Sign in to follow this  
cangemi

Talk about turning program around

4 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Tailoring a practice to make sure it is beneficial for all levels has been challenging to say the least.  I think for the team culture the focus has to be on those things that don't involve specific advanced techniques.  The basics of the wrestling mindset, hard work, sacrifice,  being coachable overcoming adversity or obstacles, and respect.  These are aspects that all young wrestlers can be a part of and understand without the need of specialized trainings or camps.  

Thanks man, you too! This is it though. A mindset and approach that is easily communicated to all athletes is important. 

One thing I learned in my time coaching high school and then at a lower level college is that you can not become too good at the basics. You can't be too good at a break down, a stand up, a front headlock, and a single leg. Starting at the basics and continuing on that track and branch out here and there is the best way to coach a team. If a kid wants to learn a windixie or whatever Nolf does, that is great, and I would be happy to spend some extra time helping him with that after practice, but Im not going to confuse or try to implement that for everyone. Thats where clubs come in. It is a great way to supplement their primary training. 

I am always reminded of a kid we had on our high school team. 4 time finalist, couple time champ. Went on to Nebraska. The kid could throw the kitchen sink at kids and hit everything beyond what you could imagine. It wasn't until he perfected the basics that he got really good, and all of that drilling of the basics never hurt his style in any way. It added to it and made him more prepared for the next level.

Kevin Dresser talking about coaching the basics

I think too many coaches feel the pressure to show off the wall "high level" stuff when they have a talented kid. Its a mistake IMO. Very little return for the time you invest.

1 minute ago, DuckFor2 said:

not sure how he will pan out in college, but 3x PIAA champ Ryan Anderson is heading there, 145 lber in HS with a little excess around the midsection.

He could be a 149 pounder if he can morph that fat into muscle. To be fair, the more of a putz a wrestler looks the more fun his matches are to watch. I love seeing those goofy built dudes wrestling shaved gorillas on the mat and making them look stupid. Don't see many like that in college anymore, guys whose skills are so over the top it doesn't matter they are packing some gut (except for the heavies, obviously, lol). I remember Dave Schultz packing a pretty good gut on a couple of occasions, and he certainly didn't look like a hulk in the upper body/arms. That dude was brutal.

1 hour ago, MrDream said:

"Next Year".....I don't think I'm looking at the same ISU and Iowa rosters you are if you think ISU could take the crown "next year".

If Iowa stays healthy (big if) they SHOULD (another big should) be pushing PSU for a team title. 

125- Lee

133- DeSanto

141- Renteria

149- Lugo

157- Young/Brands

165- Marinelli

174- Kemerer

184- Wilcke

197- Warner

HWT- Cassioppi

Freshman like Assad and Kennedy coming in to maybe push Wilcke. 

I agree that Dresser is on a major upward trend and definitely has the ability to contend with Iowa, but I just don't think it's coming next year.  

I’ll be honest, beyond degan, Gomez and willie, I can’t name any other isu wrestlers much less know their cred. 

But what I do know is, KD can and will “polish a turd” (bad Southwest VA pun and no offense to isu wrestlers) and field a team that will compete with anybody, especially once his recruits are in the lineup. 

40 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Thanks man, you too! This is it though. A mindset and approach that is easily communicated to all athletes is important. 

One thing I learned in my time coaching high school and then at a lower level college is that you can not become too good at the basics. You can't be too good at a break down, a stand up, a front headlock, and a single leg. Starting at the basics and continuing on that track and branch out here and there is the best way to coach a team. If a kid wants to learn a windixie or whatever Nolf does, that is great, and I would be happy to spend some extra time helping him with that after practice, but Im not going to confuse or try to implement that for everyone. Thats where clubs come in. It is a great way to supplement their primary training. 

I am always reminded of a kid we had on our high school team. 4 time finalist, couple time champ. Went on to Nebraska. The kid could throw the kitchen sink at kids and hit everything beyond what you could imagine. It wasn't until he perfected the basics that he got really good, and all of that drilling of the basics never hurt his style in any way. It added to it and made him more prepared for the next level.

Kevin Dresser talking about coaching the basics

I think too many coaches feel the pressure to show off the wall "high level" stuff when they have a talented kid. Its a mistake IMO. Very little return for the time you invest.

Yup!  Someone a few months ago posted the types of shots/takedowns that were most used successfully at the senior level and it was double, single, high crotch, and a quick go behind at the top. 

Another obstacle we run into is our guys will attend camps in the summer (something we definitely reinforce as coaches) and be taught some of those more "flash moves"  and then come to practice and only want to work on that.   What we started doing a little more before practice is putting up a quick flo video of some of the d1 teams drilling and working out.  Not only do we do that as a way to model what intensity in drilling looks like, but we also ask them to take notice of the moves they see being drilled....They are baffled that you dont see Michigan or Ohio State running a "super duck drill" over and over again haha.

