Frank Castle

McCoy Steps down. It is official

I'd really like to see Troy Nickerson land here. I'm not sure if he'd leave No. Colorado yet. He did just put together a really nice recruiting class that includes;

Andrew Alirez 1 @ 152
Drake Engelking 17th @ 170
Theorius Robison 7 @ 145
Mosha Schwartz 10th @ 126

Does anyone think he'd leave? Hypothetically, given the new transfer rules, would it be possible for all these guys to end their NLI or would No. Colorade be able to not release them?

13 hours ago, SalvatoreG said:

By all accounts McCoy has represented the program well & is a good person.  He dug himself into a huge hole recruiting wise & never could rebound.  Who are the best / likely candidates for this job?  Who are the elite assistant coach recruiters who can fill the CEO type role?

He's been there for a number of years, what kind of hole did he dig himself into?  Most coaches make recruiting errors.  I haven't seen many blue chips on their team over the past 10 years, have you?

Edited by pennsyrules

1 hour ago, pennsyrules said:
He's been there for a number of years, what kind of hole did he dig himself into?  Most coaches make recruiting errors.  I haven't seen many blue chips on their team over the past 10 years, have you?

Nope. Not since Santoro left. When he was at Maryland, you could see the influence of his strong roots to the Lehigh Valley and SW PA - the two strongest areas of the state.

Regarding McCoy... his placement at Maryland was pretty much orchestrated by Greg Strobel, when he stepped down at Lehigh. Santoro worked out his exit agreement at Maryland to go to Lehigh (for which he had an exit clause in his contract at MD), and Strobel made a call to McCoy (at Stanford) and got him connected with Maryland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

The internet joy when a good man and terrific representative of our sport loses his job is disheartening.   It may be that he just wasn't built for the cut-throat recruiting efforts required to build a strong B1G team.  Doesn't make him a bad guy.   Good luck to him going forward. 

7 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

The internet joy when a good man and terrific representative of our sport loses his job is disheartening.   It may be that he just wasn't built for the cut-throat recruiting efforts required to build a strong B1G team.  Doesn't make him a bad guy.   Good luck to him going forward. 

Is it really internet joy, or do fans of the sport want coaches held accountable for their record?  From all accounts McCoy is a great guy but he gets paid to coach and produce.  If wrestling fans want the sport to thrive you cannot just keep coaches with McCoy's record as a head coach. Maryland is a complete mess and a change should have been made a couple years earlier.  Look at this years Big10 tournament results.   Take out Hwt......the other 9 wrestlers went 0-25!!!  That is mind boggling.

33 minutes ago, Cementmixer103 said:

I'd really like to see Troy Nickerson land here. I'm not sure if he'd leave No. Colorado yet. He did just put together a really nice recruiting class that includes;

Andrew Alirez 1 @ 152
Theorius Robison 7 @ 145

Does anyone think he'd leave? Hypothetically, given the new transfer rules, would it be possible for all these guys to end their NLI or would No. Colorade be able to not release them?

Has Nickerson done a good job at Northern Colorado?

11 minutes ago, Roadkill said:

Is it really internet joy, or do fans of the sport want coaches held accountable for their record?  From all accounts McCoy is a great guy but he gets paid to coach and produce.  If wrestling fans want the sport to thrive you cannot just keep coaches with McCoy's record as a head coach. Maryland is a complete mess and a change should have been made a couple years earlier.  Look at this years Big10 tournament results.   Take out Hwt......the other 9 wrestlers went 0-25!!!  That is mind boggling.

Lots of good posts; some of derision, some of joy (with hymns even ).  The change is definitely correct and overdue. At the same time it can be sad.  The internet Go To is "take his job away" in every case.  Losing a job can be debilitating, emasculating, etc.  He seems like a decent human being.  I hope he finds his niche and contributes.  That's all. 

6 hours ago, TFBJR said:

Lots of good posts; some of derision, some of joy (with hymns even ).  The change is definitely correct and overdue. At the same time it can be sad.  The internet Go To is "take his job away" in every case.  Losing a job can be debilitating, emasculating, etc.  He seems like a decent human being.  I hope he finds his niche and contributes.  That's all. 

