pennsyrules

Sorry, not PSU or Iowa related

GMU is under fire for letting the Koch brothers not only impact hiring and admission decisions but also the actual curriculum included in the classrooms. Will be interesting to see what impact that has on the university and athletic programs. Probably not just isolated to GMU but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/05/us/koch-donors-george-mason.html

1 hour ago, BigD236 said:

Well, what’s your take?  Because I witnessed the recruiting at State. And I am not saying it is good or bad, just that Beasley did most of the work.

Yes, you're right... that was quite literally his job, Associate Head Coach and Recruiting Coordinator. 

Pop leveraging Beasley's strengths to spearhead their recruiting efforts doesn't make him a "terrilble recruitier," and if Beasley was the only reason the Hidlay brothers went to NC State, why didn't they follow him to GMU?  Their Class of 2019 was solid and they already have two top 30 guys in their Class of 2020.  They're going to be just fine, as is Beasley.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

On 3/13/2019 at 5:09 PM, Bhazard said:

GMU is in Fairfax, VA about 20 minutes Southwest of Washington, DC.  They've had a D1 program since the 1970's, and they've had 3 All-Americans over the years (Scott Kirsh, John Curtis and Matt Finacchio).  Mike Moyer (NWCA) was the coach for many years followed by Brian Shaffer, Mark Weader, Joe Russell (USA Wrestling) and now Frank Beasley (catalyst for Binghamton and NC State rise with Popolizio).  He, Camden Eppert, Mason Beckman  and Beau Donahue have done a great job creating a culture and recruit as well as anyone in the country!

You also may remember their final 4 appearance in basketball several years ago! 

It is an awesome school with many Noble prize professors.  I am biased, but the school is a diamond!

Here is an old link to their history.  http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gema/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/history.pdf

Plus one of their wrestlers transferred to Oklahoma State and became an AA there. Can't remember his name, wasn't that long ago (5-10 years, maybe).

16 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Plus one of their wrestlers transferred to Oklahoma State and became an AA there. Can't remember his name, wasn't that long ago (5-10 years, maybe).

Cayle Byers

2009 was round of 12 at GMU, losing to the eventual 2nd and 3rd placers, 2-0 and 8-7.

then placed 3rd at Ok St in 2012 

On 3/13/2019 at 10:18 AM, jchapman said:

No, I hadn't noticed.  I am only vaguely aware that it is a university.  Where is it located and who are some wrestling alumni? 

It is the home of the inventor of glass Jars. That is why we have Mason Jars.

I figured this out myself - putting that great college education to work in spite of the concussions and coke bottle glasses.