Jimmy Cinnabon

Joseph just got dominated

14 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Just watched this match on youtube. The 6 point move wasn't one of those 50-50 positions. It was a nice little duck under to a body lock. Joseph kind of made an attempt to overhook and inside trip, but it was far too late. Against any other wrestler, Joseph may have been able to muscle through that, but Marinelli had him dead to rights. The second takedown was an ill-advised inside trip attempt by Joseph that Marinelli looked to be sitting on and countered nicely. Marinelli controlled every aspect of that match, so if it wasn't a domination, it was damn close.

Marinelli could prove to be a matchup problem because he seems pretty good about avoiding those upper body ties (whereas Imar lived in those spots) and stays in great position. That said, Joseph is more than capable of making the adjustments needed to win that match, and I hope we see it at NCAAs. It's good for wrestling to have a rivalry like this. Other guys could throw a wrench in a rematch though, like Wick, who is a still tough matchup for Marinelli.

I wonder if Joseph can make the adjustment in that position though. You know the inside trip attempt is coming every time, it's almost automatic like the way he likes to reach around and over when a guy is on top or behind him. I think it'll be a tough habit for him to break - he caught IMart with that trip twice but that doesn't mean it'll work on guys like Marinelli or Marsteller.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:19 AM, russelscout said:

And yet no one on this site says anything about Sandusky. Well maybe sometimes, but they are few and far between. The ones who do are blockheads, so I don't know why you are taking that out on Iowa fans. 

I don't know what its like to go from average to perennial power, but I do know what its like having a team thats a perennial power and now is on the outside looking in. I was born when Iowa was in the middle of the 9 title streak. I knew nothing but dominance from them pretty much my whole childhood.  When they started losing titles in the 2000's it sucked. Brands came along and I thought back to the same ole things, but it ended with Caels dominance. It fricken sucks. It sucks even worse when you 75% of the community here gets off on it every time you lose,  gets called for stalling, or does anything that could be brought up as a slight against your teams culture.

I'll tell you why people love knocking the Hawkeyes and their fans: because many Hawkeye fans were absolutely unbearable in the late 70's/early 80's. I'm sure most of them were just like any other fan, but there was a huge contingent of entitled, smug jackasses in the Iowa ranks once Gable's machine had been dominating for awhile. Just like any other "top dog" they attracted bandwagon fans the way dogs attract fleas. I betcha a lot of the ill will towards the Hawkeyes comes from that era. When the Hawkeyes domination came crashing down, it was time for some PAYBACK (talking about the anti-Hawkeye people, not me).

Regarding myself, I started wrestling right about the time Gable became the head coach at Iowa (1975 I believe). I couldn't bring myself to hate the Hawkeyes, although I disliked Gable after seeing his antics at a couple OSU/Iowa matches.

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I'll tell you why people love knocking the Hawkeyes and their fans: because many Hawkeye fans were absolutely unbearable in the late 70's/early 80's. I'm sure most of them were just like any other fan, but there was a huge contingent of entitled, smug jackasses in the Iowa ranks once Gable's machine had been dominating for awhile. Just like any other "top dog" they attracted bandwagon fans the way dogs attract fleas. I betcha a lot of the ill will towards the Hawkeyes comes from that era. When the Hawkeyes domination came crashing down, it was time for some PAYBACK (talking about the anti-Hawkeye people, not me).

Regarding myself, I started wrestling right about the time Gable became the head coach at Iowa (1975 I believe). I couldn't bring myself to hate the Hawkeyes, although I disliked Gable after seeing his antics at a couple OSU/Iowa matches.

What were the forums like in the 70s and 80s? Was it done through mail? Smoke signals? I would think after a couple days wait to a response the sting wouldn't be as harsh.

6 minutes ago, russelscout said:

What were the forums like in the 70s and 80s? Was it done through mail? Smoke signals? I would think after a couple days wait to a response the sting wouldn't be as harsh.

Ticker tape, usually. Also we had things called "newspapers" back in those days....

Edited by TobusRex

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Point being, how many times were you actually running in to these insufferable Hawk fans a year? Once? 4 times at max if you went to a dual, Midlands, BIG10s, and Nattys?

