Jump to content
fullnelson

45th NCAA in a row- annual post

Recommended Posts

Pittsburgh will be my 17th.

First was Maryland in 1972 while in high school - got to see milkoviches, carl adams, ben peterson, wade schallles

Then long drought until 1990s and started going again - for a wreslting fan you can't beat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have been to 25 in a row.  My first one was when McIlravy went down in Iowa City.  

I also saw one in Ames before that, where Mike Land lost to Daryl Burley.

Edited by HoundedHawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HoundedHawk said:

I'll have been to 25 in a row.  My first one was when McIlravy went down in Iowa City.  

I also saw one in Ames before that, where Mike Land lost to Daryl Burley.

Oh yes, those were good ones.....I was sitting right by Mr. McIlravy during that match, and an usher was trying to move him from the railing....in his own arena....we were all trying to tell the usher who he was and to just leave him alone....let it go.  1979 in Ames....Gene Mills beat Joe Gonzales 16-13  great match, Lewis beat Azevado, Churella won his 3rd title (4 time AA) pinning Mike DeAnna after moving up 2 wts. his senior year.  And as you mentioned Burley upset land...Burley was a 4 time finalist, 2 time champion.  The matches between Burley and Lewis were great....so them wrestle at Midlands as well as other matches.  GOOD STUFF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, okwrestle said:

Pittsburgh will be my 17th.

First was Maryland in 1972 while in high school - got to see milkoviches, carl adams, ben peterson, wade schallles

Then long drought until 1990s and started going again - for a wreslting fan you can't beat it.

In 1972, Yoshiro Fujita (Okla. State), defending NCAA Champion, got hurt in the first round and was done......he was a great one....watched him wrestle at U of M that season....saw my first footsweep that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be my 17th...

1999 @ PSU, as a birthday gift to my dad.

2003-2019 (had tickets for 2009, but sold them when the due date for my first child fell on the opening day of the tourney)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Oh yea....that's a wrestling room, wt. room, workshop and ping pong table in a full basement....climbing rope, airdyne, wts, kettlebells, punching bag, wrestling dummy.... right now my grandkids have a ball down there, and my son has started one in his basement.....full wall mats, padded post too.  My kids grew up down there....that chinup bar was my first wt. set bar (York) back in 1961....it was a short bar, so I turned into a chinup bar years later when I got longer bars.

 

wtrm2

 

man, that is awesome....thanks for sharing!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fond memories of those first years-1975 at Princeton- Between sessions in the practice room was the best wrestling and exchange of ideas, techniques, etc. Greats of the past would show up and wrestle. Dan Gable would take on all comers as they lined up 40+ for the chance to go takedowns with him; he did that again at the 1975 World Coaches clinic in Mn, when Wade Shalles showed up in line. He hit a firemans on Dan, but Dan simply used the momentum of the shot to roll him thru, and Dan comes up holding 2 & 2, which is how freestyle would have scored it. Only time I've ever seen anyone do that technique. Anyway, I miss the early years of practice room exchange of ideas; learned a lot; I remember seeing Sergei Beloglazov playing with some of our best. Ask Chertow how it went.

Edited by fullnelson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fullnelson said:

Fond memories of those first years-1975 at Princeton- Between sessions in the practice room was the best wrestling and exchange of ideas, techniques, etc. Greats of the past would show up and wrestle. Dan Gable would take on all comers as they lined up 40+ for the chance to go takedowns with him; he did that again at the 1975 World Coaches clinic in Mn, when Wade Shalles showed up in line. He hit a firemans on Dan, but Dan simply used the momentum of the shot to roll him thru, and Dan comes up holding 2 & 2, which is how freestyle would have scored it. Only time I've ever seen anyone do that technique. Anyway, I miss the early years of practice room exchange of ideas; learned a lot; I remember seeing Sergei Beloglazov playing with some of our best. Ask Chertow how it went.

I saw that go down in the room at Maryland in 1990.  Sergei put on a clinic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gromit said:

I saw that go down in the room at Maryland in 1990.  Sergei put on a clinic.

In 1975 in Minneapolis (2 week Fila Clinic/Junior World Trials) I watched a session where he worked out with Stan Dziedzic (2 world champions going at it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

In 1975 in Minneapolis (2 week Fila Clinic/Junior World Trials) I watched a session where he worked out with Stan Dziedzic (2 world champions going at it).

 Dziedzic picked up his counter to Schalles's leg wrap counter to the single (while standing) from Muhammed Ghorbani (my asst coach and 71 World champ from Iran) that week (& he used it successfully in the 76 Trials against Wade).

Clinicians were Shozo Sasahara, Dan Gable, Bobby Douglas, and Yuri Shakmuradov; Stan tried to get Yuri to show more than he did, but he only showed low % fancy stuff you never saw used. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, fullnelson said:

 Dziedzic picked up his counter to Schalles's leg wrap counter to the single (while standing) from Muhammed Ghorbani (my asst coach and 71 World champ from Iran) that week (& he used it successfully in the 76 Trials against Wade).

Clinicians were Shozo Sasahara, Dan Gable, Bobby Douglas, and Yuri Shakmuradov; Stan tried to get Yuri to show more than he did, but he only showed low % fancy stuff you never saw used. 

I actually filmed that clinic, transferred it to video....no sound back then though!!!  Shakmuradov actually had an interpreter with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×