Sign in to follow this  
closer617

Will Dake v Taylor even happen?

1. That was last year and Yates has gotten much better. (I know Taylor has as well)

2. Yates was able to get in on Taylor multiple times, which few can do. If he can just finish, which he was close to doing, he can stay off of bottom, where Taylor wears everyone out.

3. Yates has looked very good this year, and beat up on Bubby Graham in the process, as mentioned by HokieToph above.

4. I am a big fan of Yates. I watched him win all of his state titles in Georgia, where I'm from. (My Senior year of high school he was a freshman, so I wrestled in the same state tourney as him once).

What is so crazy about picking a number 3 seed to upset a number 2 seed, even if it is David Taylor? I think Taylor could get caught off guard in the semis, because the pressure will be on and he will possibly be thinking of Dake, and the fact that they are going to be the "main event" for the finals.

1. That was last year and Yates has gotten much better. (I know Taylor has as well)

2. Yates was able to get in on Taylor multiple times, which few can do. If he can just finish, which he was close to doing, he can stay off of bottom, where Taylor wears everyone out.

3. Yates has looked very good this year, and beat up on Bubby Graham in the process, as mentioned by HokieToph above.

4. I am a big fan of Yates. I watched him win all of his state titles in Georgia, where I'm from. (My Senior year of high school he was a freshman, so I wrestled in the same state tourney as him once).

What is so crazy about picking a number 3 seed to upset a number 2 seed, even if it is David Taylor? I think Taylor could get caught off guard in the semis, because the pressure will be on and he will possibly be thinking of Dake, and the fact that they are going to be the "main event" for the finals.

1. If you know Taylor has as well, then this point means nothing.

2. You are making a big leap here. "If he can just finish..". Also, he can stay off bottom? If you think he is stopping Taylor from taking him down you are just kidding yourself.

3. Yates has looked good, I agree. BUt he hasn't faced Taylor (or Dake)...and Bubby Graham is nowhere near David Taylor - so this point is also pointless.

4. Obviously you are a big fan of Yates, but you are being way wayyyy to biased here.

Picking a #3 to upset a #2 is not crazy normally...but it is crazy when it is David Taylor at the #2 spot - he is simply that much better than Yates...sorry. Finally, Taylor will not be looking ahead, you can count on that. With Cael in his corner he is not going to be taking things lightly - he will be up for every match, and dominate as usual.

Well, you are on record at least with your bold pick. You have every right to make that pick too. I don't agree with it, but that is another story.

Let me also say that I think it is disrespectful to Yates, and the other 29 wrestlers competing in the 165 lb weight class, that the NCAA/ESPN is billing Dake vs Taylor for the main event before the tournament has even started. I like the idea, but wait until after the semifinals are done to do this. I think even PSU and Cornell fans can agree with me on this one.

Let me also say that I think it is disrespectful to Yates, and the other 29 wrestlers competing in the 165 lb weight class, that the NCAA/ESPN is billing Dake vs Taylor for the main event before the tournament has even started. I like the idea, but wait until after the semifinals are done to do this. I think even PSU and Cornell fans can agree with me on this one.

Keep this in its own thread, and no they can't - because there is a reason it was done now and not after the semis.

Also, that is not what is happening. The match was set that way for Dake's possible accomplishment more than the Dake v Taylor match. Also it is not disrespectful...it was proposed by ESPN (who runs the coverage of the event) as a way to up the ratings - it is that simple. Not disrespectful to Yates, or anyone else - let it go...or continue to argue it in its own thread where all the points you just brought up here have been addressed.

Yes I'm biased, but am I not allowed to make a biased prediction against David Taylor the great? You can all tell me how stupid I am when/if I am wrong.

Seriously, a 3 seed beating a 2 seed. Never would I dream of such a travesty happening.

Yes I'm biased, but am I not allowed to make a biased prediction against David Taylor the great? You can all tell me how stupid I am when/if I am wrong.

Seriously, a 3 seed beating a 2 seed. Never would I dream of such a travesty happening.

Yes, you are. But I repeatedly asked you why you think this, and all the reasoning you gave fell flat. If you wanna just say "I have a feeling Yates wins"...fine. But you tried to propose all these reasons which made no sense.

I already addressed the #3 beating a #2 thing..but heck I'll do it again. This is not a usual #3 v #2 match-up, which you know. Taylor (#2) is far and away better than Yates (#3), period. Im sorry if this is sounding harsh...but this is nothing but a flat-out homer/wishful thinking pick.

