Frank Castle

McCoy Steps down. It is official

4 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Best hire for an immediate swing would be Mark Perry. I wonder if he is interested? Unless he is waiting to succeed Brands or John Smith?

It would seem like now would be a good time to make a move to a head position. 

He has HC experience for a few years in California, did well at Illinois, and then moved to HWC most likely due to philosophical differences with Heffernan (not sure if it has ever become public knowledge why he left?

Are there any B1G openings in the pipeline other than Maryland? Would Perry go anywhere other than B1G? He strikes me as the type that wants to consistently compete against the best in order to drive results

2 hours ago, DrStrange said:

So long overdue. McCoy shouldn't have ever been hired as a coach anywhere. He isn't just a bad coach, he is a bad person. He is a bully, he abuses his athletes and he doesn't listen to anyone. He doesn't belong in wrestling anymore. 

Yikes, wow.  This runs contrary to what I've always heard, as most people say he's an absolute prince as a person (just not a good coach).  Of course it would explain a lot.  A team doesn't sink from being a top-10 contender to laughingstock in 10 years unless something is seriously, seriously wrong.  And as a Terp fan, I can assure you that this most certainly is the case.  McCoy has actually landed some decent recruiting classes over the years, but his wrestlers do not develop at all- in fact, most of them seem to get worse over their careers.  He also has a huge problem keeping guys on the team and on the mat. 

On that note, I think we need to issue Amber Alerts for Ryan Diehl (7 D1 matches this season), David-Brian Whisler (6 matches this season), and Kyle Cochran (no matches in over a year). 

2 hours ago, Boompa said:

Jeez...

I was somewhat joking, but even in seriousness I wouldn't be surprised if she would be a decent assistant.   And even as a HC she couldn't be much worse than McCoy.

21 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

So... are they willing to offer more than the ~$150k McCoy was getting?  

And... is Lucas Byrd now available?  

Not much money, but I'm sure they offered a lot of love and moral support.

14 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Well if they're looking for some positive press, maybe they can bring on Maroulis in some capacity (although looks like she lives in Cali now?)

Did you watch the flo documentary on Helen? I love her and think there is a lot of good she can do for the sport. She is a great technician. However, in one of those videos she talked about how it was a transition from wrestling women to wrestling boys because of the distribution of strength. There are things that work against girls that do not work against boys. She is an expert female wrestler, but those comments from her made me believe she is unqualified to coach a mens team, and that is nothing against her.

Just now, russelscout said:

Did you watch the flo documentary on Helen? I love her and think there is a lot of good she can do for the sport. She is a great technician. However, in one of those videos she talked about how it was a transition from wrestling women to wrestling boys because of the distribution of strength. There are things that work against girls that do not work against boys. She is an expert female wrestler, but those comments from her made me believe she is unqualified to coach a mens team, and that is nothing against her.

If she's a great technician somebody should give her a chance to coach the men. She may not be able to compete against men but she could certainly roll around with them, show them how to do things.

You really have sacrificed so much in the last few years. When will a lucky program be able to finally snatch you up?

Only thing I know for sure is this: it'll have to be a state with legalized marijuana and a college with a great agricultural program.

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

That doesn't necessarily mean she's not qualified to coach them, just that she's probably not qualified to beat them in a match

Just now, TobusRex said:

If she's a great technician somebody should give her a chance to coach the men. She may not be able to compete against men but she could certainly roll around with them, show them how to do things.

Because it is not the same thing. A female wrestler relies so much less on their upper body strength and weight is distributed differently. She wrestles at a high level, yes, but she would essentially view strategy differently would she not? I am not saying she couldn't be an asset to a team, but is that a factor that should be ignored?

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I was somewhat joking, but even in seriousness I wouldn't be surprised if she would be a decent assistant.   And even as a HC she couldn't be much worse than McCoy.

You obviously don't know how top 20 recruits and more importantly their pyscho dads think.

Because it is not the same thing. A female wrestler relies so much less on their upper body strength and weight is distributed differently. She wrestles at a high level, yes, but she would essentially view strategy differently would she not? I am not saying she couldn't be an asset to a team, but is that a factor that should be ignored?

