Jump to content
silvermedal

Shakur Rasheed Forfeit in Finals

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, pish6969 said:

 


What punishment would you like? He was number 2 coming in and MFF to Number 1?

No ones asking to see Shak seeded at 1 so not sure of the concern?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

He would like to see a punishment greater than just taking a loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I am privy to the fact that different opinions exist in the world. Thankfully, for now. 

Tons of folks agree with you, now you need to do what BTFB can't seem to do in the other thread and let your moral victory savor a little while still allowing room for others to disagree on the margin. 

 
Point taken. I yield the remainder of my time to the rest of the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pish6969 said:

 


What punishment would you like? He was number 2 coming in and MFF to Number 1?

No ones asking to see Shak seeded at 1 so not sure of the concern?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Maybe he wants it to count as 2 losses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

As punishment to both Brands and Cael they should be forced to have their teams wrestle a dual every year.

 

30 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Im all for it. 

That's why Brands is ruining the sport. Ducking wrestlers is ok but ducking teams.... that's a no no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever the real reason may or may not have been, if the decision was made by the trainer it is all irrelevant and won't have any bearing/punishment.  Even if Cael and the trainer were in on the mastermind scheme together, if the trainer made the recommendation nobody is going to argue it.  They will treat it just like a trainer pulling someone for a possible concussion that may not have been realized at the end of a prior match.  Additionally, they will never write a rule that punishes someone for a Medical Forfeit; especially coming from a medical professional (i.e. trainer) whether an injury is legit or not.  They will always go with the side of caution, as they should.  The moment you go against medical advice you open yourself, the trainer, the host institution, and the institution you are from to major lawsuits.  Implementing a rule of punishment that may create pressure circumstances where the okay to compete is given to an athlete, when there is the slightest chance they shouldn't, will open up the same lawsuit channel if there is any further injury.  Only you can add the NCAA organization to the lawsuit list then.  No way do they ever implement punishment for a M.F.

Now if the coaches decide that because of the injury an athlete may no longer be able to finish where once projected (i.e. Moisey) and adjust the rankings that is different.  Nothing will go down officially in that way though for all the reasons mentioned above. 

 

As far as bad for viewership.  Most people viewing regular television like ESPN or the Big10 network are not following to the extent that they know Brands, Ryan, or anyone else is holding a kid out to protect a seed.  How many people actually purchase the Big10 network solely for wrestling?  Not everyone on this forum even does.  I purchase it every year when the matches fire up and drop it right after the Big 10 tournament (I will be dropping it this week :-) )  I would venture to say many viewers don't even know how the seeds became what they were because they don't follow college close enough.  Heck, most high school coaches and youth coaches don't watch college wrestling.  Most probably couldn't list the names of 15 college wrestlers right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a fan...  this move was horrible.  I was pretty ticked, as it was a marquee matchup that I was absolutely wanting to see.

If I were Cael, I'd see the point... but... this could backfire greatly.  It's hard to replicate the speed and movement that MyMar demonstrates, along with his attack angles and power.  Why?  Well... no one else has his style.  It's incredibly unique, and incredibly effective.  I think Shak would have had more to gain by having a 2nd match against MyMar.  He could make defensive adjustments, because he will have felt that speed/movement.  Now... unless he catches him like Nickal, he won't know what that feels/looks like.  

And... this is assuming he makes it to the finals.  There are other studs waiting in the wings, and upsets happen all the time.  Just ask MyMar.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, scramble said:

Whatever the real reason may or may not have been, if the decision was made by the trainer it is all irrelevant and won't have any bearing/punishment.  Even if Cael and the trainer were in on the mastermind scheme together, if the trainer made the recommendation nobody is going to argue it.  They will treat it just like a trainer pulling someone for a possible concussion that may not have been realized at the end of a prior match.  Additionally, they will never write a rule that punishes someone for a Medical Forfeit; especially coming from a medical professional (i.e. trainer) whether an injury is legit or not.  They will always go with the side of caution, as they should.  The moment you go against medical advice you open yourself, the trainer, the host institution, and the institution you are from to major lawsuits.  Implementing a rule of punishment that may create pressure circumstances where the okay to compete is given to an athlete, when there is the slightest chance they shouldn't, will open up the same lawsuit channel if there is any further injury.  Only you can add the NCAA organization to the lawsuit list then.  No way do they ever implement punishment for a M.F.

Now if the coaches decide that because of the injury an athlete may no longer be able to finish where once projected (i.e. Moisey) and adjust the rankings that is different.  Nothing will go down officially in that way though for all the reasons mentioned above. 

 

As far as bad for viewership.  Most people viewing regular television like ESPN or the Big10 network are not following to the extent that they know Brands, Ryan, or anyone else is holding a kid out to protect a seed.  How many people actually purchase the Big10 network solely for wrestling?  Not everyone on this forum even does.  I purchase it every year when the matches fire up and drop it right after the Big 10 tournament (I will be dropping it this week :-) )  I would venture to say many viewers don't even know how the seeds became what they were because they don't follow college close enough.  Heck, most high school coaches and youth coaches don't watch college wrestling.  Most probably couldn't list the names of 15 college wrestlers right now. 

This is absurd.  Do you honestly believe the trainer doesn't get ignored if he makes the same call 2 weeks from now before the NCAA finals?  If a guy is so hurt that a medical professional needed to step in and forbid the coach from having him compete, then he has no business on a mat in 2 weeks.  But there is no way you or anyone on the board actually believe the trainer made the call.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, boconnell said:

This is absurd.  Do you honestly believe the trainer doesn't get ignored if he makes the same call 2 weeks from now before the NCAA finals?  If a guy is so hurt that a medical professional needed to step in and forbid the coach from having him compete, then he has no business on a mat in 2 weeks.  But there is no way you or anyone on the board actually believe the trainer made the call.  

You've got a good point.  Anyone that MFFs or injury defaults out of a conference tourney should be disqualified from competing at NCAAs.  That's what you want, right?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

You've got a good point.  Anyone that MFFs or injury defaults out of a conference tourney should be disqualified from competing at NCAAs.  That's what you want, right?

You can read what I want above if you wanted to discuss it.  But you don't want to.  You want to stir the pot.  I'm not interested in that.

Edited by boconnell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

 It's hard to replicate the speed and movement that MyMar demonstrates, along with his attack angles and power.  Why?  Well... no one else has his style. 

David Taylor is a great 1:1 comparison to Martin, in my humble opinion. Not sure how much he is in the PSU room right now though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

would you feel better if he went out there and laid on his back?  Would have made the same impact in seeding.

How about no MFF's unless a previous match during the tournament ends in an injury default. So if a guy gets hurt and doesn't finish his semifinal match that is an injury default and the two consolation matches are MFF. If the semi final match does not end in an injury default and the wrestler chooses not to continue the next match would be injury default and count against his record and all subsequent matches are MFF and do not hurt the record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...