Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

EIWA Tournament

2 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Just shows you how bad this 16 team tournament is. Army who lost to Wyoming by 20 is sending all 10 wrestlers to Quarterfinals. 

They lost by 18 in Laramie. Ever wonder why Wyoming wrestles a lot better and home than on the road? Wyoming lost to Fresno who lost to Bakersfield who, which isn't fully funded by the way, lost to Wyoming. With the exception of the Big Ten and a few random teams everybody in the country is pretty much on par.

52 minutes ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

The EIWA is down as a conference this year when compared to years past when it was a bit more talent-laden.  But let's be serious.  I don't think there are many physical education majors in the Ivy League or at Army, Navy, Lehigh, Bucknell, etc.  Also, which schools in the EIWA can give athletic scholarships for wrestling other than Lehigh?  If so, how many scholarships do they even award?  

The EIWA will never be the Big 10 for academic reasons and financial reasons.  

Lehigh, Hofstra, American, Drexel, Bucknell, Binghamton and maybe Sacred Heart do give scholarships. F&M are D3 in all else so they cant and Ivy and the service academies obviously no.

3 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Lehigh, Hofstra, American, Drexel, Bucknell, Binghamton and maybe Sacred Heart do give scholarships. F&M are D3 in all else so they cant and Ivy and the service academies obviously no.

Why is F&M D1 for wrestling then? I didn't realize wrestling was the exception

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Why is F&M D1 for wrestling then? I didn't realize wrestling was the 

In 1987 I believe the NCAA outlawed Division 1 schools from having some teams at the division 3 level. The University of Dayton and Davidson university are two that come to mind as they had division 3 football. Going the other direction though division 3 schools can compete up in division 2 or 1 but they still have to operate under the same guidelines as division 3 meaning no athletic scholarships.

7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Arujau is brutal. He is going to be tough at ncaa. 

Seeding really matters for him I think. He didn’t look great in his first match today against a guy who won’t qualify. 

I’m not worried about his first two matches, but Friday and sat morning might be tough for him. 

His performance today may be unrelated. This is speculation. He only ever cut weight for freestyle prior to this year.

2 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Seeding really matters for him I think. He didn’t look great in his first match today against a guy who won’t qualify. 

I’m not worried about his first two matches, but Friday and sat morning might be tough for him. 

His performance today may be unrelated. This is speculation. He only ever cut weight for freestyle prior to this year.

Could be. I did not see that match you are referring to. Every time I see him he's just torching somebody, like his win over Glory. 

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

In 1987 I believe the NCAA outlawed Division 1 schools from having some teams at the division 3 level. The University of Dayton and Davidson university are two that come to mind as they had division 3 football. Going the other direction though division 3 schools can compete up in division 2 or 1 but they still have to operate under the same guidelines as division 3 meaning no athletic scholarships.

Not entirely the case. Johns Hopkins lacrosse offers scholarships. There were a few schools grandfathered in with the scholarships thing. Colorado College in ice hockey is another. 

6 minutes ago, red blades said:

At the end of session 2:

Lehigh 85 (6,3)

Cornell 82 (6,2)

Princeton 82 (6,2)

Army 78 (6,4)

Pretty good tournament!  We'll see more separation after Semis, I expect...

So you're suggesting that Lehigh will extend its lead after the SF round?

12 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

So you're suggesting that Lehigh will extend its lead after the SF round?

I said nothing about direction - only that the top 4 will not be as close. And I do think it'll be a dogfight between Cornell and Lehigh into the finals.

Lehigh and Cornell are wrestling pretty much up to seed, maybe dropping a few lower seeded spots.  Army's lower seeds are exceeding expectations.  Princeton also, to a lesser extent.

The really cool thing, IMO, is that it is still a 4 team race at this point, not just a 2 team race.

Still a lot of wrestling left, though.

Edited by red blades

3 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Not entirely the case. Johns Hopkins lacrosse offers scholarships. There were a few schools grandfathered in with the scholarships thing. Colorado College in ice hockey is another. 

Thanks, I didn't even think about some of the ones that were grandfathered in and I knew about Johns Hopkins and just spaced it out. Back in those days all I knew about was football and both Dayton & Davidson had recently dropped down to division 3 and walked through the National Tournament. Lot of guys on the team who were late in their careers just finished out their schooling their rather than transfer. I might try and go back and look at the rules and see exactly what they are.

5 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Could be. I did not see that match you are referring to. Every time I see him he's just torching somebody, like his win over Glory. 

The Arujau that wrestled vs glory is a title threat. 

