Frank Castle

McCoy Steps down. It is official

13 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Narcissist. Abuser. Bully. Megalomaniac. I've never heard a single good thing about him from anyone, ever. 

That’s your personal experience with him? That’s what I was asking. 

13 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Narcissist. Abuser. Bully. Megalomaniac. I've never heard a single good thing about him from anyone, ever. 

I have met him on several occasions and done camps with him.  I dont know what he is like when he is in the room coaching, but outside of that I thought he was a pretty good guy, smart, and easy to talk to.  He seemed to genuinely want and care that USA did well in wrestling.

It’s pretty obvious Strange is either a complete troll, or has a personal issue with Kerry, to the point he will lie to bring him down. In his most recent reply he said “I’ve never heard a single good thing about him from anyone, ever”, yet preciously in this same thread he has responded and quoted people who had good things to say about him. So, I mean....says a lot, doesn’t it?

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

It’s pretty obvious Strange is either a complete troll, or has a personal issue with Kerry, to the point he will lie to bring him down. In his most recent reply he said “I’ve never heard a single good thing about him from anyone, ever”, yet preciously in this same thread he has responded and quoted people who had good things to say about him. So, I mean....says a lot, doesn’t it?

Aside from online forums, I've never heard someone say something good about him. Tell me, oh great troll police, what has he ever done to make you say he is a good guy? Does he donate his time to food banks? Does he give blood on the weekends? You seem pretty involved with him being a good guy, so please, make your case. 

10 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Aside from online forums, I've never heard someone say something good about him. Tell me, oh great troll police, what has he ever done to make you say he is a good guy? Does he donate his time to food banks? Does he give blood on the weekends? You seem pretty involved with him being a good guy, so please, make your case. 

About a year after I left the Training Center, I moved to Cali.  McCoy flew into LA from Maryland to do a free clinic in the Valley for Beat the Streets.  One of my wrestlers attended.  Dude stayed and did autographs and talked to everyone until the last kid was done.  Thats a long trip and a lot of personal time given away for free for someone you think is a scumbag.  Obviously he couldnt get the job done at Maryland, but there are plenty of examples of him being a decent human being who cares about the sport of wrestling.

1 hour ago, DrStrange said:

Actually just the opposite, I’ve interacted with him, but it’s been minimal. I haven’t said anywhere he’s a great guy, I’ve said everyone who’s worked with him closely has said so. You on the other had, have completely blasted him as a person, have lied in this very thread, and refuse to answer what your personal experience with him that has lead you to this. 

So basically, all I’ve really done is called you out for being a scumbag with no backing of your opinion of him other than he hasn’t been successful coaching for the last five-six years. (People seem to forget he was successful as a coach before Maryland joined the big 10). 

1 hour ago, DrStrange said:

Lets just all agree that its a great thing for wrestling that he is out.

Why, because you said so??  Again, let’s not forget his involvement with wrestling has spanned a little longer than the last five-six Years. Yes it was time for him to go at Maryland. It wasn’t working. And that’s really the end of it. He’s done a whole lot of good for the sport. Those are the facts, not whiny ass opinion of someone who doesn’t like him. 

5 hours ago, DrStrange said:

To be fair, if there is a pedastal for NOT ruining the lives and careers of hundreds of athletes over the past the past 13 years, I'd be on it. 

Sounds like a former wrestling dad.  I've seen this before.

I can't and won't agree with DrStrange by saying that McCoy is some sort of sick sociopath, a bully, a tyrant, etc.  I don't know Kerry McCoy, I don't personally know anyone who does, and I won't make assumptions about his character or integrity.  However, those who want to blame Maryland's problems on a few poor recruiting classes, and/or McCoy simply being the "wrong" coach for the school woefully underestimate the state of UMD's program.  Honestly, this program is so poorly run, for some time I honestly believed that we were facing a "Major League" situation, where someone was purposely trying to destroy the team.  It's so bad it would be funny- if the subjects weren't competitive young men who dreamed of on-mat success at a major university under a highly-regarded coach.

I've been following the Terps for a while now, and I am sorely tempted to hammer out a post detailing the injuries, the academic suspensions, the recruits who never set foot in the room, the lack of development, the unexplained absences of good wrestlers from the lineup or roster, the bizarre decisions, the shortsightedness, the complete lack of transparency and contempt for the fan base, etc. 

