gowrestle

What happened to Micic?

I think this is a very serious and real question in a weight class that is beyond stacked.  Micic may have not only just forfeited his Big Ten Title, but potentially the National Championship.  I can't see how he can still maintain the #1 seed, and his path is gonna get a whole lot harder now.

I kind of hope Pletcher wins today to throw a real wrench into the national seedings. 

The worst part about Micic MFFT out of the tournament (if it was for seed preservation) is that it puts an invisible asterisk next to the name of whomever wins 133, like they didn’t beat the best in the weight bc he dropped so it doesn’t mean as much. I mean I’m sure it doesn’t matter to Suriano or Pletcher since it’s out of their control and a title is a title, but what a letdown for the fans. I guess it will all get sorted out at NCAAs.

This would be more concerning if there was clear separation between the top 4-8 guys. Because 133 is so stacked and the talent gap so narrow, I'm not as worried - we'll get two top guys in the championships no matter how this gets seeded.

If Micic's knee is as bad as feared and it will impact his wrestling potential, then he really shouldn't be the #1 seed anyways.

47 minutes ago, pamela said:

I kind of hope Pletcher wins today to throw a real wrench into the national seedings. 

The worst part about Micic MFFT out of the tournament (if it was for seed preservation)

Here's the thing - if it was for seed preservation, he would have wrestled Pletcher.  He has dominated him since that Vegas loss well over a year ago and nearly teched him this year.  If he's healthy he would have wrestled him, it makes zero sense to take 3 forefits instead of beating Pletcher and forefitting once.   He got to the semis to qualify, which means he's injured with something.

Or to put it another way - the odds of Pletcher beating a healthy Micic yesterday are WAY lower than the odds of Micic losing his #1 seed because of 3 forefits at Big Tens.  For seed preservation, it makes zero sense.  Michigan isn't stupid, this wasn't for seed purposes. 

23 minutes ago, rhodge00 said:

I watched is quarter final match and he had a big knee brace on, not sure if he had it before.

It wasn't.

The one thing he does have going for him is it is his trail leg. 

Tough to win that weight on one leg.  Especially with the quality near the top.  Fix should be the favorite now. 

26 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

Fix 1, Suriano 2 and Micic 3.  Desanto 4 if he gets 3rd in big 10s.   5-ií will be pletcher, rby, philppi and lizak in no particular order so his punishment will be facing suriano in the semis

Who has phillipi lost to this year?  He just beat Tariq in the finals, beat fix, beat pletcher, beat lizak.  I don't have it all laid out in front of me, but in my mind he's probably the #1 seed with fix the #2

3 minutes ago, lost said:

Who has phillipi lost to this year?  He just beat Tariq in the finals, beat fix, beat pletcher, beat lizak.  I don't have it all laid out in front of me, but in my mind he's probably the #1 seed with fix the #2

korbin myers

4 minutes ago, lost said:

Suriano majored Phillipi and Korbin Meyers beat him too.

Maybe 1)Fix 2) Suriano 3) Phillipi 4) Micic 5)Desanto 6)Pletcher

Edited by jsmalls131313

Sorry-ano and Korbin Myers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

Suriano majored Phillipi and Korbin Meyers beat him too.

Maybe 1)Fix 2) Suriano 3) Phillipi 4) Micic 5)Desanto 6)Pletcher

I have Suriano higher than him (?), and I also have Suriano as 2 and I have Philippi lower than you do. 

I think putting Micic as 4 is a punishment for Fix as well, so I think he just goes 3

17 minutes ago, smitty11 said:

Micic is hurt.  Doubt he will be 50 percent in 2 weeks.  Crazy how him and gross are both hurt really made that weight class wide open

So this is something new/different than why he skipped Cliff Keen?