, Carr, Parker, Stoll, Hermida, RBY, etc and anyone else who has missed some time or has looked “off.”

No more excuses..may the best man win

This isn’t about making excuses. This is about properly seeding guys based on their performance. Rasheed has wrestled exactly 2 matches  since January 13th, with one of those being against Buffalo’s 159th ranked Rill. 

Rasheed May very well prove to be deserving, but his limited resume along with missing a bulk of the B1G dual season makes seeding him there somewhat suspect. 

This isn’t about making excuses. This is about properly seeding guys based on their performance. Rasheed has wrestled exactly 2 matches  since January 13th, with one of those being against Buffalo’s 159th ranked Rill. 

Rasheed May very well prove to be deserving, but his limited resume along with missing a bulk of the B1G dual season makes seeding him there somewhat suspect. 

Understand but where do you honestly think they’re going to put him? 3? Ok I can live with it..4? Cmon. You really gonna put a Wilcke or Parker who is more limited ahead of him?

It’s clear to me the coaches first look at who’s undefeated in conference (Ex..Carr, Shak) then by body of work and common sense which to me there’s nothing wrong with

6 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

He wrestles the #1 at 165, 174 and 197 every day. That should count for something.......:):):):)

It depends how you define overrated, but by my definition, yes. 

1. He should not be ranked there based on the data, so I assume the ranking is based on where  people think he will place

2. He looked terrible vs Embree. He isn’t 100%, or wasn’t as of a few weeks ago. He claims he is fine now, but of course he does. We have no evidence to suggest he is #2 when he is fully healthy. Now that he isn’t? Emery Parker and Taylor Venz are excellent. Shakur places 7th fully healthy in a very weak 197 bracket last year. 

Just becuase he wears a PSU singlet doesn’t mean he should get such a huge bump. I think he is a likely AA but I don’t see a way for him to place 2nd. 

6 minutes ago, Greatdane67 said:

He wrestles the #1 at 165, 174 and 197 every day. That should count for something.......:):):):)

I wonder how it goes vs cenzo. That’s a lot of length and strength for cenzo to deal with. Probably helpful for his Wick match if that ever materializes. 

It depends how you define overrated, but by my definition, yes. 
1. He should not be ranked there based on the data, so I assume the ranking is based on where  people think he will place
2. He looked terrible vs Embree. He isn’t 100%, or wasn’t as of a few weeks ago. He claims he is fine now, but of course he does. We have no evidence to suggest he is #2 when he is fully healthy. Now that he isn’t? Emery Parker and Taylor Venz are excellent. Shakur places 7th fully healthy in a very weak 197 bracket last year. 
Just becuase he wears a PSU singlet doesn’t mean he should get such a huge bump. I think he is a likely AA but I don’t see a way for him to place 2nd. 

I love when people use the “he placed 7th in a weak 197.” Let’s be real. He was 1 point away from making final by losing to eventual NC, and his other loss to Moore who was the consensus #1.

Embree no slouch and Shak did what he had to in first match back.

Meanwhile Venz is “excellent?” The same guy who lost to Wilcke who Shak majored last year. The same Wilcke that lost to Colbray who Shak packed in under a minute.

The great part is after this weekend everyone eats their words

4 minutes ago, pish6969 said:

I love when people use the “he placed 7th in a weak 197.” Let’s be real. He was 1 point away from making final by losing to eventual NC, and his other loss to Moore who was the consensus #1.

Meanwhile Venz is “excellent?” The same guy who lost to Wilcke who Shak majored last year. The same Wilcke that lost to Colbray who Shak packed in under a minute.

I was the one saying Shakur would AA 2 years ago when he was the 3rd string. I’ve been supporting him forever. 

Venz placed 4th last year in a deep 184 bracket. He is more credentialed than Rasheed plus he is only a sophomore. As I noted, Shakur is injured. At 100%, things might be different. 

Embree is no slouch, but I expect a guy like Shakur not to be challenged in that match. That’s how good I expect him to be. He isn’t there right now unless something has changed in the past 4 weeks. 

I was the one saying Shakur would AA 2 years ago when he was the 3rd string. I’ve been supporting him forever. 
Venz placed 4th last year in a deep 184 bracket. He is more credentialed than Rasheed plus he is only a sophomore. As I noted, Shakur is injured. At 100%, things might be different. 
Embree is no slouch, but I expect a guy like Shakur not to be challenged in that match. That’s how good I expect him to be. He isn’t there right now unless something has changed in the past 4 weeks. 

