Sign in to follow this  
jchapman

Jimmy Kennedy MOW

46 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Plus the OT take down reaction from Kennedy and fellow asst. coaches. You can see it in the background. Go rewatch that. Priceless. 

yep, world class  "in your face" gesturing from Brewer, in the direction of the Iowa corner/ Terry Brands & Morningstar. a classic example of being forced to "take it" after having "dished it out". love it

Edited by gromit

Wrestling is an incredibly emotional sport, but coaches at the college level should not act like that. If i were the AD at Northwestern, I would speak to Stornlio about his assistants. Direct your passion and emotion at your athlete, not the opposing coaches or athletes. This comes with experience and maturity. 

3 hours ago, Cradle1969 said:

Wrestling is an incredibly emotional sport, but coaches at the college level should not act like that. If i were the AD at Northwestern, I would speak to Stornlio about his assistants. Direct your passion and emotion at your athlete, not the opposing coaches or athletes. This comes with experience and maturity. 

I did see the "1st part" where the Iowa coaches acted with 'passion and emotion' directed toward the NW coaches before that was reciprocated.

I've got no dog in the fight here. It did seem to me that this was a 50/50 deal as far as coaches were concerned. Maybe both Brands and Storniolo need to be spoken to?

I saw Terry walking in the hallway after losing 125 and 133 and he looked like a broken man. I am not a doctor but he did not look healthy. For someone who clearly pours every ounce of emotional energy into this sport, it is amazing he can keep coaching year after year. Other coaches (including his brother) seem to be able to compartmentalize a match our tournament, but he seems to add every loss into his own pack of burdens.

1 hour ago, Ching said:

I saw Terry walking in the hallway after losing 125 and 133 and he looked like a broken man. I am not a doctor but he did not look healthy. For someone who clearly pours every ounce of emotional energy into this sport, it is amazing he can keep coaching year after year. Other coaches (including his brother) seem to be able to compartmentalize a match our tournament, but he seems to add every loss into his own pack of burdens.

Poor Terry...

worlds-smallest-violin.jpg

1 minute ago, Perry said:

There's a reason the Iowa corner receives the grief they do from other coaches and athletes, their consistent behavior brings it on themselves

Yes, and this forum is a perfect example of how Iowa gets treated solely because they deserve it. It couldn't be because of a bias and hatred for Iowa no matter what they do. Perry, I don't even know what team you support. I only know you don't like the hawks. 

I don't have a team, I only have athletes I like and support. I love marinelli for example, big fan of his despite him being a hawk and me being a "hater". I don't like a lot of what I see from iowa and call them out for it. I do the same for Rutgers and others who are out of line. 

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Didn't 2 or 3 wrestlers give the Brands Bros. some grief at last year's NCAA's? I am think maybe Logan Massa was one of them. 

It was at BIGs last season after he upset Marinelli

maxresdefault.jpg

38 minutes ago, Perry said:

There's a reason the Iowa corner receives the grief they do from other coaches and athletes, their consistent behavior brings it on themselves

That stuff is all sideshow fun. It only hurts the delicate sensibilities of forum posters. I'm sure the coaches are all big boys and can handle a little taunting now and then.

20 hours ago, Perry said:

AMEN!!!

I almost wonder if some of todays college athletes think it is cool or it shows how much you care to get emotional after a win or loss. 10 years ago I feel like it wasn't a thing, and the Metcalf push was the worst thing out there. IMO it was only that bad because Caldwell was mid flip and could have been hurt. I also wonder if the opportunity for exposure gets in these wrestlers minds as well. You have Flo hyping and broadcasting matches, which I am thankful for but now you have thousands plus watching online rather than just a few thousand in the arena. Ultimately it falls on the coaches and athletes to learn how to control this. It may simply just be a negative side affect of being in a brawl for 7 minutes. I know there were probably more than just Metcalf a decade ago, but it seems like the past few years the post match antics have been more prevalent.