Frank Castle

McCoy Steps down. It is official

5 hours ago, Boompa said:

ISU under Jackson wasn't that much better.

This is true, and I doubt I'm the only one who watched ISU's implosion with a mix of fascination and horror.  However, at the end of the day, Iowa State is still Iowa State, and is one of the truly legendary programs.  As bad as things got, there was always the devoted fan base that spanned generations, the generous boosters, the deep roots, and the support of the community.  With ISU, it was never a question of if they retuned to form, but when.  MD's program isn't nearly as entrenched as ISU's, and the local talent pool isn't nearly as rich or deep.  Several years ago, the UMD athletic department axed half a dozen sports as a cost-cutting measure.  From what I heard, wrestling wasn't considered- mainly due to the fact that they had just won back to back ACC championships and were averaging 2-3 AA's per year.  And I worry that with any sign of success quickly fading in the rearview mirror, the AD may just decide it's not worth the headache to rebuild. 

Of all the D1 programs, I think that Oregon State serves as a good comparison to MD's woes: old/historical program that has generally been successful, the last college program left in a 2nd tier but still solid wrestling state, fairly big name coach, an occasional hammer that AA's, but otherwise dismal results. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Peepers said:

This is true, and I doubt I'm the only one who watched ISU's implosion with a mix of fascination and horror.  However, at the end of the day, Iowa State is still Iowa State, and is one of the truly legendary programs.  As bad as things got, there was always the devoted fan base that spanned generations, the generous boosters, the deep roots, and the support of the community.  With ISU, it was never a question of if they retuned to form, but when.  MD's program isn't nearly as entrenched as ISU's, and the local talent pool isn't nearly as rich or deep.  Several years ago, the UMD athletic department axed half a dozen sports as a cost-cutting measure.  From what I heard, wrestling wasn't considered- mainly due to the fact that they had just won back to back ACC championships and were averaging 2-3 AA's per year.  And I worry that with any sign of success quickly fading in the rearview mirror, the AD may just decide it's not worth the headache to rebuild. 

Of all the D1 programs, I think that Oregon State serves as a good comparison to MD's woes: old/historical program that has generally been successful, the last college program left in a 2nd tier but still solid wrestling state, fairly big name coach, an occasional hammer that AA's, but otherwise dismal results. 

Maryland still has the Naval Academy, although I do believe it is part of their BIG contract that they have to support wrestling (as every team does in the BIG). Hopefully they get the right coach for the job.

7 hours ago, Mr. Peepers said:

I agree UMD is not ISU but geographically it's in a much better position.  UMD never struggled to attract kids just to the north like say.. Rutgers has to the west and is much closer than say UNC, VT, UVA and NC State.

It all depends on whether the athletic department looks at this as an opportunity.

On 3/14/2019 at 5:55 PM, DrStrange said:

Aside from online forums, I've never heard someone say something good about him. Tell me, oh great troll police, what has he ever done to make you say he is a good guy? Does he donate his time to food banks? Does he give blood on the weekends? You seem pretty involved with him being a good guy, so please, make your case. 

Outside these hallowed halls, I have not ever heard anything good about him either.

Nor have I heard anything bad.

My neighbors are more worried about producing good cattle and getting good crops to feed a hungry world. Those who have wrestled in school and who have kids wrestling pay some attention to the sport - but life gets in the way of worrying about Maryland, somehow.

Good luck to him moving forward. It is always frustrating when such hope does not work out after someone is hired.