Tomaco411

Flo wrestling subscriptions

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

Now I'm having visions of Sally Struthers begging for money to feed to hungry in Africa.

sally-struthers-african-children.jpg

hungry_kids___yeah_right_by_chongo_zilla

^ Dammit - there's those Christians again - always shoving their beliefs down our throats.

I can't afford BOTH Flowrestling and the Christian's Children Fund.  Those kids will just have to go hungry - I did when I was cutting weight and I turned out just fine!

3 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

^ Dammit - there's those Christians again - always shoving their beliefs down our throats.

I can't afford BOTH Flowrestling and the Christian's Children Fund.  Those kids will just have to go hungry - I did when I was cutting weight and I turned out just fine!

ahh ... there are folk on these hear forums that aren't so sure about that, probably depends on what your definition of 'fineis?  ;)

19 minutes ago, Tomaco411 said:

Please excuse my ignorance but I’m new to this site, and in all honesty I’m mostly here out of spite,  and a sense of public service(which I’m sure you guys hate), but was Flo ever more of  an enthusiast  site that was bought out by the bigger organization in an effort to monetize it?

Yes, at the outset it was just a few guys traveling the country capturing wrestling footage while also allowing users to upload their own footage. Even then, Flo wasn't void of criticism, there were plenty of copyright concerns and other issues.  Eventually, IIRC they took on funding from venture capitalists to facilitate growth and expand their operations.  Ultimately, their founder was removed from the company.  

Nevertheless, I'm sure the intent was always to monetize their product; that is what business is all about, after all.  And there is nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by ThorsteinV

5 minutes ago, Tomaco411 said:

You can make money ethically, maybe just not as much. 

Making it clear that the only subscription option is 1 year for $150 would be a good start, especially if, as many of you say, it’s worth it. 

When you signed up did you see any other options? 

9 hours ago, Tomaco411 said:

I really wanted to see the quarters of the Big10s last weekend so I figured I’d just drop $12.50 and watch them on Flowrestling. Only problem was that when I clicked to pay the $12.50,  it said I was signed up for a Year for $150 , $12.50 a month, so a total of $150.00. 

I didn’t even watch the quarters on Flo because I didn’t want them to say I watched and I’m responsible to pay the $150. After about 10 emails and phone calls, I finally got an email back, and they said they would refund everything but $29, what they say was their old monthly fee. So $29 for something I didn’t even watch, after trying to cancel within minutes of realizing I had been screwed out of $150  

So this is basically a warning about Flowrestling, their business practices are questionable and their return policy is horrible. 

The buck 50 is well worth it, do yourself a favor & keep the subscription. 

1 hour ago, scribe said:

I didn’t see an answer to this. 

They charged me for a month, so $29 and I can watch for a month, but I won’t as I’m more of a casual fan and will just watch the NCAAs on ESPN and call it a season. 

It’s interesting that people can’t defend their content and what they offer and still admit their tactics are unethical or at least misleading 

9 hours ago, russelscout said:

When you signed up did you see any other options? 

Due to their misleading 2 step process I saw the option I thought I wanted and quickly signed up to watch. 

It was less than clear, and I believe that was by design

It is written like there are more options, starting with the reasonable $12.50 that I was willing to pay to watch a couple of matches. 

They eluded to options, but there is only one! 

why can you not admit that is misleading?

Edited by Tomaco411

Check in to see if you’re pro until the end of the month. I have no problem with their subscription model. It’s their platform. But if they insist on charging you for the month, you should get that month. I cancelled and was charged for a month and I didn’t get that month. Theft is theft, even when in the hands of the willful incompetent. 

Flo is clearly continuing with their bait and switch ways, or are incompetent.  Knowing that they previously made cancellation of subscriptions difficult I took a look at their statement on billing recently to determine whether it was possible to cancel via my account or if I would have to call them (pain in the ass with my work hours). 

This is their billing statement, bolding mine:

We automatically bill your Payment Method each month or year on the calendar day corresponding to the commencement of your subscription (each such month, a “Monthly Period”, or year, a “Yearly Period”). In the event your subscription began on a day not contained in a given month, we bill your Payment Method on the last day of such month. For example, if you became a paying subscriber on January 31, your Payment Method would next be billed on February 28. If you change your Payment Method, this could result in changing the calendar day upon which you are billed. You acknowledge that the amount billed each Monthly Period or Yearly Period may vary due to promotional offers, changes in your subscription, and changes in applicable taxes, and you authorize us to charge your Payment Method for the corresponding amounts. If FloSports changes the subscription fee or other charges for your subscription, we will give you advance notice of these changes by email. However, we will not be able to notify you of changes in any applicable taxes.

At the very least they are lazy and have not made a concerted effort to update their terms of service since they stopped offering monthly subscriptions, but it's much more likely that they are counting on people signing up and then not paying attention to the fact that in reality they were billed for a year.

1 hour ago, Tomaco411 said:

They charged me for a month, so $29 and I can watch for a month, but I won’t as I’m more of a casual fan and will just watch the NCAAs on ESPN and call it a season. 

