fullnelson

45th NCAA in a row- annual post

I know there are others, like Gimp, who is one ahead of me; my first was at Princeton 1975.  And I know that Dan Gable must be approaching upper 50's in NCAA appearances. Who are others approaching these numbers, and how many will this be for you?

Impressive- you never missed.

I worked the event for many years with Dave Adams- NCAA 2nd in 56. He might be approaching his 60th. (I'll try to get him on fb). Rummy Macias former coach of Mankato State is in his 70s (trips) I believe. I think he's been there since before WWII.

Dave says this will be 64 for him. And Mankato State is currently known as Minnesota State- Mankato.

Edited by gimpeltf

My 18th overall.

My first was in St.Louis in 2000.  Watched Missourian's TJ Hill & Scott Schatzman AA.  Also got to see Cael win his 2nd Title.

Missed Iowa City & Albany and have attended every one since Kansas City in 2003.

Hoping for many more !!

Edited by Show_Me

41st for me, 35 in a row, 26th Big Ten Championship.....I was actually the one who talked to Sandy Stevens, originally. about having those stand during the finals who had been to at least 25 NCAA's, and then continue with the countdown...unfortunately Sandy isn't announcing the "BIG DANCE"/MARCH MATNESS ©" anymore.  Here's some proof of my attendance.....I have all my tickets/floor passes in a collection as well.

ncaaprograms18NCAAprograms2

Question for you old timers(I'm one of you).  My first NCAA was at Maryland in the 70's.  Who was the kid who I believe won at one of the upperweights who arrived in the USA from Cuba?.  I remember it was quite a story on how he got here(small boat across the ocean from Cuba).  Also, seem to remember him having a bad knee(thoughts of a 12 year old...

Edited by pennsyrules

6 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

Question for you old timers(I'm one of you).  My first NCAA was at Maryland in the 70's.  Who was the kid who I believe won at one of the upperweights who arrived in the USA from Cuba?.  I remember it was quite a story on how he got here(small boat across the ocean from Cuba).  Also, seem to remember him having a bad knee(thoughts of a 12 year old...

Santana of Iowa State?

47 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

Nice man cave!  Do you still use the pull up bar:)

Oh yea....that's a wrestling room, wt. room, workshop and ping pong table in a full basement....climbing rope, airdyne, wts, kettlebells, punching bag, wrestling dummy.... right now my grandkids have a ball down there, and my son has started one in his basement.....full wall mats, padded post too.  My kids grew up down there....that chinup bar was my first wt. set bar (York) back in 1961....it was a short bar, so I turned into a chinup bar years later when I got longer bars.

wtrm2

Edited by fadzaev2

45 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Santana of Iowa State?

Santana won it in 77 and was second in 76 and 78....bad knee those 2 years...3 time finalist ...beat Evan Johnson in the finals in 77....that NCAA was in Noble Arena...U of Oklahoma....my 3rd NCAA.

18 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Oh yea....that's a wrestling room, wt. room, workshop and ping pong table in a full basement....climbing rope, airdyne, wts, kettlebells, punching bag, wrestling dummy.... right now my grandkids have a ball down there, and my son has started one in his basement.....full wall mats, padded post too.  My kids grew up down there....that chinup bar was my first wt. set bar (York) back in 1961....it was a short bar, so I turned into a chinup bar years later when I got longer bars.

wtrm2

Won't see anything like that around here. Nobody has basements.

11 hours ago, Show_Me said:

My 19th overall.

My first was in St.Louis in 2000.  Only missed Albany in 2001 since then.

Hoping for many more !!

In Albany , actually 2002, Cael got #4, and Lambrecht Okla State, winning big, got pinned by Rob Rohn...tight floor space, but great tournament.

18 in a row here.

