TBar1977

Big Ten Finals Thread

59 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

The Bull beat a 2X NC champ. He was MVP for that reason alone.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Let’s see if he can do it again? When the pressure is on him

35 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Ditto. Guessing this was Cael's decision to not give MyMar a look at Rasheed until NCAA and I understand the logic behind it. Still, its a very bad look for wrestling in general especially on national TV. As someone else said...not good for the sport. I can only imagine someone not too familiar with the sport tuning in to the BTN and saying...WTF??

As any sycophantic PSU fan will tell you, Cael doesn't get paid to worry about what's good for the sport.  Since when has he ever given a damn about the sport in general? What is best for his team is his only concern and he makes it abundantly clear every year.  To his credit, he's pretty dang good at his job.

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

It's hard out there for a heavy weight. When I was coaching and OW was voted on by coaches, everyone always had their ballots in before the last match.

On matter of principle, I refused to fill out my ballot before heavyweight.  One year at the state tournament, I filled it out immediately after the match ended.  I fast walked to the head table., probably 20 yards away.  MOW was announced before I got there.

2 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

On matter of principle, I refused to fill out my ballot before heavyweight.  One year at the state tournament, I filled it out immediately after the match ended.  I fast walked to the head table., probably 20 yards away.  MOW was announced before I got there.

Well atleast you tried. I never understood the hurry to get the MOW in, but I think most of the time as far as coaches go, they don't see all the matches and pretty much have their mind made up before the finals, unless something crazy happens. 

Just now, russelscout said:

Well atleast you tried. I never understood the hurry to get the MOW in, but I think most of the time as far as coaches go, they don't see all the matches and pretty much have their mind made up before the finals, unless something crazy happens. 

I remember Steve Mocco had never won an OW despite being an all-time great.  That definitely influenced me.

Marinelli wasn't MVP, it was the BTN award (although my understanding is that Marinelli and Nolf shared the MOW award).  They award it early probably because they go off the air pretty quickly after the end of the last match, so their sponsors are going to want that air time.  They also gave Rivera the "takedown of the meet" some time in the middle of 174, if I remember correctly.

49 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

As any sycophantic PSU fan will tell you, Cael doesn't get paid to worry about what's good for the sport.  Since when has he ever given a damn about the sport in general? What is best for his team is his only concern and he makes it abundantly clear every year.  To his credit, he's pretty dang good at his job.

We put titles on mantels, that’s what he gets paid for. He knows that’s the deal with arguably the best wrestling state of the union at his beckoning. Kind of like Gable in the 80’s and 90’s

5 minutes ago, LLB said:

We put titles on mantels, that’s what he gets paid for. He knows that’s the deal with arguably the best wrestling state of the union at his beckoning. Kind of like Gable in the 80’s and 90’s

I don't remember Gable sitting guys in the BIG10 finals and he never would have killed national duals. 

4 hours ago, russelscout said:

Appearantly for NWestern too. You seriously have to turn everything into anti-Iowa?

He is right up there as the most miserable DBs to ever post on here. Every other word is anti Iowa, it's pathological. Hard to image what kind of lowly depraved person it takes to spend that much time bad mouthing any topic let alone a college wrestling team.

3 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

This is bad. Bad for the sport to have these forfeits. We need to see our athletes compete. 

Finally somebody said it. I'm tired of hearing about we've got a plan, people ducking people and everything else. This sport is dying for exposure and more interest and whether you got a ****ing plan or not sitting star wrestlers is bad for the sport. I don't care if you win a hundred national championships if they don't wrestle it's bad for the sport whether it is Penn State, Iowa, American University or Clackamas JC.

3 hours ago, buckshot1969 said:

I'm not sure it counts as a duck if you are wrestling somebody ranked ahead of you. It's only ducking when you're trying to protect your seed, if anything Shak hurt himself by not wrestling if he's healthy.

It's a duck if you think avoiding the match until later can give a strategic advantage.

3 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Ditto. Guessing this was Cael's decision to not give MyMar a look at Rasheed until NCAA and I understand the logic behind it. Still, its a very bad look for wrestling in general especially on national TV. As someone else said...not good for the sport. I can only imagine someone not too familiar with the sport tuning in to the BTN and saying...WTF??

I don’t think not seeing Shak  will make a difference for MyMar. Moore whooped him last year at Nationals and MyMar is on a way different wrestling plane than his teammate Moore. I would tend to lean on the notion of protecting him from more injury going into Nationals.

7 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Oh, ok. Huge difference being down 10-0 and tied 4-4 with a minute to go.

I agree big difference - Jordan is really good as Ashnault eluded to in the post match interview.
What Ashnault has shown this year is wrestling smarter late in tight matches , matches that he lost in the past.  He is from my high school so I have been following him since middle school and he is a noticeably different wrestler this year.  I remember J Rob saying something to the effect of, "Damion has to learn how to win" after Hahn was losing close matches and placed fifth - I think AA has learned "how to win".