5 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Yup!  Someone a few months ago posted the types of shots/takedowns that were most used successfully at the senior level and it was double, single, high crotch, and a quick go behind at the top. 

Another obstacle we run into is our guys will attend camps in the summer (something we definitely reinforce as coaches) and be taught some of those more "flash moves"  and then come to practice and only want to work on that.   What we started doing a little more before practice is putting up a quick flo video of some of the d1 teams drilling and working out.  Not only do we do that as a way to model what intensity in drilling looks like, but we also ask them to take notice of the moves they see being drilled....They are baffled that you dont see Michigan or Ohio State running a "super duck drill" over and over again haha.

You just had me picturing Adam Coon doing a super duck drill! haha The thing is, there still can be some of that worked in. Drilling singles, front head, etc like usual, but I always like the idea of having guys learn one or two throws like a hip toss or step around throws and drill feet to back during the course of a year, just so guys start feeling comfortable there. Just have them do that 5-10 minutes max then on to something else. Or some short time where guys are free to drill on their own after covering the important stuff.

One thing I have had a very hard time with, and it bothers me still when I go help some programs here and there, is teaching kids how to play-wrestle. The concept is hard to communicate. I have seen the benefits of play-wrestling, and actually if done correctly is even more beneficial than traditional more repetitive drilling imo. Part of the problem is that both wrestlers need to have a base that makes it possible to give a realistic feel, but also egos get in the way and one kid wants to win every takedown and it quickly becomes live. You ever worked with this kind of drilling? Had any success with it? Even at the college level, I couldn't get the unit as a whole to work with it correctly. 

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

You just had me picturing Adam Coon doing a super duck drill! haha The thing is, there still can be some of that worked in. Drilling singles, front head, etc like usual, but I always like the idea of having guys learn one or two throws like a hip toss or step around throws and drill feet to back during the course of a year, just so guys start feeling comfortable there. Just have them do that 5-10 minutes max then on to something else. Or some short time where guys are free to drill on their own after covering the important stuff.

One thing I have had a very hard time with, and it bothers me still when I go help some programs here and there, is teaching kids how to play-wrestle. The concept is hard to communicate. I have seen the benefits of play-wrestling, and actually if done correctly is even more beneficial than traditional more repetitive drilling imo. Part of the problem is that both wrestlers need to have a base that makes it possible to give a realistic feel, but also egos get in the way and one kid wants to win every takedown and it quickly becomes live. You ever worked with this kind of drilling? Had any success with it? Even at the college level, I couldn't get the unit as a whole to work with it correctly. 

We run into the same problems as well.  We call it a Flow-match.  Two guys going at a slower live pace but  with very little resistance not so much worrying about scoring or giving up points.  We emphasize that this is the time to put yourself into uncomfortable positions and find ways of getting out of it.  But yea I see the same stuff, either its one guy dominating or just two guys going live.  Its helped our guys to go 1:1 with a coach who knows what he is doing and then that coach models and explains throughout.  Then if that kid understands what's asked of him then he can work with another kid....kind of like a teach a teacher sort of deal.  

1 hour ago, JBluegill133 said:

We run into the same problems as well.  We call it a Flow-match.  Two guys going at a slower live pace but  with very little resistance not so much worrying about scoring or giving up points.  We emphasize that this is the time to put yourself into uncomfortable positions and find ways of getting out of it.  But yea I see the same stuff, either its one guy dominating or just two guys going live.  Its helped our guys to go 1:1 with a coach who knows what he is doing and then that coach models and explains throughout.  Then if that kid understands what's asked of him then he can work with another kid....kind of like a teach a teacher sort of deal.  

I'd love for Cael or really any coach that emphasizes a lot of this to come out with a series covering this topic alone. Maybe it is something that you can only get to work with experienced guys or it need to be a hands on lesson, but I think it would be a worthy pursuit to try at least because it would be valuable. Maybe something on flo? I bet there are a lot of coaches who would have some input on this. What do you think @Jaroslav Hasek @Husker_Du ? 

Edited by russelscout

6 hours ago, MrDream said:

"Next Year".....I don't think I'm looking at the same ISU and Iowa rosters you are if you think ISU could take the crown "next year".

If Iowa stays healthy (big if) they SHOULD (another big should) be pushing PSU for a team title. 

125- Lee

133- DeSanto

141- Renteria

149- Lugo

157- Young/Brands

165- Marinelli

174- Kemerer

184- Wilcke

197- Warner

HWT- Cassioppi

Freshman like Assad and Kennedy coming in to maybe push Wilcke. 

I agree that Dresser is on a major upward trend and definitely has the ability to contend with Iowa, but I just don't think it's coming next year.  

Cash Wilcke from Western Iowa!