Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

The Heavyweight Match was Weird

For long stretches neither guy even pretended to be going for a takedown. Neither guy made any attempt to ride (until the last 20 seconds). Gibbons kept sayin they looked "disinterested." Assuming he meant "uninterested," that seems right.

Also, I was surprised to see that Gable had just seven major decisions. I know it's hard to score a lot at heavy, but that's a low number for a gut who's undefeated. Maybe he's really just not in shape. Cassar certainly is.

Just now, NJDan said:

For long stretches neither guy even pretended to be going for a takedown. Neither guy made any attempt to ride (until the last 20 seconds). Gibbons kept sayin they looked "disinterested." Assuming he meant "uninterested," that seems right.

Also, I was surprised to see that Gable had just seven major decisions. I know it's hard to score a lot at heavy, but that's a low number for a gut who's undefeated. Maybe he's really just not in shape. Cassar certainly is.

I think he's just not interested in scoring more than he has to.  He gets a lead and then would rather dance then keep scoring doubles on large men who block off and back up.  I wouldn't love that as his coach, but I kind of get it.  

1 minute ago, simple said:

7 majors, 7 techs, 4 pins.

Both looked like they were just waiting for the other guy to do something for the first 5-6 minutes. 

Oh, I guess the BTN graphics guys messed that up. 

3 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I think he's just not interested in scoring more than he has to.  He gets a lead and then would rather dance then keep scoring doubles on large men who block off and back up.  I wouldn't love that as his coach, but I kind of get it.  

I would get it if the lead was 3 or 5. But not if it's 1.

17 minutes ago, skikayaker said:

I heard Cassar say in a video that shots, and defenses were not being interpreted by the video feed properly and that there was a lot going on in that match than meets the eye, or camera.

What?

7 hours ago, NJDan said:

It is fine to use disinterested in that context.

1 hour ago, Coach_J said:

Prototype heavyweight chess match--make no mistakes, save it up for one big go, try to win by one.  Both men will need to make adjustments for the big show.

Eh someone else said this in a different thread and I disagree that I’d call this a “prototypical heavyweight match.”  “Saving it up for one big go” is what a lot of guys at all weights do nowadays IMO.

1 hour ago, Coach_J said:

Prototype heavyweight chess match--make no mistakes, save it up for one big go, try to win by one.  Both men will need to make adjustments for the big show.

And people keep saying we need to have another weight between 197 and 285. If we did we'd get two such matches. 

My thought is...Cassar has great reattacks when he has his left hand collar tie. Gable knew that but was losing that hand fight battle, so he was afraid to attack from the tie. Cassar felt the hips of Gable on that first shot so he didn’t want to take his normal double and was content to wait for the reattack. 

Gable didn't look like Gable to me from the start, not much footwork compared to normal and seemed somewhat bored. I agree with the thought that Cassar could have been hit for stalling on top when he was just sitting back and not trying to return Gable. Good win for Cassar, gotta think this will be the semi final bout at NCAAs and White will get the #1 seed.

Steveson looked bored out of his mind to me.  I think he figured Cassar had no chance to take him down, so he probably felt that one TD was all he needed to get the win.  Give Cassar credit, he got a huge TD when he needed it for the win.  I think Steveson opens up more at NCAA's and makes a statement.

1 hour ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

Steveson looked bored out of his mind to me.  I think he figured Cassar had no chance to take him down, so he probably felt that one TD was all he needed to get the win.  Give Cassar credit, he got a huge TD when he needed it for the win.  I think Steveson opens up more at NCAA's and makes a statement.

He was bored during the first six minutes of the match because he knew he was going to get a takedown with one minute remaining and thought that would be enough? 

11 hours ago, skikayaker said:

I heard Cassar say in a video that shots, and defenses were not being interpreted by the video feed properly and that there was a lot going on in that match than meets the eye, or camera.

No, pretty sure we all saw the hand fighting/positioning battle and the several Gable half shots. What’s Cassar gonna say, “yeah I didn’t do anything except wait for 6 minutes”?

Cassar's win gives him a big boost at NCAAs given the likely scenario he becomes the #1 seed, and the two opponents with the greatest potential for beating him, Stevenson & White, will share the bottom half of the bracket.

1 hour ago, CholleyVandine said:

He was bored during the first six minutes of the match because he knew he was going to get a takedown with one minute remaining and thought that would be enough? 

I think so.  I think he probably felt so confident that Cassar wouldn't take him down that he believed that one TD would win and wrestled uninspired.