fadzaev2

Nolf vs. Rutherford

13 minutes ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

Zain Retherford made the world team while still in college.  Nolf lost to Jimmy Kennedy, a 133 in college.  Ergo, Retherford > Nolf.  

Not taking anything away from Zain as he still made the team, but overall 65KG is one of our weaker weights and JO was not there that particular year. Also, the key word there with Kennedy is "in college." Kennedy graduated in 2011 at 141 lbs. When he competed against Nolf at 70 KG it was 6 years later. Putting on 13 lbs in 6 years is pretty realistic. That is like saying someone who loses to Taylor at 86kg lost to a 157 guy in college. Taylor grew and so do other people. Overall I think it would be a heck of a match up.  

7 minutes ago, gopher_fan_90 said:

Not taking anything away from Zain as he still made the team, but overall 65KG is one of our weaker weights and JO was not there that particular year. Also, the key word there with Kennedy is "in college." Kennedy graduated in 2011 at 141 lbs. When he competed against Nolf at 70 KG it was 6 years later. Putting on 13 lbs in 6 years is pretty realistic. That is like saying someone who loses to Taylor at 86kg lost to a 157 guy in college. Taylor grew and so do other people. Overall I think it would be a heck of a match up.  

Retherford is also much better on top than Nolf.  Plus, if Jesus is busy with other business that day and isn't paying attention to their live-go in the room, Nolf could be in trouble!  

33 minutes ago, tightwaist said:

I would too.  Have to think that Nolf is just too creative & athletic to not get the better of Zain, 6 out of 10 times.  

I'm not sure about that, but I have to admit, you put a big smile on my face.....I love it....what a great sport.

There is a fairly good chance we will see some of the PSU guys against each other at the Olympic trials.

I think Nolf might be at 74kg though so doubt he sees Zain

My name is Housebuye. I watch a lot of wrestling, but as Pish says, I don’t know what the hell I’m watching.

4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Rutherford B Hayes wrestled? 

His predecessor, Ulys Grant(as his friends called him) did some wrestling at AWP., And Grant's elected predecessor was a famous wrestler, but RBH did not attend AWP so he might not have wrestled

4 hours ago, pennsyrules said:

Didn't I hear that Iowa allows the public to watch their practices?  Do other schools allow this?  Cael seems very private with his team and workouts.

Yup. Got to see challenge matches there one year and it was great. Also made me like some of their guys that I'd rather not like (Brands, Gilman) after seeing them engaging with the kids in the crowd.

4 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

I'd pay to see Nolf workout with Rutherford....not even asking for a "match", a workout would be more fun for me!!!!

Rutherford would go nuclear on him.

4 hours ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

Retherford is also much better on top than Nolf.  Plus, if Jesus is busy with other business that day and isn't paying attention to their live-go in the room, Nolf could be in trouble!  

Well, Jesus has been out of town a lot lately - helping the Bull as I understand it.

th?id=OIP.ojafQEnH68McZmNm4rg_RQHaFj&pid=15.1&P=0&w=215&h=162

3 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Well, Jesus has been out of town a lot lately - helping the Bull as I understand it.

Usually Iowa is against Jesus. I can prove it.

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/VideoPlayer.jsp?matchId=6417202132

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5098708-1993-world-championships-terry-brands-vs-jesus-wilson

Sorry guys, gotta row the other way on this one. I think Zain would've caught up to Nolf in regulation and beaten him in OT. Love me some Nolf and consider him a top 10 worth all timer, but Zain was a monster. Nolf is just a monster...ugh. Wolfman vs Frankenstein type thing here, but going with Frankenstein.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

"For Lo the bald one was in their midst. The special one. The lamb of God. The fruit of Gable. Dan Gable, not Gable Steveson. And the bull gored all that stood in his way and trampled the Lords of the Earth under his hooves" - Tbar 3:16

If it was a folkstyle match and they met somewhere in between like say 153lbs I think I'd take Rutherford. I love Nolf and think he's easily the most exciting wrestler to watch, but I am not convinced that his creativity and style translates super well to freestyle and in folk he's prone to giving up TD's (just because he knows he can outscore pretty much anyone on their feet) and being ridden and those are both strengths of Zain. 

People mention what a great match 157-Dake would be with Nolf. I also would have loved to see someone like Jason Welch vs. Nolf, thinking that maybe the funk could create some interesting scramble situations or counters to Nolf's slickness. The strength disparity might be too much though, I think Nolf is too strong.

As much as I love me some Zain, I think Dake would've taken him. Dake was a freak. He was a physical, athletic monster tougher, stronger than anybody in his weight class, plus a master of defensive wrestling and scrambling. Kyle Dake is easily my pick as the greatest 4 timer. By the time he's done he'll blow Cael's international achievements out of the water.

Edited by TobusRex

So many matchups I would have liked to see in that room. Nolf vs Retherford. Nickal vs Taylor. Ruth vs Taylor (folkstyle only... the one freestyle match they wrestled was so poorly officiated that I couldn't take anything from it, although it is noticeable that Ruth wasn't great at freestyle). Probably some others I can't think of off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

I was wondering who Jesus was training. There's about 6 guys on my street here in Las Cruces, New Mexico, who are named "Jesus". 2 of them are gay and huge fans of the Texas Longhorns.

It's not one of the Longhorn guys, is it? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Edited by TobusRex

I think people are misinterpreting Marinelli’s shirt, which states a fact, that Jesus trained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

As much as I love me some Zain, I think Dake would've taken him. Dake was a freak. He was a physical, athletic monster tougher, stronger than anybody in his weight class, plus a master of defensive wrestling and scrambling. Kyle Dake is easily my pick as the greatest 4 timer. By the time he's done he'll blow Cael's international achievements out of the water.

Interesting take on Dake considering how long it has taken him to make a world team. Does he go up or down for the Olympic Trials? I am guessing down to go against Burroughs but he could go up and get Taylor again but that might depend on if Cox comes down to 86 or goes up to 97. Next Olympic team will be interesting.

I have heard that Nolf doesn’t go hard in practice in the standard sense. He is experimenting and creating more than full out competitive live go’s. By contrast, Zain has no chill and is full on like go all the time. I think there was a Mark Hall interview that indicated that.