Sign in to follow this  
Coach_J

US World Cup Team Selection

Not really sure what to make of this selection.  I can see if we are resting our number 1's, but what was the purpose in some of these choices?  I guess I feel Russia's #3's will destroy this group.

57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Zach Sanders, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Zane Richards, Champaign, Ill. (Titan Mercury WC/Illinois RTC)
61 kg/134 lbs. – Nico Megaludis, Pittsburgh, Pa. (Titan Mercury WC/Pittsburgh WC)
65 kg/143 lbs. – Zain Retherford, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
70 kg/154 lbs. – Jason Chamberlain, Fresno, Calif. (Titan Mercury WC/Valley RTC)
74 kg/163 lbs. – Isaiah Martinez, Champaign, Ill. (Titan Mercury WC/Illinois RTC)
79 kg/174 lbs. – Tommy Gantt, Raleigh, N.C. (Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC)
86 kg/189 lbs. – Sammy Brooks, Iowa City, Iowa (New York AC/Hawkeye WC)
92 kg/202 lbs. – Hayden Zillmer, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
97 kg/213 lbs. – Kyven Gadson, Ames, Iowa (Sunkist Kids/Cyclone RTC)
125 kg/275 lbs. – Tony Nelson, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/March/08/USA-Freestyle-World-Cup-team-announced

Not really sure what to make of this selection.  I can see if we are resting our number 1's, but what was the purpose in some of these choices?  I guess I feel Russia's #3's will destroy this group.
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Zach Sanders, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Zane Richards, Champaign, Ill. (Titan Mercury WC/Illinois RTC)
61 kg/134 lbs. – Nico Megaludis, Pittsburgh, Pa. (Titan Mercury WC/Pittsburgh WC)
65 kg/143 lbs. – Zain Retherford, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
70 kg/154 lbs. – Jason Chamberlain, Fresno, Calif. (Titan Mercury WC/Valley RTC)
74 kg/163 lbs. – Isaiah Martinez, Champaign, Ill. (Titan Mercury WC/Illinois RTC)
79 kg/174 lbs. – Tommy Gantt, Raleigh, N.C. (Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC)
86 kg/189 lbs. – Sammy Brooks, Iowa City, Iowa (New York AC/Hawkeye WC)
92 kg/202 lbs. – Hayden Zillmer, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
97 kg/213 lbs. – Kyven Gadson, Ames, Iowa (Sunkist Kids/Cyclone RTC)
125 kg/275 lbs. – Tony Nelson, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/March/08/USA-Freestyle-World-Cup-team-announced
The US has complained that the Russians send their sub A team to the world cup.

Then we turn around to do the same thing.

How does this help USA Wrestling?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, I would've liked to see Gilman, and Colon make this trip. I think for Gilman, it would give him a chance to get the one and done at the Dan Kolov, off his mind. As for Colon, I think having another four matches would help him to continue to progress. 

The Russians use the World Cup for their #2 and #3 guys, plus up and comers with potential for 3-4 years down the line becoming #1.  I understand a number of Americans that fit that MO are in college right now, but I don't see the developmental point beyond a couple of these selections.

Well it looks like we are kind of doing the same thing as the Russians by not sending our numbers ones. But I kind of like the fact that we are giving a lot of our guys who are a little lower on our ladder the chance to represent the good ole USA. My hope is to see all of our guys do great at this event, but I am particularly interested in seeing how Nico and Zain train do. Mainly because in my opinion that they probably have the greatest chance of becoming our number ones at some point here in the not too distant future. 

The main reason is that this event was too close to the Kolov, which was a ranking/seedings event.  Most of our studs went there.  Too hard to travel internationally, weigh in twice, etc in a such a short period of time.  And if you had to pick which event, Kolov was the right choice for our better guys. 

13 hours ago, Gantry said:

The main reason is that this event was too close to the Kolov, which was a ranking/seedings event.  Most of our studs went there.  Too hard to travel internationally, weigh in twice, etc in a such a short period of time.  And if you had to pick which event, Kolov was the right choice for our better guys. 

Sadly this is the logic.  Wish they would space these events out better. So out top guys can compete in both.   The World Cup loses a lot of value if the match-up for it don’t help the athletes gain any position in the seed rankings for worlds.  I think we will see a lot more country begin to save some top athletes from the World Cup, especially if other events that count are close to it.