Since you've already paid for the month, you may want to check out some of their documentary-type films.  I think they might be a good watch - even for a  casual fan (https://www.flowrestling.org/films).

As to your main complaint, its unfortunate that consumers are sometimes mislead/confused by Flo (and other companies) offerings.  However, at the end of the day, one needs to be diligent and follow the old "caveat emptor" maxim.  (I myself was once taken by a woman in Atlanta for $250, a gold watch, and a ring - and didn't get any of the services I'd bargained for.  Best to chalk it up to experience and move on.  You're only out $29.)

3 hours ago, Tomaco411 said:

why can you not admit that is misleading?

Because I have worked in sales for a long time and retail in the past. I have no sympathy for people who dont make sure they know what they are buying. Like I said, no good business is going to try to talk you out of it.

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

Wrestling people are the cheapest people around. No one can make even a moderate amount of money off the sport and charging for something is a sin.

Actually, the powers that be keep letting ****ty businesses into the streaming areas of the sport. This dates back to cstv and the subscriptions you couldn’t get to stop without cancelling your credit card. 

Wrestling folks and how they would like to spend their dollars isn’t the main problem at all. 

I've worked in sports marketing the past 5 years.  I've worked on streaming products.  I marketed them.  It's misleading. I understand it because I was in the business, and because I'm also a subscriber and read the details.  But... It's absolutely misleading.  

I'm a consumer advocate by nature, and if the folks at Flo aren't more careful and/or more transparent, they run the risk of worse consequences than a forum argument.  This is how many consumer protection laws are dreamt up.  One person has one bad experience or believes a certain thing, and is a member of a state legislature, then presto, their change is buried in some bill and then companies have to comply.  

Best practice is to listen to the people that are willingly trading dollars for the service, and not defending questionable business practices.

i too thought i was signing up for a month and ended up getting charged $159, but I'm glad i got the subscription.

i saw a LOT of PIAA's and B10's. I hooked up an HDMI cable from my computer to my big screen TV, but the amount of time i spent reloading mats was outstanding! that's my biggest gripe, that and the non stop small spinning circles in the middle of every  mat that just did not go away after 3-4 days of watching.

looking forward to watching my first Dapper Dan classic on Friday as well.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Best practice is to listen to the people that are willingly trading dollars for the service, and not defending questionable business practices.

This.

Flo content is great but Flo all-the-rest is not great! There's tons of stuff that Flo can improve. But yet when diehards make critique Flobros say 'axe to grind' and Flo proponents turn it into CONTENT RULES AND NOTHING ELSE MATTERS nonsense. Tomaco411's post gives everyone an opportunity to discuss one of Flo's (numerous) targets for improvement. Improvement a good thing! Holy smokes.

Helpless-tribal mindset--"Flo is all we've got I make pro-Flo posts in order to counteract other folks' critical posts"--does Flo no favors, does fans no favors, does wrestling no favors.

Edited by jon

2 hours ago, jon said:

This.

Flo content is great but Flo all-the-rest is not great! There's tons of stuff that Flo can improve. But yet when diehards make critique Flobros say 'axe to grind' and Flo proponents turn it into CONTENT RULES AND NOTHING ELSE MATTERS nonsense. Tomaco411's post gives everyone an opportunity to discuss one of Flo's (numerous) targets for improvement. Improvement a good thing! Holy smokes.

Helpless-tribal mindset--"Flo is all we've got I make pro-Flo posts in order to counteract other folks' critical posts"--does Flo no favors, does fans no favors, does wrestling no favors.

In the same context, starting x-number of threads every time a new person is upset with something Flo does, doesn't do any favors in my opinion either. I think the opportunity used to be there, but it has unfortunately turned into threads and posts calling out Flo in a very negative way, or calling out the Flo guys in a very negative way. Most of what I see goes right past constructive criticism and straight to name calling. Do we really expect the people at Flo to take things seriously when there is a lack of professionalism? Or is it more that a poster wants their two-cents on how they disagree with what Flo is doing? Some people still give professional, constructive feedback but it gets lost in the overwhelming negative based posts.

Good points. This thread is downright exemplary... Good exemplars: Original post provides constructive feedback. Original poster's follow-up posts sling no mud... Bad exemplars: Some replies serve to blame the customer ("you should have read the fine print" lol). Some other replies totally miss the point ("$150 for Flo is well worth it" lol).

Threads providing Flo critique started by numerous persons. Each thread presents a different angle. Altogether these threads highlight targets for improvement! [N.B.: Number of threads started by me is zero.]

On this forum things turn tribal real fast (especially lately -- e.g., "NJ reins atop B1G" lol) but Flo discourse ought to be an exception! My stance: Do give praise when Flo does well, do give critique when Flo falls short. Not vice versa!

In the near future Flo may well clean up the sketchy wording on its sign-up page. Then they'll act as if they're doing customers a favor -- when actually it's this thread that does the favor. Thank you, Tomaco411!

Edited by jon