Would you like to bet your posting privileges on the Shak/Venz match? If so I’ll take the bet

4 minutes ago, pish6969 said:

You do realize that you can't take 7th place and only have been 1 point away from making the Final.  That comment would be reserved for those that lose in the semifinals.  Which guarantees you at least 6th.  Even then, 197 WAS relatively weak and that still holds true this season.

Venz is dangerous, but unorthodox and can take losses to guys that stay conventional.  Rasheed is anything but conventional.  A match between the 2 could go a myriad of ways.

As far as your Parker comment goes,  you realize he wrestled all NINE of his B1G duals and his only losses this season was the closest match Martin has had this season and getting caught and pinned by Venz.  So he lost to the returning runner up and the guy he beat to take 3rd last season.  Using those results against Parker isn't all that fair considering Rasheed has ONLY wrestled 3 guys in the top 20(Colbray, Embree and McNally) with that last 2 BARELY being top 20.

So, yeah there is a pretty strong argument that Venz and Parker should be seeded over Rasheed based on how little he wrestled the last 2 months along with the fact that they both took 3rd and 4th respectively at 184 last season.

With all that said, I do think a healthy Rasheed would be a tough out for both.  But, I don't think he is healthy and I think that being represented by 2 matches in 2 months makes seeding him 2nd confusing.

You do realize that you can't take 7th place and only have been 1 point away from making the Final.  That comment would be reserved for those that lose in the semifinals.  Which guarantees you at least 6th.  Even then, 197 WAS relatively weak and that still holds true this season.

Venz is dangerous, but unorthodox and can take losses to guys that stay conventional.  Rasheed is anything but conventional.  A match between the 2 could go a myriad of ways.

As far as your Parker comment goes,  you realize he wrestled all NINE of his B1G duals and his only losses this season was the closest match Martin has had this season and getting caught and pinned by Venz.  So he lost to the returning runner up and the guy he beat to take 3rd last season.  Using those results against Parker isn't all that fair considering Rasheed has ONLY wrestled 3 guys in the top 20(Colbray, Embree and McNally) with that last 2 BARELY being top 20.

So, yeah there is a pretty strong argument that Venz and Parker should be seeded over Rasheed based on how little he wrestled the last 2 months along with the fact that they both took 3rd and 4th respectively at 184 last season.

With all that said, I do think a healthy Rasheed would be a tough out for both.  But, I don't think he is healthy and I think that being represented by 2 matches in 2 months makes seeding him 2nd confusing.

I’ll bet your posting privileges as well in a Shak/Venz match. Man up

As far as Parker. My point was he missed more matches than Shak. Kids can’t help what time of year they get hurt

5 minutes ago, pish6969 said:

I’ll bet your posting privileges as well in a Shak/Venz match. Man up

As far as Parker. My point was he missed more matches than Shak. Kids can’t help what time of year they get hurt

I am actually not a huge fan of Venz.  However, I will do a sig bet with you if Parker and Rasheed wrestle either at B1G's or NCAA's.

I am actually not a huge fan of Venz.  However, I will do a sig bet with you if Parker and Rasheed wrestle either at B1G's or NCAA's.

What’s a sig bet? And no..I will not bet anything with Parker as I think that would be a great match.

I feel Venz overrated not Parker

Just now, pish6969 said:

What’s a sig bet? And no..I will not bet anything with Parker as I think that would be a great match.

I feel Venz overrated not Parker

Sig bet would be adding a saying that would show at the bottom of all of your posts.  Something along the lines of "I am a PSU slappy with blinders on.  I THINK I know wrestling, but really, I ONLY benefit from being a fan of the best team with most of the best wrestlers."  For me, "I really don't know wrestling at all.  PSU, Pish and (insert here) have proven this."  or something along those lines........

Sig bet would be adding a saying that would show at the bottom of all of your posts.  Something along the lines of "I am a PSU slappy with blinders on.  I THINK I know wrestling, but really, I ONLY benefit from being a fan of the best team with most of the best wrestlers."  For me, "I really don't know wrestling at all.  PSU, Pish and (insert here) have proven this."  or something along those lines........

I like it. So do we have a bet Venz/Shak?

Just now, pish6969 said:

I like it. So do we have a bet Venz/Shak?

Lol, nice try.  As I said, I am not a big fan of Venz.  He IS dangerous, but spaghetti wrestling nearly always favors a PSU guy.  Remember, my argument hasn't been Venz beating Rasheed, it has been whether or not Rasheed deserves to be seeded over Venz and Parker.....