Myself? Once a year, MAYBE. I was a kid and couldn't drive, so I could only attend the matches when Iowa came down to wrestle in Oklahoma. We only lived 35 miles from Stoolwater so usually it was to go to Iowa/OSU matches.  I didn't think the Hawkeye fans were any more annoying than the OSU fans, frankly (and possibly even less annoying than Cowboy fans, but I digress), but I remember all the adults around me in the stands (OSU fans, all) complaining about what johnny-come-lately dirtbags the Hawkeyes fans were, lol. "We never saw so many of them until they started winning titles" was a common refrain :D

Marinelli did dominate the match on Sunday.

But myself and a couple others that were watching all said that we would take Joseph in 2 weeks.

I will be pulling for the Bull but, will be picking Joseph as my champ in the pick'em contest.

10 hours ago, pamela said:

I wonder if Joseph can make the adjustment in that position though. You know the inside trip attempt is coming every time, it's almost automatic like the way he likes to reach around and over when a guy is on top or behind him. I think it'll be a tough habit for him to break - he caught IMart with that trip twice but that doesn't mean it'll work on guys like Marinelli or Marsteller.

Cenzo just needs to go to school on some Ian Miller 

My least favorite argument is "if wrestler A doesn't get "insert point amount" wrestler B loses". Obviously there is some truth to this because at the end of the day it is the number of points on the board that decide it, (minus a pin down 14-0). I also feel like trying to use this takes away the beauty of the sport. At any point guys can come up with some magic and big scoring opportunities. It is fine to say something was the difference maker, but Marinelli still dominated that match. He won the position that created the points, and his neutral defense is so good Cenzo knew he had to spend the rest of the match going for big points.

23 minutes ago, gopher_fan_90 said:

My least favorite argument is "if wrestler A doesn't get "insert point amount" wrestler B loses". Obviously there is some truth to this because at the end of the day it is the number of points on the board that decide it, (minus a pin down 14-0). I also feel like trying to use this takes away the beauty of the sport. At any point guys can come up with some magic and big scoring opportunities. It is fine to say something was the difference maker, but Marinelli still dominated that match. He won the position that created the points, and his neutral defense is so good Cenzo knew he had to spend the rest of the match going for big points.

Marinelli is really the only guy to be able to beat Cenzo in that position. That should be celebrated, not used as an excuse for Joseph.

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

Marinelli rattled him badly by getting to his leg a bunch of times. 

This actually baffled me. I couldn't believe the ease at which he got to Josephs legs. I think at the NCAA's he needs to finish on the legs though which I don't think he has been able to do. I don't see Joseph giving up points in that body lock position. Having said that, Joseph only got to the legs once and Marinelli was able to get out of that. 

11 minutes ago, russelscout said:

This actually baffled me. I couldn't believe the ease at which he got to Josephs legs. I think at the NCAA's he needs to finish on the legs though which I don't think he has been able to do. I don't see Joseph giving up points in that body lock position. Having said that, Joseph only got to the legs once and Marinelli was able to get out of that. 

His panic was evident by his hand flapping...he really had no answer for Marinelli.

Joseph lost this match at the hand fight.  Marinelli uses his right hand as a war club.  Cenzo can't win by matching collar ties - Marinelli wins this position.  Cenzo was fixated matching the power on the tie and it plays into Marinelli's game.  Most of Marinelli's arsenal is from the collar tie - ducks (not the missing match kind), elbow posts and shot, and so forth. But he can't just back away from it because that invites stalling.  His window for winning is small unless he can avoid the club.  Maybe try shrugs, russian ties, circle to the right always etc.  Avoid collar ties.  If Joseph can do these things the match becomes a toss-up.  What'da'ya think?  What would you try?

Edited by sherwoodpeters

On March 10, 2019 at 9:03 PM, portajohn said:

I'll speak for LLB.  It was rough.  To us PA guys it was probably similar to being a football fan from Florida prior to the rise of Univ of Miami in the 80's.  We knew all the talent was here but didn't know how to harness it.  We rooted for PA kids in general.  Didn't matter if they went to PSU, Lehigh, Lock Haven, etc.  Years ago Nolf, Retherford, Cenzo, Ruth, Megaludis, etc wouldn't have stayed in state.  Enjoying the ride.   

I agree with your first couple sentences but not your comment about the kids who wouldn't stay in state.  Most of the top Pa wrestlers stayed in state.  I can almost guarantee that alot of those guys you mention above  would have been in state.  It's been a transfer of power in our state but PSU was always good, just not Cael good.  Also, the other Pa schools were very good then which drew a few kids away from PSU.  

A difference to me is Cael is getting kids from out of state and other than NJ/NY, PSU has not done that in the past.

Edited by pennsyrules