But I won't.  McCoy is gone- better late than never.  And I look forward to this program getting back on its feet.

9 hours ago, DrStrange said:

Are you another long island joker? One of his old college teammates? McCoy is one of the worst coaches in D1 history. Its been evident to anyone with eyeballs for the past 5+ years and his ego is what kept him there, ruining his athlete's careers. Sorry if your feel feels got hurt, but you are clearly a dumb ass loyal homer.

He has won ACC Championships. Worst D1 coach in history? You need your doctor's license revoked!

On 3/13/2019 at 4:12 PM, Boompa said:

Yeah you are thinking totally different than I am.

Kids and their dads are looking for coaches who not only can teach but also roll with their wrestlers and more specifically, coaches who can beat them.

Most top 20 guys have been dominant for a long time and many walk into D1 programs beating the other wrestlers.

It also helps hiring a coach who, WRESTLED IN AND HAS BEEN A COLLEGE COACH!

I promise you Kevin Dresser can’t beat anyone on his team. Guess what he did at both VT and ISU? Brought in assistants who could. 

On 3/14/2019 at 2:28 PM, DrStrange said:

For what hes done to the hopes and dreams of the athletes he "coached" he should be emasculated. He made himself out to be Mr. Good Coach, but turns out he is just a mental midget with no ability to make those around him better. He is a bad person. A good person would have quit 5 years ago. He is a professional joke. 

Do you have any evidence to support these claims, besides Maryland underperforming? 

What you are doing has consequences. You are attacking someone's character. If you have no evidence to support your claims, you should delete your posts and apologize. Otherwise I think we all know who’s character we should be judging. 

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Do you have any evidence to support these claims, besides Maryland underperforming? 

What you are doing has consequences. You are attacking someone's character. If you have no evidence to support your claims, you should delete your posts and apologize. Otherwise I think we all know who’s character we should be judging. 

Consequences? I am a random bum on a message board. If someone chooses to put weight into my words, that is 100% on them. Don't threaten me with your judgement because its something I have no regard for at all. I don't think you know how the internet works. 

Just now, DrStrange said:

Consequences? I am a random bum on a message board. If someone chooses to put weight into my words, that is 100% on them. Don't threaten me with your judgement because its something I have no regard for at all. I don't think you know how the internet works. 

Wow you are naive

As amusing as this back and forth is, back to the topic.   Whoever takes over at MD just saw their job get a bit more difficult: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6411533-1-lucas-byrd-reopens-recruitment

Say what you will about how nice a guy McCoy is, and how great he is for the sport.  There is no denying that he absolutely gutted this program.  With Bannister, Diehl, and Hemida graduating, they don't have a single NCAA qualifier on the roster.  Of the 38 guys listed on the roster, 4 had winning records this season- and 2 of them are Bannister and Hemida.  Even more disheartening, of these 38, a grand total of 8 had more than 20 matches this season.  Not wins.  Matches.  I seriously don't think a coach could run a team into the ground any harder if he tried. 

20 hours ago, Mr. Peepers said:

As amusing as this back and forth is, back to the topic.   Whoever takes over at MD just saw their job get a bit more difficult: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6411533-1-lucas-byrd-reopens-recruitment

Say what you will about how nice a guy McCoy is, and how great he is for the sport.  There is no denying that he absolutely gutted this program.  With Bannister, Diehl, and Hemida graduating, they don't have a single NCAA qualifier on the roster.  Of the 38 guys listed on the roster, 4 had winning records this season- and 2 of them are Bannister and Hemida.  Even more disheartening, of these 38, a grand total of 8 had more than 20 matches this season.  Not wins.  Matches.  I seriously don't think a coach could run a team into the ground any harder if he tried. 

ISU under Jackson wasn't that much better.

23 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Come on man. There are so many ways to impact USA wrestling outside of coaching. 

There are. I didnt say he would have no value. I was responding to the point where people were making it out like it is a giant loss to our sport. He was an incompetent coach. Why would he be some savior in another role? 

Edited by russelscout

On 3/26/2019 at 5:58 PM, Housebuye said:

Come on man. There are so many ways to impact USA wrestling outside of coaching. 

Like training and gameplanning to specifically defeat Neal in 2000, then being unprepared to to medal against foreign competition in the Olympics, thereby robbing USA Wrestling of the defending FILA wrestler of the year?