Sign in to follow this  
LoStNuMbEr

Logan Storley

Has there ever been a more ridiculous resume as a #6 seed? I'm not necessarily bashing the seeding committee for his low seed, as he did stink it up at B10s, but man is his resume good.

He has wins over the #1, #2, #3, #4, #7 and #8 seeds... And only three losses

When has someone ever put together numbers like that and entered NCAAS as low as 6th? Storley might have the most top 10 wins of any wrestler in the country

Everybody in that weight has to earn it, even more so for Storley now. Many still picking him, but Brown looks like a different guy out there right now. Will be THE weight, with 125 close behind.

As a Hawkeye fan I don't like that Evans has Storley in the quarters. I know he can beat Brown, but Storley I'm not so sure.

Not arguing, but Brown has wrestled Evans for 14 minutes. He wrestled better for 13.5 of those imo. A good game plan can pull it off sure, but it's hardly a sure thing.

Evans has split with him, so naturally I would feel better about Brown than Storley. That was a nice pancake but saying that he out wrestled Evans for 13.5 out of 14 minutes is just silly. Even the match he lost, Evans was ahead by 1 due to Browns sock pulling, before the pancake. Brown just went into defensive mode after that.

So what? If he wrestles better than the rest of the guys he'll win anyway, right? I think part of the seeding has to reward consistency. Storley is a helluva wrestler, no doubt, but the fact he stunk it up at Big 10's sure as hell doesn't say much for his consistency.

When you think about it seeding is pretty ridiculous. If the top seeds are so good, why do they need the easiest possible path to the finals?

So what? If he wrestles better than the rest of the guys he'll win anyway, right? I think part of the seeding has to reward consistency. Storley is a helluva wrestler, no doubt, but the fact he stunk it up at Big 10's sure as hell doesn't say much for his consistency.

When you think about it seeding is pretty ridiculous. If the top seeds are so good, why do they need the easiest possible path to the finals?

Its not that they need the easy path, its to avoid having the best guys meet early so we get a more accurate set of placements and so that the fans get to see the best wrestlers wrestle in the finals. Imagine if we did a completely random draw and the first round bouts ended up with #1 vs #2 and #3 vs #4

The #4 guy could end up 0-2 at the NCAA tournament while wrestling to his ranking, because he lost to the #3 first round and the #2 in the wrestlebacks.

As far as Storley in particular, I dont think your argument for consistency holds any water at all. Not only has he beaten most of the guys ahead of him directly, but he has fewer losses overall then the #2 and #3 seeds, and all of his losses are to ranked wrestlers.

This never happens, last year Asper was undefeated, lost to #12 Peter Yates and dropped from 2 to 7th seed

so Storley dropping 5 spots after lossing to #12 and #9 is not surprising. But I still think he should have been seeded 4th.

Its not that they need the easy path, its to avoid having the best guys meet early so we get a more accurate set of placements and so that the fans get to see the best wrestlers wrestle in the finals. Imagine if we did a completely random draw and the first round bouts ended up with #1 vs #2 and #3 vs #4

The #4 guy could end up 0-2 at the NCAA tournament while wrestling to his ranking, because he lost to the #3 first round and the #2 in the wrestlebacks.

As far as Storley in particular, I dont think your argument for consistency holds any water at all. Not only has he beaten most of the guys ahead of him directly, but he has fewer losses overall then the #2 and #3 seeds, and all of his losses are to ranked wrestlers.

I understand what you are saying about accurate placements and seeing the best finals and I do agree. But I don't get the heartburn with a #6 seed for a guy that finished only 7th in his conference. Granted it was Big 10, but still that was a pretty bad performance last week by Storley. Storley was probably a lock for #1 seed before the Big10s (assuming he didn't crash and burn), but assuming a "best case " scenario of 2 or 3 seed after finishing 7th he'd still end up with a tougher route to the finals than Perry.

One of the biggest tournaments in Oklahoma is the Geary tournament. There are teams from all the state's classes at the tournament, and there is NO SEEDING AT ALL. NONE. Many times the two best wrestlers met in the first round. I swear I've seen years when the top or bottom half of the bracket had all the toughest wrestlers! So if you aren't the first or second best, there is no guarantee you'll place at all!

I get the reason why. He faltered inthe biggest event to date. If he does that at NCAAs then he will not even AA. The real story here is Perry's draw. Perry has already called all his freinds and given them finals tickets.

Don't bet on it

Haven't made my picks for 174 yet, but as of now, I'm still planning on betting on Storley. What happened at Big 10's was as flukish as flukish gets.

(And, by the way, "flukish" is my favorite Norwegian pastry. Only Minnesotans and Wisconsinites will get that one, I'm guessing).