Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNorth

Nolf = 'The Creator' with a GPA of 4.5 ?

6 hours ago, twocrows said:

As has been pointed out, Penn State does not go above 4.0. Some reputable schools do. MIT for example gives a 5 for an A.

From the Penn State bio of Jason Nolf

"Outstanding student, posting a 4.5 GPA, winning Kittanning’s Physics Award and the school’s Principal’s Award."

Also it was Tim Johnson who made the statement, repeating it from at least one Penn State mach he announced.

The quote you have is his High School GPA.  From the Penn State Roster

High School/Personal:
Nolf married Penn State women’s soccer player Maddie Elliston on June 30, 2018...Brought a lengthy list of accolades with him to the Penn State Nittany Lion family...Won three state titles in high school, at 103, 132 and 145...Amassed a 176-1 career record at Kittanning High School...Four-year wrestling letterman and one-time team captain...Lettered twice in cross country and one year in track and field...Competed in the 2014 USA vs. Pennsylvania Dapper Dan event and competed for the Young Guns wrestling club...Outstanding student, posting a 4.5 GPA, winning Kittanning’s Physics Award and the school’s Principal’s Award.

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

A GPA in itself doesn't mean jack ****. A perfect GPA in a wimp discipline like Education - big deal. Anybody can do it. A perfect GPA in Electrical Engineering - quite another story.

What's Nolf's major?

I hope your joking... Math major with education was pretty tough.  Chemistry, physics.......

14 hours ago, WrestleNJ said:

They also said Ashnault was the first NJ 4x State Champion, which is wrong. First undefeated 4x State Champion more like. But yeah I also heard the 4.5 and scoffed. As a Penn State alum I can confirm they, and no other reputable college/university, gives out weighed grades. 4.0 being an A is the highest GPA you can achieve (I didn't achieve that). 

If I remember correctly isn’t Mike Gray the first 4X from Jersey

9 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

If I remember correctly isn’t Mike Gray the first 4X from Jersey

Yes. He had 2-3 losses I believe- all at The Beast of the East. Then Andrew Campolattano. 1 loss to the Iowa Stache-man then at Blair. Then AA and NS both undefeated.

Cornell gives a 4.3 for an A+.

State U of New York, U of Oregon and Colgate offer 4.3 for an A+, too.

I've read that Columbia and ASU go 4.33.  

MIT:  5.0 grading system.  You probably have to understand string theory to compute your GPA..  

If I was a college president, I'd give 4.34 for an A+ and double the tuition costs.  People would come.

6 hours ago, teach said:

I hope your joking... Math major with education was pretty tough.  Chemistry, physics.......

Schools have been increasing the "education" courses and decreasing the subject matter courses for their education majors.

Teaching methods and philosophy is a larger portion of the course load now.  The new school of thought is that it is better to know how to communicate to students than it is to be an expert in the subject matter.

For instance, here are the current required courses for a Penn State Education Major for secondary mathematics.   (Type of course listed on the right):

Semester 1  
EDUC 100S: First-Year Seminar in Education Education
MATH 140: Calculus With Analytic Geometry I  Math

Semester 2  
MATH 141: Calculus with Analytic Geometry II Math
MATH 220: Matrices Math

Semester 3  
MATH 311W: Concepts of Discrete Mathematics Math
MATH 230: Calculus and Vector Analysis Math
EDPSY 014: Learning and Instruction Education
C I 280: Introduction to Teaching English to English Language Learners  Education

Semester 4  
MATH 310: Elementary Combinatorics Math
HD FS 239: Adolescent Development Education
MATH 312: Concepts of Real Analysis  Math
EDTHP 115: Education in American Society Education
C I 295: Introductory Field Experience for Teacher Preparation Education

Semester 5  
MATH 414: Introduction to Probability Theory Math
MATH 470: Algebra for Teachers Math
MATH 436: Linear Algebra Math

Semester 6  
SPLED 400: Teaching Exceptional Students in General Ed Education
MTHED 411: Teaching Secondary Mathematics I  Education
MTHED 427: Teaching Mathematics in Technology-Intensive Environments  Education
MATH 471: Geometry for Teachers Math

Semester 7  
MTHED 412W:Teaching Secondary Mathematics II Education
C I 495C: Clinical Application of Instruction - Secondary Education Education
SPLED 403B: Evidence-Based Methods for Teaching Secondary Students with Disabilities in Inclusive Settings Education

Semester 8  
C I 495E: Practicum in Student Teaching - Secondary Education Education

2 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

Cornell gives a 4.3 for an A+.

