pennsyrules

Sorry, not PSU or Iowa related

I realize there is no interest in other teams other than a couple, but has anyone noticed that George Mason seems to be improving their product on the mat.  Also, they seem to have gotten a couple good recruits coming in.  What's the story down there?  Any George Mason fans or followers?

George Mason has a wrestling program?

Just kidding. You are right, most people don't pay much attention to the teams at the bottom of the heap, but there is movement there. One of my favorites is OU, they are showing signs of life again.

Do you see George Mason becoming sort of an "American" story like 10 years or so ago, when Cody's American University team was top 10?

George Mason fans could possibly not even open this thread. 

Hahaha

I think they are getting a top 3 ranked recruit next season

My name is Housebuye. I watch a lot of wrestling, but as Pish says, I don’t know what the hell I’m watching.

46 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Hahaha

I think they are getting a top 3 ranked recruit next season

My name is Housebuye. I watch a lot of wrestling, but as Pish says, I don’t know what the hell I’m watching.

Yes, I know they got Ryan Vulkah from Pa.  AA champ.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

No, I hadn't noticed.  I am only vaguely aware that it is a university.  Where is it located and who are some wrestling alumni? 

It is where the Mason jar was invented?

Home of the Masonic Lodges worldwide?

2 hours ago, pennsyrules said:

I realize there is no interest in other teams other than a couple, but has anyone noticed that George Mason seems to be improving their product on the mat.  Also, they seem to have gotten a couple good recruits coming in.  What's the story down there?  Any George Mason fans or followers?

Coach Beasley has things headed in right direction at GMU. Assistant under Pop at N.C. St and Binghamton prior. 

GMU is in Fairfax, VA about 20 minutes Southwest of Washington, DC.  They've had a D1 program since the 1970's, and they've had 3 All-Americans over the years (Scott Kirsh, John Curtis and Matt Finacchio).  Mike Moyer (NWCA) was the coach for many years followed by Brian Shaffer, Mark Weader, Joe Russell (USA Wrestling) and now Frank Beasley (catalyst for Binghamton and NC State rise with Popolizio).  He, Camden Eppert, Mason Beckman  and Beau Donahue have done a great job creating a culture and recruit as well as anyone in the country!

You also may remember their final 4 appearance in basketball several years ago! 

It is an awesome school with many Noble prize professors.  I am biased, but the school is a diamond!

Here is an old link to their history.  http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gema/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/history.pdf

2 hours ago, pennsyrules said:

Frank Beasley is proving to be a hell of a hire.  Seems to me he learned from Pop how to build a culture, and kids are buying in.  He's put together an extremely young staff that, while not having the most incredible accomplishment on the mat, is filled with former leaders, captains, academic all americans, and all around solid guys.  Beckman, Epperly, Donahue... even Billy Cook who's running ops. 

All things pointing up for GMU.  I always forget they're a public university... could they have a similar rise to Binghamton under Pop?  I think so. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

54 minutes ago, Bhazard said:

GMU is in Fairfax, VA about 20 minutes Southwest of Washington, DC.  They've had a D1 program since the 1970's, and they've had 3 All-Americans over the years (Scott Kirsh, John Curtis and Matt Finacchio).  Mike Moyer (NWCA) was the coach for many years followed by Brian Shaffer, Mark Weader, Joe Russell (USA Wrestling) and now Frank Beasley (catalyst for Binghamton and NC State rise with Popolizio).  He, Camden Eppert, Mason Beckman  and Beau Donahue have done a great job creating a culture and recruit as well as anyone in the country!

You also may remember their final 4 appearance in basketball several years ago! 

It is an awesome school with many Noble prize professors.  I am biased, but the school is a diamond!

Here is an old link to their history.  http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gema/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/history.pdf

Bhazard, I remember Matt and his older brother Dan from high school here in PA. Dan was a PIAA State Champ. Matt came real close but never won it all. Both won well over 100 times in high school. Dan is the guy that beat Joey Wildasin handing him his only high school loss. 

Edited by TBar1977

8 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

It is where the Mason jar was invented?

Home of the Masonic Lodges worldwide?

I only know of them because of that final four run they had years back in that sport I won’t mention.

Prior to Beasley, Joe Russell was working on turning this program around....Joe was a LONG TIME assistant with Jay Robinson....the opportunity came for him to join the USA Wrestling Coaching Staff in 2017, so he left George Mason to join the USA staff....

https://gomason.com/news/2017/5/26/wrestling-coach-joe-russell-steps-down-to-accept-national-coaching-position.aspx

On 3/13/2019 at 12:02 PM, pennsyrules said:

Yes, I know they got Ryan Vulkah from Pa.  AA champ.

Now going to Rutgers, so still not PSU or Iowa related.

Wonder if Rutgers was who Beckman was complaining about.

You guys are giving Pop way too much credit. Frank Beasley was the main reason NCS had that #1 recruiting class in 2016. He is a very good recruiter and a nice guy. He is the main reason Hayden Hidley went to NCS. Pop is a terrible recruiter, that is not his strength, but it is Beasley’s. 

We will see how NCS does after the 2016 class graduates. 

1 hour ago, BigD236 said:

You guys are giving Pop way too much credit. Frank Beasley was the main reason NCS had that #1 recruiting class in 2016. He is a very good recruiter and a nice guy. He is the main reason Hayden Hidley went to NCS. Pop is a terrible recruiter, that is not his strength, but it is Beasley’s. 

We will see how NCS does after the 2016 class graduates. 

That's a ridiculous take.