Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
buf87

Iowa State wrestling headed in the right direction

Recommended Posts

1 year ago - 1 NCAA qualifier, 0 finalist, 6 or 7th place finish in the Big 12 tourney

This year - 9 NCAA qualifiers, 4 finalist, 1 champ and 2nd place finish at Big 12's

Only 1 senior starting and that is Willie Miklus.

Big 12 Coach of the Year and well deserved is Kevin Dresser!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cedeno said:

Which wrestler did not qualify this year.  Looking at the results all the wrestlers finished within the automatic qualifiers.

Logan Schumacher at 165.  Big 12 had 6 allocations, but Chandler Rogers was one of them.  When they put Joe Smith in, the conference had to give 1 allocation back.

That knock Logan to a wild card spot.   He wrestled a heck of a tourney for a true freshman!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Straw won 157 right?  Imagine what David Carr is going to do to this weight class.

Straw wrestled a really good tourney.  His only chance to qualify was to win the tourney.  Big 12 had 3-5 guys at the borderline allocation.  Sheets, Thomas, Straw, Wright, Weber, Mossing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blown away. Hopefully they can get 2 or 3 guys on the podium. I think Miklus, Colbray, Gomez, Parker and Degen all have a good shot at AAing. All won’t, 2 or 3 is very possibles. None are locks though  

They somehow may be better than a tough UNI this year. 

 

My name is Housebuye. I watch a lot of wrestling, but as Pish says, I don’t know what the hell I’m watching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ISU is definitely on the right track. Excited to see how they move forward. Don't think they need to land a Carr every year and I think Anderson is going to be good but I do think they need a little more than that coming through the pipeline consistently.

Edited by wrestlingphish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great tournament and great strides made by everyone involved with the team.  

But what was the staff thinking sending Miklus under Weigel in the 2nd period?  That was almost Molinaro "I choose down" levels of headscratching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyclones next year

125 - Mackall RJr, Reeves Fr

133 - Gomez RSo, Small Rjr, Ramazan Fr

141 - Parker RJr, Leisure RSo, Anderson Fr

149 - Degen RJr

157 - Carr RFr, Straw RSr

165 - Schumacher, So, Mulder So

174 - Coleman RSo

184 - Colbray RJr, Shapiro RFr

197- one of 184 pounders, Sauer RFr

285 - Gremmel RJr, Dugan RFr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Great tournament and great strides made by everyone involved with the team.  

But what was the staff thinking sending Miklus under Weigel in the 2nd period?  That was almost Molinaro "I choose down" levels of headscratching.

Better to know now than NCAA.  Hard to give a potential point away in a close match.  But the risk was not worth it in hind sight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, buf87 said:

Better to know now than NCAA.  Hard to give a potential point away in a close match.  But the risk was not worth it in hind sight!

If it was 1-0 in the 3rd period I could see going down.  You don't want Weigel to be able to stall away a period at that point.  But doing it in a 0-0 match with 4 minutes of wrestling left seems stubborn for the sake of stubborn.  The current version of Weigel seems relatively healthy, but he also seems like the injuries have sapped the little neutral game he had in the past and left him as a guy who has one path to victory.  To me you have to force the issue in neutral and spend the maximum amount of time there you can.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling it now... Based on what I saw, first hand, at the Schultz, Carr will AA in folkstyle next year.  He has a shot of winning the whole thing.  His neutral game and ability to finish shots is super high.  He can scramble as well.  So... there's my prediction.  

My name is Treep2000, and I'm just a fan, with no plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boconnell said:

If it was 1-0 in the 3rd period I could see going down.  You don't want Weigel to be able to stall away a period at that point.  But doing it in a 0-0 match with 4 minutes of wrestling left seems stubborn for the sake of stubborn.  The current version of Weigel seems relatively healthy, but he also seems like the injuries have sapped the little neutral game he had in the past and left him as a guy who has one path to victory.  To me you have to force the issue in neutral and spend the maximum amount of time there you can.  

You obviously didn't watch him much.  Weigel had 6 or 7 takedowns, this tournament, all off his own shots.  And he stalled that period to the tune of four back points, and a stalling warning on Miklus.  Is he Bo on his feet -definitely not, but it isn't a given you won't be taken down.  And he has proven before this year that if you take a sloppy shot it will cost you.

Edited by smcfee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, smcfee said:

You obviously didn't watch him much.  Weigel had 6 or 7 takedowns, this tournament, all off his own shots.  And he stalled that period to the tune of four back points, and a stalling warning on Miklus.  Is he Bo on his feet -definitely not, but it isn't a given you won't be taken down.  And he has proven before this year that if you take a sloppy shot it will cost you.

What???

You are looking for a fight so much you read a ton into my post that wasn't there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, boconnell said:

What???

You are looking for a fight so much you read a ton into my post that wasn't there.  

no fighting desired or looked for!  But here are quotes "seems like the injuries have sapped the little neutral game he had in the past and left him as a guy who has one path to victory" and " You don't want Weigel to be able to stall away a period at that point".  If I took it incorrectly, how did you mean it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

Dresser is an excellent coach. 

Thats not what Kanen Storr says! I know I know, not everyone is a perfect fit. Amazed at the progress and I really thought that little episode was going to put them off the rails. Good on the coaching staff for keeping it together and maintaining focus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, smcfee said:

no fighting desired or looked for!  But here are quotes "seems like the injuries have sapped the little neutral game he had in the past and left him as a guy who has one path to victory" and " You don't want Weigel to be able to stall away a period at that point".  If I took it incorrectly, how did you mean it?

I said you maybe go down in the 3rd period of a 1-0 match, because if you go neutral he can just keep away and stall for the period.  You somehow read that as me saying Weigel stalled.  

And yes, Weigel is not beating great wrestlers in neutral at this point in his career.  He is getting on top and crushing them, so going down is foolish.  This isn't close to a dig at Weigel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scramble said:

Does Schumacher qualify for an at large bid? 

I don't think so.

No coaches ranking, no RPI, and no win %age.

He has the 1 spot out of allocation.  Unless he would get in coaches poll, I was told he can't get an at large berth.

He did a heck of a job.  Cutting down from 174 mid season and as a true freshman.  Zane Mulder did a nice job filling in also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the long history of the program they had become one of the most under performing teams if not the most under performing team in college wrestling. They had a couple seasons finishing below 30 I think. Current staff has gotten the culture cleaned up and fight back into the wrestling.  While the Big 12 was not exactly loaded this year outside of OSU with OU still run of the mill, Wyoming down in talent from some other years, UNI hit and miss and SDSU next to nothing compared to last year, they clearly did progress. If they were in the Big 10 I'd put them in the 8-11 range right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Iowa state and coach dresser! As a VT fan, it is not shocking what  he’s done there in a short time. I’ll be pulling for the cyclones, especially Degen except in matches against VT at the ncaa tourney.  Hopefully we get the cyclones on our dual schedule soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×