There is nothing from Yates to suggest he is on Taylor's level.

Well your name "Pa-fan" suggests that you are biased as well, and just because you replied to my reasoning as to why I think Yates will win, doesn't mean you disproved them.

Sure im biased...but Im not picking a PA guy to beat Taylor.

And I disagree...I think I clearly shot down all of your points. I invite you to counter my counters if you disagree. :D

Okay , here ya go:

1. Yates has improved greatly from last season. His record and dominant wins are evidence to this. I have seen nothing that shows me Taylor has improved. I was just saying that because I knew you counter argument would be, "as of Taylor has not" I know it's hard to improve Taylor's season last year, but he is no more dominant than he was, but he does have 2 more losses than he did last year (one official and one not). I know it was against a stud, but still a loss, none the less.

2. If he has improved greatly since last year, then maybe it is not the "big leap" that you make it out to be, and he has improved enough to finish on Taylor, which he was close to doing multiple times. I also believe Yates, with his improved skills can slow Taylor down on his feet. Dake has done it. In fact I bet he is watching tape, and practicing Dakes two on one/Russian, which slowed Taylor down on his feet.

So, Yates gets that takedown(s) I've been talking about, slows/shortens the match with the 2 on one/Russian, then he can stay off bottom and possibly and have more takedown than Taylor at the end of the match. That is how he can beat Dake.

3. It's not his fault that he hasn't wrestled Taylor or Dake to prove that he is right there with them, if he indeed is.

4, Me being a fan has nothing to do with it do I'll give ya this one.

Edit: Typo

I aven't seen Yates wrestle this year, but get to see Bubby Graham regularly. Yates beating Graham soundly at the national duals was impressive.

But,let's look at the the two guys who've wrestled both Dake and Taylor this year. Tyler Caldwell and Bubby 'Graham. Both are solid wrestlers, with Caldwell finishing 2nd to Burroughs two years ago who absolutely handled him. Neither Caldwell or Graham came close to winning against Dake or Tayior.

It is not inconceivable that Yates beats Taylor, but I wouldn't bet any amount of money on it unless I was given astronomically high odds that made the risk/reward exceptionally high. Kind of like buying a lottery ticket that would get you $200 million before discounting for time and taxes, the chances are miniscule, but if you don't buy one you can't possibly win. Great for ESPN. Years ago we'd get parts of matches on delayed tape. Now we get live coverage of the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals, plus ESPN3 for the first two rounds. This is great for wrestling. The common sports fan who doesn't follow wrestling can tune in at an approximate time and know he is going to see the matchup of a lifetime. Now it may turn out to be a dull match, but somehow I think David Taylor will attack and attack, and Dake will stay in good position and fight off his attempts. As long as there are a lot of exciting scrambles it will be good for wrestling.

Okay , here ya go:

1. Yates has improved greatly from last season. His record and dominant wins are evidence to this. I have seen nothing that shows me Taylor has improved. I was just saying that because I knew you counter argument would be, "as of Taylor has not" I know it's hard to improve Taylor's season last year, but he is no more dominant than he was, but he does have 2 more losses than he did last year (one official and one not). I know it was against a stud, but still a loss, none the less.

2. If he has improved greatly since last year, then maybe it is not the "big leap" that you make it out to be, and he has improved enough to finish on Taylor, which he was close to doing multiple times. I also believe Yates, with his improved skills can slow Taylor down on his feet. Dake has done it. In fact I bet he is watching tape, and practicing Dakes two on one/Russian, which slowed Taylor down on his feet.

So, Yates gets that takedown(s) I've been talking about, slows/shortens the match with the 2 on one/Russian, then he can stay off bottom and possibly and have more takedown than Taylor at the end of the match. That is how he can beat Dake.

3. It's not his fault that he hasn't wrestled Taylor or Dake to prove that he is right there with them, if he indeed is.

4, Me being a fan has nothing to do with it do I'll give ya this one.

1. Even if Taylor is absolutely no better than he was last year...him last season is still untouchable to Yates this year. So, Taylor doesn't need to improve on his season last year to still be miles ahead of Yates.

2. So not only is Yates now good enough to td Taylor...which not many people - including Kyle Dake in 2 matches this season - have done. But he is also going to slow down Taylor's attacks enough to have more tds at the end of the match? Come on :lol:

The fact is that you are putting sooooo much weight on Yates getting in on Taylor's leg twice in the begging of their match...even though he was nowhere near finishing either time. And no since he is having a better season this year (while not wrestling Taylor or Dake), all of a sudden he can now finish on Taylor and stop Taylor's offense. :roll: More than that...Taylor finished easily when he got in - as he does to everyone he wrestles not names Kyle (or Bubba).

