Sign in to follow this  
fadzaev2

Jordan Burroughs ....ambassador for our sport

I know this could easily go on the international wrestling forum, but to me, I think it belongs here just as easily.....it's about wrestling!!!  This morning as I prepare for my plane flight to Minneapolis, I was scrolling thru Flo, and something reminded me of an interview with Jordan Burroughs sometime back before the world championships......that's what it was Burroughs (Athlete of the Week) after winning at the Kolov and defeating Chamizo by a good margin....it made me think of Jordan this morning and went back and watched the interview again.  Wow.....over the past 55+ years I've always looked to great wrestlers and great coaches to help make me a better wrestler and even more so a better coach, as I spent a lot longer coaching than I did wrestling.  Over time, I built a huge library of super8 movie (in the beginning), then VHS, and now DVD of great wrestling and in some cases documentaries of great wrestlers and great coaches.  I also built a book library of great coaches, in order, again, to enhance my coaching.....and it didn't matter, in the case of books, what the sport was .......They Call Me Coach/John Wooden, Era of Ara/Parasegian, Bear/Bryant, Bo, You Win With People/Woody Hayes, The Legend of Dan Gable, Kings of the Mat/Yagla, and on and on.  That being said, I enjoyed so much Burroughs interview (coffee with J. Burroughs)  what an ambassador for our great sport.  Not only is a great athlete/wrestler.....he is so well spoken!!!  He's articulate, there's no hesitation, the answers/knowledge just flows so easily from him.  He speaks with so few interrupters.....he's a great speaker!!!!  What a role model and again what a great ambassador for our sport.  I wish him nothing but the best....in life, and in his quest to reach all of his goals.  Go Jordan Burroughs, GO U.S.A.

On another note.......what a great weekend of wrestling coming up....can't wait!!!

BURROUGHS

I remember early on after beat the streets he was interviewed and was kind of all over the place and inarticulate. It didn't take long until he made huge improvements there and was speaking in front of crowds. I am curious whether he just got better from more exposure or did he put in a ton of work in that area.  

Edited by russelscout

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I remember early on after beat the streets he was interviewed and was kind of all over the place and inarticulate. It didn't take long until he made huge improvements there and was speaking in front of crowds. I am curious whether he just got better from more exposure or did he put in a ton of work in that area.  

I can't answer that....I may have seen that interview???  But maybe it was just the circumstances.  The interview I'm in reference to was not impromptu....he was totally relaxed....his favorite coffee in hand...I do remember the beat the streets match, and it was a nailbiter.....not to mention dealing with the slippery mat....which is addressed in the "coffee" interview.  Maybe his mind was somewhere else then....not sure if he had just got off the mat...I don't think the skills he displayed in the coffee interview are something he could have acquired in that short amount of time....just my thoughts.  Fadz