Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PHS 112

Throwing the Foam Challenge Brick-

Recommended Posts

It appears that throwing the foam challenge brick is becoming more than simply rolling the brick onto the mat. I saw a few forceful tosses that where not even close to the wrestlers. I can't wait to see a coach throw the brick at the official or a loud mouth fan. 

Will the NCAA change how the challenges are made? Or will a game of dodge brick break out? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PHS 112 said:

It appears that throwing the foam challenge brick is becoming more than simply rolling the brick onto the mat. I saw a few forceful tosses that where not even close to the wrestlers. I can't wait to see a coach throw the brick at the official or a loud mouth fan. 

Will the NCAA change how the challenges are made? Or will a game of dodge brick break out? 

 

That's why it's foam... I have a hard time picturing a nerf war breaking out in the middle of the Ncaas. If it did, who could even be mad at it?

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PHS 112 said:

It appears that throwing the foam challenge brick is becoming more than simply rolling the brick onto the mat. I saw a few forceful tosses that where not even close to the wrestlers. I can't wait to see a coach throw the brick at the official or a loud mouth fan. 

Will the NCAA change how the challenges are made? Or will a game of dodge brick break out? 

 

Watch out for Cael! Penn State regularly plays dodge ball so he will be ready for this challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I do think a match should continue until there is no action. It was ridiculous that they stopped Marinelli and Joseph in the middle of a shot to review a hands to the face call. If that is going to happen, get ready to see the use of the brick in every close scoring situation.

They will run out pretty quickly as teams only have so many. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

They will run out pretty quickly as teams only have so many. 

I don't think that will deter coaches from gaming it. Maybe PSU, Okie St., Iowa etc. are more careful in the early rounds, but then whats stopping them from pulling that crap in the finals? If you are a team like NDSU, App st., or whoever and you are just hoping and praying to advance your guy, why wouldn't you throw the brick to stop the match when your guy is about to give up a point? I just do not like the precedent that it sets going forward. If refs keep stopping the match like that, its only a matter of time until some kid gets screwed over because of it.

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I don't think that will deter coaches from gaming it. Maybe PSU, Okie St., Iowa etc. are more careful in the early rounds, but then whats stopping them from pulling that crap in the finals? If you are a team like NDSU, App st., or whoever and you are just hoping and praying to advance your guy, why wouldn't you throw the brick to stop the match when your guy is about to give up a point? I just do not like the precedent that it sets going forward. If refs keep stopping the match like that, its only a matter of time until some kid gets screwed over because of it.

You do realize Cael threw the brick before Marinelli was on Cenzo's leg? The ref didn't see it for a second or two. You are making it out like Cael saw Marinelli in on a shot and THEN in reaction to the impending TD threw the brick. This is where you are wrong about what happened yesterday.

I do agree it is possible for you are describing to happen at some point, but it just didn't happen yesterday so that should be made clear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You do realize Cael threw the brick before Marinelli was on Cenzo's leg? The ref didn't see it for a second or two. You are making it out like Cael saw Marinelli in on a shot and THEN in reaction to the impending TD threw the brick. This is where you are wrong about what happened yesterday.

I do agree it is possible for you are describing to happen at some point, but it just didn't happen yesterday so that should be made clear. 

I am not saying that at all. I don't know Cael's(actually I think Casey threw the brick) intent, and I think they probably, like me, thought they let wrestlers wrestle through the position. I am more speaking to the ref here. He saw the brick and blew the whistle without any concern for what is going on in the match. That is the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You do realize Cael threw the brick before Marinelli was on Cenzo's leg? The ref didn't see it for a second or two. You are making it out like Cael saw Marinelli in on a shot and THEN in reaction to the impending TD threw the brick. This is where you are wrong about what happened yesterday.

I do agree it is possible for you are describing to happen at some point, but it just didn't happen yesterday so that should be made clear. 

Both guys were still wrestling I have no bias opinion but Marinelli finish’s that takedown I think it more on the refs. video shouldn’t be looked at until there is a clear break in action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sublime607 said:

Both guys were still wrestling I have no bias opinion but Marinelli finish’s that takedown I think it more on the refs. video shouldn’t be looked at until there is a clear break in action.

I agree with that. I have even argued for that in the past. It does not negate the specifics of what happened yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I am not saying that at all. I don't know Cael's(actually I think Casey threw the brick) intent, and I think they probably, like me, thought they let wrestlers wrestle through the position. I am more speaking to the ref here. He saw the brick and blew the whistle without any concern for what is going on in the match. That is the problem. 

But the brick can distract a wrestler which I think is the case yesterday. If you make it a rule that might be different, but the rule now can make a wrestler think stoppage is impending, then he lets his defense down and the opponent gets to his leg in that moment. It all gets to sketchy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 10:14 AM, TBar1977 said:

But the brick can distract a wrestler which I think is the case yesterday. If you make it a rule that might be different, but the rule now can make a wrestler think stoppage is impending, then he lets his defense down and the opponent gets to his leg in that moment. It all gets to sketchy. 


The first picture is where the brick comes in. It is behind The Bulls leg. The second picture you can see that the brick bounced off towards the back and this is where The ref blew the whistle. I don't think either wrestler saw the brick. However, the whistle made Joseph stop wrestling. A finish wasn't guarenteed. It just seems like a perfect spot for the ref to let the action continue before going to review. 

 

 

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, I am not arguing the match. Marinelli clobbered Cenzo yesterday. Get it. Well done. 

I am only saying that the way the rule works now you are going to have occassions where the brick gets thrown while there isn't a lot of action and then while the brick is rolling around the action ramps up. What do you do? What do you do if one wrestler has reacted to the brick but the other has his back to the brick. 

I am not going to go down the path of useless still pics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TBar1977 said:

I am only saying that the way the rule works now you are going to have occassions where the brick gets thrown while there isn't a lot of action and then while the brick is rolling around the action ramps up. What do you do? What do you do if one wrestler has reacted to the brick but the other has his back to the brick. 

I would say allow it to carry out. This sequence is why that needs to be addressed. Once everyone knows the way this will be handled then I don't think you will have wrestlers stopping because of a brick being thrown. The problem is the lack of clarity right now IMO. It just needs to be cleaned up a little. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Look, I am not arguing the match. Marinelli clobbered Cenzo yesterday. Get it. Well done. 

I am only saying that the way the rule works now you are going to have occassions where the brick gets thrown while there isn't a lot of action and then while the brick is rolling around the action ramps up. What do you do? What do you do if one wrestler has reacted to the brick but the other has his back to the brick. 

I am not going to go down the path of useless still pics. 

I’m just glad it didn’t affect the outcome. It was such a bang bang thing in no way did PSU do anything wrong. I just think refs need to wait for a break in the action to stop the match. Now on the other hand I have been a big doubter of Spencer Lee’s gas tank and thought for sure the hands to the face challenge would give him time to recover but that’s a whole other topic of discussion.

Edited by Sublime607

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, russelscout said:

I would say allow it to carry out. This sequence is why that needs to be addressed. Once everyone knows the way this will be handled then I don't think you will have wrestlers stopping because of a brick being thrown. The problem is the lack of clarity right now IMO. It just needs to be cleaned up a little. 

The rule allows it to be carried out, its just that there is judgement as to whether or not there is significant action taking place. What happened yesterday happened sequentially, for lack of a better description. The ref obviously felt at the time of his stoppage there wasn't significant action. I am paying compliment here to how quickly Marinelli shot on Cenzo there. This is just an issue of timing yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...