3. No it isn't his fault he hasn't yet wrestled them, but they have common opponents, as well as a head to head match that was a massacre, to prove that he is not "right there" with Taylor. Being right there doesn't mean being able to get in on someone's leg, and not finish, twice - then give up 4 tds and a reversal and get pinned - sorry.

This all leads to:

4. You are being a huge homer / wishful thinker here. The fact is there is nothing, nothing at all, to show that Yates has even closed the gap with Taylor, let alone that he can beat him.

So like I said, make your pick and stick with it...that is all well and good. Just know you have no legitimate ground to stand on when the facts are considered.

I've watched Yates a few times this year and I watched their match at PSU open last year. Yates had a good first period against DT (as good as anyone has had in the last two years minus KD), but it was all Taylor after that. I think Yates has improved immensely, he is an absolute monster for size and strength at the weight and I think he will give Taylor a good go but once Taylor is firing on all cylinders I think he will again show that he is a few levels above. We'll see though. I don't think the prediction is off the planet if you've seen Yates this year. Both Taylor and Dake will have very tough semis matchups if seeds hold.

Then could it not also lead to you being a "homer/wishful thinker". Because you are a Penn State fan and therefore also probably a fan of Taylor. That's no different than me being a fan of Yates. Perhaps you are just seeing things through blue and white glasses. Even

Longshot admits that HW "has improved immensely and is a monster for size and strength at that weight". Have you even seen Yates this year? Because I have and I can tell when a wrestler is on another level like Yates is.

Edit:typo

Its not a homer for PA if he says a possible top 10wrestler wrestler ever, will crush Pete Yates. Taylor loses to Dake twice by a nut hair (2nd match I think he was better than Dake), and now all of a sudden people call for an upset of Taylor. He MURDERS everyone but Dake, but he's on upset alert. People are a joke. Lmao.

Nothing about Taylor tells me he is one of the top ten wrestlers ever. How many championships has he won? I big one. How many will he have after this tournament, as he most likely will have the same amount, because if he doesn't lose to Yates he will most likely to lose to Dake. 1. There's a lot of people I would put in front of him if everyone who's wrestled. I can definitely think of ten. Not is he even near the top ten wrestlers of all time.

I think he'll keep it closer with Dake than it was with Taylor. But Dake will never be in threat during the match, IF it happens.

In response to the post above. Taylor has a lot, LOT of bonus matches. Is there stats on most bonus point matches in college??

Nothing about Taylor tells me he is one of the top ten wrestlers ever. How many championships has he won? I big one. How many will he have after this tournament, as he most likely will have the same amount, because if he doesn't lose to Yates he will most likely to lose to Dake. 1. There's a lot of people I would put in front of him if everyone who's wrestled. I can definitely think of ten. Not is he even near the top ten wrestlers of all time.

You have to remember at this point it is just speculation, based on his accomplishments thus far. Lets run through them:

97-2 in his career, 3 time B10 Champ, 2 time B10 wrestler of the Year, 2 time NCAA finalist, 1 time champ, Hodge winner. (Most likely, barring any injury, going to be a 4 time finalist and 2 time champ at least - 3 time champ if he beats Dake)

This without a doubt is one of the best starts to a career ever, so it is not unreasonable to project he could end up as one of the 10 best NCAA wrestlers ever. Not to mention the amount of bonus points he scores...its insane.

Then could it not also lead to you being a "homer/wishful thinker". Because you are a Penn State fan and therefore also probably a fan of Taylor. That's no different than me being a fan of Yates. Perhaps you are just seeing things through blue and white glasses. Even

Longshot admits that HW "has improved immensely and is a monster for size and strength at that weight". Have you even seen Yates this year? Because I have and I can tell when a wrestler is on another level like Yates is.

Edit:typo

To address why you are being a homer by picking Yates, and I am not by picking Taylor, lets take a look at Yates career in comparison:

121-26, 2 time ACC Finalist, 1 time champ, 1 time AA (5th place). (Most likely going to be a 2 time AA)

Now, this is a fine career, no doubt. But in comparison...well there just is no comparison. This is not me "seeing thing through blue and white glasses" - this is black and white comparison..which gets even stronger when you consider Taylor beats common opponents worse and has a head to head win where he crushed Yates.