State U of New York, U of Oregon and Colgate offer 4.3 for an A+, too.

MIT:  5.0 grading system.  You probably have to understand string theory to compute your GPA.. .

MIT an A isn't 5, B is 4, C is 3, D is 2, F is 0. 

The broadcast made it seem like Nolf won the best physic student award at PSU, which would be super impressive, physic award in HS still nice, but hardly compares. I guess he is not even a physics major.

52 minutes ago, Jim L said:

MIT an A isn't 5, B is 4, C is 3, D is 2, F is 0. 

The broadcast made it seem like Nolf won the best physic student award at PSU, which would be super impressive, physic award in HS still nice, but hardly compares. I guess he is not even a physics major.

JASON NOLF
CLASS Senior

Major: Kinesiology

High School/Personal:
Nolf ... Amassed a 176-1 career record at Kittanning High School...Outstanding student, posting a 4.5 GPA, winning Kittanning’s Physics Award and the school’s Principal’s Award.

Certainly appears is his high school gpa, they probably either don't understand math at Kittanning High or Penn State can't figure out how to convert it to a 4.0 scale.  

But why would the B10 announcers be talking about his high school gpa?  And for Pete's sake, he is a senior in Kinesiology not a physics major!  ;_;

Now its got me wondering about McKenna's 4.0 that the B10 announcers go on and on about.  Maybe that was his 7th grade gpa as pretty sure also saw video that mentioned he repeated 8th grade?

4 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

MIT:  5.0 grading system.  You probably have to understand string theory to compute your GPA..  

Had a buddy who went to MIT. Smartest guy I know. He came home once with some of his homework. This was his freshman year, and I couldn't believe people knew that crap. Very humbling.

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

Had a buddy who went to MIT. Smartest guy I know. He came home once with some of his homework. This was his freshman year, and I couldn't believe people knew that crap. Very humbling.

I went to school with a guy who graduated number 1 at our h.s. He went to MIT as well. If I called him a genius I really wouldn't even be close to describing his problem solving skill in math and physics. 

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I went to school with a guy who graduated number 1 at our h.s. He went to MIT as well. If I called him a genius I really wouldn't even be close to describing his problem solving skill in math and physics. 

The irony is that if he were to come on this board and comment honestly on wrestling, he'd be bashed around like a rag doll.

5 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

The irony is that if he were to come on this board and comment honestly on wrestling, he'd be bashed around like a rag doll.

You are right about that. He looks like Poindexter and knows nothing about wrestling. Now, NASA stuff he knows real well. We need guys like him around. 

Edited by TBar1977

Nolf, Ogle honored with 2019 McCoy Award

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Penn State students Jason Nolf, a wrestler and kinesiology major, and Emily Ogle, a soccer player and kinesiology major, have been selected as the 2019 recipients of the Ernest B. McCoy Memorial Award.

The McCoy Award is presented annually to one senior student-athlete who has combined successful athletic participation with academic excellence. The award is named for the longtime dean of Penn State’s College of Physical Education, who also served as the University’s athletic director.

Jason Nolf

No. 1 ranked Nolf is undefeated during this year's wrestling season and looking to win his third-straight NCAA title at 157 pounds and become a four-time All-American. Nolf has been in the NCAA finals in each of his first three seasons and has won the past two NCAA titles, including an impressive title in 2018 after returning from an early-season injury.

Nolf’s collegiate wrestling record is 126-4, with a 5-0 record in the NCAA championships. The 2018-19 wrestling season is not completed, so Nolf's record is subject to change. 

Nolf’s accolades off the mat include three-time Academic All-Big Ten, three-time Big Ten Distinguished Scholar and two-time Academic All-American. His cumulative GPA is 3.72.

https://news.psu.edu/story/563151/2019/03/20/academics/nolf-ogle-honored-2019-mccoy-award