Seeding really matters. If Arujau runs into Spencer Lee, it is going to be a thing. If Arujau can not give up a takedown in the first, his pace will wear Spencer down during the 2nd. Arujau will have som trouble on. Ottom bs Spencer. He is a freshman and doesn’t have the strength to deal with fresh Spencer on top. Avoiding a takedown early is key. 

I might pick honcho straight up vs Rivera, but I’ve never been that high on Rivera and don’t really get it

4 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

So here's what I found out if anybody cares. There's about 90 division 2 schools that compete up in division 1 and about 75 division 3 in various sports. Incidentally the four Pennsylvania schools that are part of the ewl are division 2 and Franklin & Marshall is division 3. In 75 when the NCAA went to the three division format, five division 3 schools were grandfathered in to that specific sport since it was already Division 1 with the caveat that they offer a women's sport in division one as well. Those are Colorado College, Clarkson, St Lawrence and RPI all in men's hockey and they all offer women's hockey at the division 1 level and Johns Hopkins men's lacrosse and women's. Incidentally there are some division 3 and division 2 programs that compete up because the only Championship offered is in division 1.

Lehigh's 165 lbr. pretty much gave the tournament away.  Have never seen worse wrestling from neutral simply letting Army in on BOTH legs at will.  It's on Flo you won't believe your eyes.  Junior high school stuff.

19 hours ago, NJDan said:

Flo is horrible. One still camera shooting very wide. One announcer for four mats. Stream keeps cutting out.

The camera work was better in the quarters.  But still just one mat of four has an announcer.

18 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

The EIWA is horrible. Half the teams wouldn't be in the USA top 25 for High Schools. The fan support is nowhere. Sacred Heart  would have a hard time placing in the PA middle school tournament. Hofstra is fully funded and just pathetic from where they were years ago. Franklin and Marshall and Harvard can combine their teams and probably wouldn't score more then 10 team points. Army and Navy are at a all-time low. Tournament stinks! 

It's hard to dispute Move's point about fan support. The place is empty and quiet. The reason may be streaming. I personally was thinking of going. It would ave been hard and I would have had to drive three hours. That I could see it from my home was a reason to not go. 

It is odd how bad Harvard is this year. Penn is also really bad. OTOH Army is doing well and Princeton has had a great year.

What Sacred Heart is doing is a mystery. Why be in the EIWA at all if they cannot win a match. I checked the school's website and it says they are D1 in sports.  That's surprising. In wrestling at least, don't they belong in D3? 

20 minutes ago, NJDan said:

It's hard to dispute Move's point about fan support. The place is empty and quiet. The reason may be streaming. I personally was thinking of going. It would ave been hard and I would have had to drive three hours. That I could see it from my home was a reason to not go. 

It is odd how bad Harvard is this year. Penn is also really bad. OTOH Army is doing well and Princeton has had a great year.

What Sacred Heart is doing is a mystery. Why be in the EIWA at all if they cannot win a match. I checked the school's website and it says they are D1 in sports.  That's surprising. In wrestling at least, don't they belong in D3?  

You guys want a little cheese with that whine?

Maybe you would prefer each year that the bottom placing team should be kicked out of the league? 

Sacred Heart is, I believe, the only D1 Catholic School with wrestling. So With Bergen Cath, St Eds, Beca, Montini, Calvary Chapel, why aren't they the strongest team in the nation? Could it be that the kids are going to those schools for something other than the value of the Education?

still, Sacred Heart has 33 varsity sports, more than twice some P5. They have had some success in football in recent years   

25 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

EIWA attendance goes down every year. Used to have a lot of interest now it's pretty dismal.

I believe Philly (Penn), Lehigh (Bethlehem), even F&M, Hofstra, are all better locations - much closer to the metro area.  Vestal is a bit more of a hike.

I had planned to drive up today, but too many things going on with the kids.

Lehigh fans are all retirees and empty nesters - they have the time to travel, only thing is they are all in bed by 8:00. :-P

Edited by red blades

9 hours ago, Housebuye said:

The Arujau that wrestled vs glory is a title threat. 

Seeding really matters. If Arujau runs into Spencer Lee, it is going to be a thing. If Arujau can not give up a takedown in the first, his pace will wear Spencer down during the 2nd. Arujau will have som trouble on. Ottom bs Spencer. He is a freshman and doesn’t have the strength to deal with fresh Spencer on top. Avoiding a takedown early is key. 

I might pick honcho straight up vs Rivera, but I’ve never been that high on Rivera and don’t really get it

"The Arujau that wrestled vs glory is a title threat. "

I thought the same thing to myself after he dismantled that Cambell kid from Bucknell. If he meets Glory in the finals and beats him as decisively as in their first match, I agree – he will indeed be a title threat.