And as far as the "standing" thing - we did it in 2016, but the way the program got jammed up with ESPN and the in-house production, sometimes there wasn't the right spot to plug it. From my perspective, the hardest part is recognizing one or two people in a swarm of 18,000 who might be standing. I know Jimmy Keen is always there and he's at over 50 events, as is Rummy Macias. We're working on ways to try to keep that tradition alive, but the tournament has evolved so much over the years that the timing of those things has to be perfect. In 2016, when Hazard and I started announcing the event, that's one thing we really wanted to plug in, more or less, because it was something Sandy loved. We still try to do our best to pay homage to those who have announced before us. 

39 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Santana won it in 77 and was second in 76 and 78....bad knee those 2 years...3 time finalist ...beat Evan Johnson in the finals in 77....that NCAA was in Noble Arena...U of Oklahoma....my 3rd NCAA.

First- (This is not directed at fadzaev) op was talking about Maryland so I answered about that year.

In 78- he defaulted to Jeidy possibly costing Ia State the title. They lost by 0.5.

10 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

First- (This is not directed at fadzaev) op was talking about Maryland so I answered about that year.

In 78- he defaulted to Jeidy possibly costing Ia State the title. They lost by 0.5.

WOW....I forgot about the team score thing.....I liked both wrestlers, but I was a Jeidy fan....he had some good footsweeps......almost seems like that might have affected Frank Santana in that match....footsweeps/knee hurt.  Another of my all time favorites from Wisconsin, was Jimmy Haines 1977 NCAA Champion...he beat Mike McArthur in the finals....I think Mike had beaten him maybe 3 times that year (all-star match, dual and big 10).  MIke was tough on top, and Jimmy found a way to get out in the finals match....I discussed that with Russ Hellickson (then asst. at Wisconsin) and he said Jimmy worked hard preparing to get out.  That year Jimmy had 224 takedowns in 39 matches, thus earning the nickname takedown machine....I developed a some footage of Jimmy's takedowns that year, along with footage of another favorite ....Joe Gonzales....also a takedown machine.....what a great sport!!!!  Fadz

48 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

18 in a row here.

And as far as the "standing" thing - we did it in 2016, but the way the program got jammed up with ESPN and the in-house production, sometimes there wasn't the right spot to plug it. From my perspective, the hardest part is recognizing one or two people in a swarm of 18,000 who might be standing. I know Jimmy Keen is always there and he's at over 50 events, as is Rummy Macias. We're working on ways to try to keep that tradition alive, but the tournament has evolved so much over the years that the timing of those things has to be perfect. In 2016, when Hazard and I started announcing the event, that's one thing we really wanted to plug in, more or less, because it was something Sandy loved. We still try to do our best to pay homage to those who have announced before us. 

Actually, Jim Keen and the Keen family are good friends of mine....they were the ones that one year let me know how many he head been too.....started going with Cliff when he was young.....I just remembered it DID NOT happen last year.....forgot about that, and was disappointed...it is hard to spot people throughout the arena, but those around you get to see you and some others....I think it's added to people wanting to keep coming back, along with other things....the great wrestling, the best match going last, the smoke machines, raised platform for finals, FanFare, television/Flo/Track are adding to the awareness of our great sport, and the wrestling continues to get better....thanks for all you do Jason, and I hope you can work the "standing" thing in every year...people enjoy looking around and seeing those around them who are standing.....Fadz

1 hour ago, pennsyrules said:

Yes, that's the kid!  I believe there was an article about him(SI?) which told the story of him coming to the US with his family.  Did he win or 2nd?

Here's the SI article:  https://www.si.com/vault/1977/03/28/560886/same-state-different-champion

Frank Santana - Hall of Fame Class of 2010

And here's his Iowa State Hall of Fame bio:  https://cyclones.com/sports/2015/3/2/GEN_20140101309.aspx

1 hour ago, fadzaev2 said:

wtrm2

sweet set-up...gotta update the tv though

2 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Awesome, thanks for finding and sharing that.  Not bad results for a kid whose college coach said he's not the most "talented kid", huh?

Just now, stonerd7 said:

sweet set-up...gotta update the tv though

Yea but I can play DVD's and VHS tapes from my vast wrestling library in it while I'm riding the bike....I have a big screen/smart tv upstairs to watch FLO ,etc. on......LOL....nice observation though.