Yeah, I think that can  be ignored. Technique is something that not everybody has. If she can teach guys to do stuff that can be done with lesser strength, imagine what they'll be able to do with that technique against other dudes? There are few wrestlers I respect more than wimpy looking dudes that somehow beat up on the meatheads.

Just now, gimpeltf said:

Given some of these comments- should a man coach women? Just because (in either direction) the use of strength is different doesn't mean one couldn't make the adjustment.

Why not? Long as he keeps it professional and doesn't abuse his authority I see no problem. Could be pretty awkward.

7 minutes ago, Boompa said:

You obviously don't know how top 20 recruits and more importantly their pyscho dads think.

What do their dads think?  For the recruits I assume you're referring to the fact that you think they'll try to sleep with her?   It's college, they'll have plenty of opportunities for that with other women.

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Given some of these comments- should a man coach women? Just because (in either direction) the use of strength is different doesn't mean one couldn't make the adjustment.

Good point. And I get what you are saying, but going forward there may be more women able to coach women. There wasn't a stable of female coaches in the waiting.

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah, I think that can  be ignored. Technique is something that not everybody has. If she can teach guys to do stuff that can be done with lesser strength, imagine what they'll be able to do with that technique against other dudes? There are few wrestlers I respect more than wimpy looking dudes that somehow beat up on the meatheads.

Yes, but that wimpy dude learned to deal with his strength deficit against strong opponents. Had he only wrestled other wimpy guys, I don't know that he would be prepared to wrestle someone strong, if that makes sense.

I am really not in disagreement with you guys. You have already convinced me to a degree. Playing devils advocate here a little.

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

What do their dads think?  For the recruits I assume you're referring to the fact that you think they'll try to sleep with her?   It's college, they'll have plenty of opportunities for that with other women.

Yeah you are thinking totally different than I am.

Kids and their dads are looking for coaches who not only can teach but also roll with their wrestlers and more specifically, coaches who can beat them.

Most top 20 guys have been dominant for a long time and many walk into D1 programs beating the other wrestlers.

It also helps hiring a coach who, WRESTLED IN AND HAS BEEN A COLLEGE COACH!

1 minute ago, Boompa said:

Yeah you are thinking totally different than I am.

Kids and their dads are looking for coaches who not only can teach but also roll with their wrestlers and more specifically, coaches who can beat them.

Most top 20 guys have been dominant for a long time and many walk into D1 programs beating the other wrestlers.

It also helps hiring a coach who, WRESTLED IN AND HAS BEEN A COLLEGE COACH!

Yet sometimes guys who are unheralded rise to the top as coaches. From what I understand Mike Leach never even played D1 football (he's one of my favorite coaches, btw). Ed Gallagher learned most of his wrestling from Sears Catalog advertised pamphlets. Dan Gable learned his skills from a homicidal, homeless wino behind a liquor store in Waterloo, Iowa. You just never know until you give a guy a shot what he can actually do.

4 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Yet sometimes guys who are unheralded rise to the top as coaches. From what I understand Mike Leach never even played D1 football (he's one of my favorite coaches, btw). Ed Gallagher learned most of his wrestling from Sears Catalog advertised pamphlets. Dan Gable learned his skills from a homicidal, homeless wino behind a liquor store in Waterloo, Iowa. You just never know until you give a guy a shot what he can actually do.

HAHA wth?!?

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

He has HC experience for a few years in California, did well at Illinois, and then moved to HWC most likely due to philosophical differences with Heffernan (not sure if it has ever become public knowledge why he left?

Are there any B1G openings in the pipeline other than Maryland? Would Perry go anywhere other than B1G? He strikes me as the type that wants to consistently compete against the best in order to drive results

Sure, Perry could go to maryland. then he could steal all their good guys and go to another, better program. Its not like he hasn't done that before.

By all accounts McCoy has represented the program well & is a good person.  He dug himself into a huge hole recruiting wise & never could rebound.  Who are the best / likely candidates for this job?  Who are the elite assistant coach recruiters who can fill the CEO type role?