Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Cassar's Rise

In an interview, Cael noted that Cassar started wrestling late, perhaps as a freshman in high school. 

At what age do most NCAA wrestlers start and how hard it is to become a D1 wrestler without starting before age 9 or so?

7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

In an interview, Cael noted that Cassar started wrestling late, perhaps as a freshman in high school. 

At what age do most NCAA wrestlers start and how hard it is to become a D1 wrestler without starting before age 9 or so?

Imo it really depends on the environment they are stepping in to and their base of athleticism. There was a wrestler several years back(can't remember the school but it was in Iowa) who went on to win a state title and didn't start until he was in high school. He was at around 135, but had a background in gymnastics, so all of the components of body control and balance were already there for him. He didn't go on to wrestle in college, but its just an example. 

Had another kid who didn't start until 8th grade who became a multiple time AA in the NAIA. Tough kid, and multiple sport athlete. Wrestling was't his focus until college. 

If you have a kid that steps into a high school program that develops basics, who is very athletic, I think it is possible to get to that D1 level. Examples are few and far between because of lack of experience obviously, but moreso, who starts the sport in 9th grade and says "This is going to be my focus"? I doubt there are many at all, especially when they are competing agains guys who have specialized since they were 5 years old. I also think it is a little easier at the higher weights where athleticism plays a much bigger part.