For what hes done to the hopes and dreams of the athletes he "coached" he should be emasculated. He made himself out to be Mr. Good Coach, but turns out he is just a mental midget with no ability to make those around him better. He is a bad person. A good person would have quit 5 years ago. He is a professional joke. 

6 hours ago, Roadkill said:

he owes every wrestler in his program a handwritten apology note for ruining their lives. Not kidding at all. 

23 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Would you please be so kind as to delete your account?

Are you another long island joker? One of his old college teammates? McCoy is one of the worst coaches in D1 history. Its been evident to anyone with eyeballs for the past 5+ years and his ego is what kept him there, ruining his athlete's careers. Sorry if your feel feels got hurt, but you are clearly a dumb ass loyal homer.

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Dr. Strange sits upon the pedestal...

"ruining their lives"......good humor!

To be fair, if there is a pedastal for NOT ruining the lives and careers of hundreds of athletes over the past the past 13 years, I'd be on it. 

7 hours ago, Cementmixer103 said:

Andrew Alirez 1 @ 152
Theorius Robison 7 @ 145

Nickerson is where he belongs - playing small ball at UNCO. He is just too short to be a Big 10 head coach. You have to interview with the ADs at big 10 programs, who are usually former basketball or football players. I know for a fact that these tiny 125 pounders gross them out. 

15 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Nickerson is where he belongs - playing small ball at UNCO. He is just too short to be a Big 10 head coach. You have to interview with the ADs at big 10 programs, who are usually former basketball or football players. I know for a fact that these tiny 125 pounders gross them out. 

Never hurt the brands brothers or Barry Davis. Lots of short coaches out there.

1 minute ago, teach said:

DrStrange I am assuming is a parent probably, or past athlete in the program?  If so I understand your feelings.  Tough to understand though otherwise.

wrong and wrong. whats tough to understand? hes a rotten apple. easy enough. 

48 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Never hurt the brands brothers or Barry Davis. Lots of short coaches out there.

Wisco was tired of letting that gorilla Russ into the office buildings.  He kept breaking stuff.   

Edited by stp

2 hours ago, DrStrange said:

wrong and wrong. whats tough to understand? hes a rotten apple. easy enough. 

So I’m just curious what your personal experience with him is that has formed your opinion, an opinion that goes directly against everything I’ve ever heard about him for decades from people who have worked with him. And I’m talking about his quality as a person, not a coach. Obviously the past 6-7 years, he hasn’t done himself any favors in the coaching ranks. But what’s your experience that leads to your stance that he’s this horrible person. I mean, unsuccessful college coaches in every sport all over. What make him so evil??

3 hours ago, DrStrange said:

Are you another long island joker? One of his old college teammates? McCoy is one of the worst coaches in D1 history. Its been evident to anyone with eyeballs for the past 5+ years and his ego is what kept him there, ruining his athlete's careers. Sorry if your feel feels got hurt, but you are clearly a dumb ass loyal homer.

I did grow up on Long Island, but did not ever know him while I was there. To say he's a bad coach is one thing, to say he's a bad person is quite another, and is wrong. Also, speaking as somebody who goes to the NWCA Coaches Convention every year, he's one of the most active coaches in the room at almost all times, asking questions, getting feedback, trying to make the sport better. He may not be a good fit as a coach, but, in my opinion, he'd be a GREAT administrator.

He may not have gotten the job done at the University of Maryland, but wrestling in the United States, at both the college and international levels, would be a far, far worse place without Kerry McCoy involved in it.

5 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

I did grow up on Long Island, but did not ever know him while I was there. To say he's a bad coach is one thing, to say he's a bad person is quite another, and is wrong. Also, speaking as somebody who goes to the NWCA Coaches Convention every year, he's one of the most active coaches in the room at almost all times, asking questions, getting feedback, trying to make the sport better. He may not be a good fit as a coach, but, in my opinion, he'd be a GREAT administrator.

He may not have gotten the job done at the University of Maryland, but wrestling in the United States, at both the college and international levels, would be a far, far worse place without Kerry McCoy involved in it.

He ran a program into the ground. Not speaking to his character, but I think wrestling will be fine without him.