Frank Castle

McCoy Steps down. It is official

2 hours ago, Boompa said:

Imagine being a large donor at Maryland, similar to the PSU/Sanderson grab.

You can sweeten the pot 50-75 grand a year before camps.  That makes it a 200-225k a year job.  Easily 250k after camps.

You along with the AD are out to make a big hire but the olympic hopefuls are not in contention (Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Snyder).

Who do you go after?

Metcalf?

I think they’d be smart to go after Cunningham, perhaps he could bring Varner with him.  Jaggers could be an interesting guy there.  Esposito could be interested, he is from jersey.  But, I’m sure they will just hire Sheptock 

16 minutes ago, NJDan said:

What about Jordan Leen? 

He is from the South and he has coached in the area. He was the kind of kid who Maryland could possibly get. Plus, he trained under Koll.

I forgot about him.  He definitely has been instrumental in helping Virginia and now Pitt turn the corner.

I said in a different post... so I won't give a long explanation.  They should seriously consider going after JB.  Give him what he wants through the 2020 cycle in terms of training needs.  Let him bring in assistance to lay the foundation.  If he redshirts all the top current kids w/o a redshirt, and his recruits, they won't do any worse than they have.  Even with the assistance running the program under JB's guidance.  I doubt any recruits would care.  After the redshirt years he would be retired and ready to run it full on.  It is the kind of program he might leave Nebraska for.  Let him bring James Green with him.  JB is the only one that can pull the top recruits in the east away from Michigan, Ohio State, and PSU.  He won't get them all but I bet the top guys in waiting would go instead of sitting for 3 years.  He will be retiring after 2020 and that is assuming he beats out Dake, which won't be easy.  Green may not even make this world team and won't make the Olympic team if he brought him to MD with him.  I know everyone will probably think I am crazy for saying it, and I know it is a long shot, but they should at least throw the horseshoe at him.  With him being from NJ he would have that pull.  Plus after 2020, he will be snatched up in a heartbeat.  So grab him now if they can.  Give him what he needs to get through 2020 and lock him down.  He is probably the only one that could get the recruits needed to bring them up to a top team year in and year out.  Plus if he pulled a few of the recruits from the other programs and decreased their depth it would generate a little more parity.  Again it may be a longshot, but why not give it a shot. 

I’d think this would be a great candidate pool to find the next HC. None of the Olympic hopefuls are going to take on a D1 team, especially Burroughs whose goal is to take GOAT status from John Smith. 

Colat, Perry, Jaggers, Snyder, & Clemsen would all need to be actively recruited by UMD in order to leave the programs they’re at currently. I think the others on the list along with several others will apply & present interest. Not sure how committed the Athletic Department will be to aggressively hiring a great coach, would imagine they’ll let candidates come to them which rarely yields the best candidates. The best hires are often sought out & recruited away from a top tier program that they’re next in line for the job.

Cary Kolat

Mark Perry

J Jaggers

Scott Moore

Kevin Ward

Brent Metcalf

Brad Dillon

Alex Clemsen 

Jordan Leen

Bryan Snyder

Donny Pritzlaff

13 minutes ago, CrewWrestling said:

Not sure how committed the Athletic Department will be to aggressively hiring a great coach

That's the elephant in the room. 

McCoy was signed for a relatively high salary.  At the time it made sense, as he looked great on paper, and continued to look great his first 4-5 years.  Of course the AD at the Time, Debbie Yow (who just retired from NC State), loved the small/non-revenue sports, and didn't mind throwing down money for a minor sport. 

Yow is long gone now, and the UMD athletic department has had their hands full with a new AD, a new head FB coach, a dead football player, and disappointing attendance numbers for the cash cow sports.  Now I'm on the paranoid side at times, but I've been saying for a while that I could easily see the department simply axing the sport- although I think the league would not be OK with this. 

From what I heard, McCoy's base was north of 150K, which likely put him in pretty elite company. 

Well if they're looking for some positive press, maybe they can bring on Maroulis in some capacity (although looks like she lives in Cali now?)

Edited by 1032004

3 hours ago, CrewWrestling said:

I’d think this would be a great candidate pool to find the next HC. None of the Olympic hopefuls are going to take on a D1 team, especially Burroughs whose goal is to take GOAT status from John Smith. 

Colat, Perry, Jaggers, Snyder, & Clemsen would all need to be actively recruited by UMD in order to leave the programs they’re at currently. I think the others on the list along with several others will apply & present interest. Not sure how committed the Athletic Department will be to aggressively hiring a great coach, would imagine they’ll let candidates come to them which rarely yields the best candidates. The best hires are often sought out & recruited away from a top tier program that they’re next in line for the job.

Cary Kolat

Mark Perry

J Jaggers

Scott Moore

Kevin Ward

Brent Metcalf

Brad Dillon

Alex Clemsen 

Jordan Leen

Bryan Snyder

Donny Pritzlaff

Good list

2 hours ago, DrStrange said:

So long overdue. McCoy shouldn't have ever been hired as a coach anywhere. He isn't just a bad coach, he is a bad person. He is a bully, he abuses his athletes and he doesn't listen to anyone. He doesn't belong in wrestling anymore. 

Would you please be so kind as to delete your account?